The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  is there THE zane beck tuning and set-up for d-10s?
Kim West

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 3:17 am    

there is a WONDERFUL discussion replete with anecdotes and quotes from "the man" about the genuine zane beck tuning for an s-12. does there exist the "definitive tuning" for my d-10? if so, i'd love to read it, and apply the results to my own little red d-10. thanks, all. i look forward to this!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 7:26 am    

Kim I think Zane's objective with his tuning was to "lighten the load" and "trim the fat" from the multi-neck guitars and accomplish the same thing with fewer pedals, knees and strings. That seems to be what his tuning is all about. If he ever had any out of the norm ideas for double neck I never heard about it. FWIW!

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 9:11 am    

Re: Kim,
Kim,Sonny really summed it up very concisely.And,as far as I know,he is correct.
Perhaps GRAHAM GRIFITH could give us a more definitive statement on this,but as for a 10-string version,I would have to agree with Mitch Daniels,and say just omit strings 1 and 12. SOMETHING has to be sacrificed anytime you scale a 12-string tuning down to a 10. Through a lot of experimentation I have come up with this general "rule of thumb",where "universal" tunings are concerned:"When adapting a 12-string universal to a 10-string,you have to make a choice as to whether you will lean toward a "chord" type tuning(e.g.C6)or a "melodic" tuning such as E9." Again,I emphasize the phrase,"LEAN toward". Although some players have certainly created some ingenious ways to combine the best of all worlds into a 10-string tuning,IMHO there are always some compromises,henceforth the phrase,"lean toward" one tuning or the other. Perhaps some will disagree with me on this,but this has been my experience. I'll also share a bit of wisdom from TOM MORRELL: Tom told me 20 years ago that anytime you subtract a string from a tuning,you have to add at least 2 levers or 2 pedals or 1 of each to compensate for the loss of that string. Even though this could open a whole new thread of discussion,my experience has upheld and verified Tom's wisdom, to my own satisfaction. I said all of that to say this:basically you have a choice of either deleting strings 1 and 12,or strings 11 and 12,depending on whether you want to lean toward C6 or E9 to compliment your own style of playing,using a 10-string version of Zane's tuning. I know this is a lot more than you asked for,but I thought it might help you in your decision.
W.C.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 4:44 am    

Kim........

Check with Mr. Gary McVay of the "Smoky Mountain Jubilee" show in Pigeon Forge. He uses the Zane Beck tuning on his Axe.

I had a very nice discussion with him about the tunning setup and he IS a master of it. He give several reasons for useing that tunning setup,all of which seem to be quite acceptible to a player who wishes to maximize the mimumum hardware and get the max sound and "lick" tricks from a Steel guitar. He also runs a recording studio there in Pigeon Forge. A most nice and interesting fellow I have ever meet......

I must admit tho,the tunning setup isn't one that I could be comfortable with as I have played the E9th setup for many years.

You can reach Gary at:
http:/www.smokymountaiinjubilee.com

Hope this helps

Kim West

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 4:46 pm    

sonny, wayne, bill--thanks! i knew i'd find out here. i'll contact gary mcvay when i'm done here, bill. i figure since i'm still "just learning", i might as well have it like zane. i don't have anything to unlearn, either. thanks again, guys.