The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breaking 10th Strings
Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 3:39 pm    

I 've been wondering for some time if I'm the only one this happens to. Both of my Sho Buds (one's single raise & lower the other is "modern") break low B strings (36's) every couple of months. How strange is that?

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2002 4:43 pm    

That was pretty common with me also, at least for awhile. I have a '76 MSA, but I doubt that has much to do with it. I had wondered if it was partly because I was resting my palm fairly heavily on the bass strings, just to the left of the changer fingers. I assume that is where yours are breaking also. I think I have a fairly short throw on the A pedal, so that the whole-step raise is achieved quickly, with little motion. I guess that might be a factor. I'm not sure what the core diameter for the average 10th string is, but if it's fairly thick, that could contribute as well. The first thing to check, as you may know, would be to see if you have a significant burr or groove worn into the changer finger for that string.

Hap Young

Yuma, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 6:58 am    

Jeff. I was having that problem on my new Sierra. I contacted b0b and he told me to get some Jagwire strings instead of the brand I was using, and that ended the problem.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 8:47 am    

Jeff,

I break 10ths on my E9 neck all the time - well, more often than I feel I should, anyway.

I believe it's due to the sweat from my palm corroding that string - it always breaks at the 'changer' end, too. I was once told that some people's perspiration has a more acidic content than others.

I've taken to carrying .038"s on a three-to-one basis in my steel seat!

My guitar's a LeGrande III, by the way, but I used to have the same trouble on my old 'Pro III', too.

------------------
Roger Rettig

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 9:38 am    

....my E9 "just in case" string changes before shows are: 3, 5 & 10. (and the 2d string on the C6). www.genejones.com

Rob Hamilton

Acton, MA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 10:48 am    

The #10 string takes a lot more abuse than we sometimes think. It's going up and down in pitch every time we hit the A pedal, but in our minds, we're just raising the 5th string.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 11:06 am    

I break about one a year.
Carter, played a lot, strings changed every 4 or 6 weeks.

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 12:09 pm    

Jeff
I used to have a Sho-Bud and I pretty much broke all of them on a fairly routine basis. It was the worst guitar I ever had for keeping strings on. I have spoke to several Sho-Bud owners over the years and was told the same story. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Of course the builders of Sho-Bud will deny this!! And have to me before. I tried different string guages/manuf etc.. After about 6 years of pretty much putting on a new string, literally, every time I played my guitar, I bought a Sierra and sold the Sho-Bud. Same guy, same climate, same schedule, different guitar, no more breakage. Sorry Sho-Bud lovers, that's my story and I'm strickin' to it. [ ]
Whip

------------------
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string