The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Post War Rickenbacher B6 value?
Jon den Boer

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 11:10 pm    

I'm reaching out to the knowledgable here, and I know there are many... there's a fellow selling one of these locally, and it looks to be in very nice condition. I don't know tho much about these, but i seem to recall a post somewhere that bakelite is fragile and finicky about temperature and humidity? Also, I know these aren't as collectible as pre war models, but I'm not too worried about that, as long as it's a good sounding/playing steel. Are the smaller horseshoes comparable to the earlier bigger ones? Any info is greatly appreciated... oh, and it's a 1946 to '48 model I believe. Also, what would a fair price be?

Thanks so much:)

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:15 am     I realize it's only MY opinion but.................

If I had the choice between the prewar and postwar, I'd take the prewar.........

On the other hand, I made a dozen recordings in a studio environment using both the prewar and postwar guitars and quite honestly I cannot tell the difference or which one was which.

Simple adjustments of the guitar and amp 'knobs' plus where you place your picking hand, will give you whatever sound you desire.

Good Luck!

I've paid an average of about $850 for my postwar Ricks.