The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dan Tyack tuning
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2002 4:04 am    

I spent a great afternoon with Dan last Saturday and he turned me on to changes he has made to his E9th tuning. One of the changes is replacing the D note/string with the B and adding a low E to the 10th string. I tried it, I like it, time will tell.

His has a few other ideas he can tell you about for both the E and C necks

Thanks Dan for a nice day.

Larry Behm

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 5:40 am    

I think this is a great idea especially if you have a single 10. On your knee lever which raises 4 & 8 to F you can also lower your 10th string E to C# for a "BooWah" type of sound. Also on your C pedal you can add a raise to F# on the 10th string and when used with the B pedal you can get some nice C6th type voicing in the lower register. As far as your D string missing. I think if I had a guitar like this I'd lower the 8th string to D instead of raising the 9th string B to D as some folks do. You can get some pretty things by doing this. Also you can play the low guitar parts to Honky Tonk, Memphis, etc. Great for blues shuffles.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 01 October 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 8:07 am    

I have a double neck guitar but I don't have a 'boo-wah' pedal on my C neck either. I did this to be able to play rhythm like Chuck Campbell (and Keith Richards), but it has a lot of advantages. So far, I don't miss the E9th. Here's a link to the tuning: http://tyack.com/Technical%20stuff.htm

------------------
www.tyack.com

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 8:17 am    

Having traveled this trail,also,I can say that all the above is good advice. Here are some more options: If you put a light gauged E string in #10 position (an .044 or .046)you can tune it to E or to G#. Then,by placing a third pull rod on the B pedal,you can pull the E to F# or the G# to A,simply by doing a little re-tuning. If the rod is in the correct slot/hole in the bellcrank,you will only have to re-tune the string & the tuning nut to go from one to the other. Also, on most steels, you can place the pull rod in the hole/slot farthest from the body of the guitar and pull the low E string all the way up to an "A" note. I don't really recommend this one for everyday use because it rapidly wears out the big E string. I'm giving away some of my secrets here, but they say "The joy is in the giving."! Have fun playing!
W.C.

Wayne Cox

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 8:36 am    

Dan, I just checked out your "Sacred Steel" setup. I like it! It's starting to get closer to something I would use. Next time I get in one of my "Gotta try something new" modes,I'll probably try that on my back neck.
This is what happens when we all share;we all gain! Thanks!!
W.C.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 9:24 am    

Dan, the one thing that I don't quite get on your tuning is the way you raise E to F# on RKR and lower the other E to D# on RKL. By putting both changes on the right knee, you can never get the V (B major) position.

Or are you getting the 10th string D# with the half-stop on LKR?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 3:49 pm    

That's a good point, b0b. I guess I don't really use that combination a whole lot. And actually if you 'fram' the lower 5 strings with pedal b and lowering 4 and 8 a half, you get kind of an interesting sus 5 chord (but then I am partial to interior minor second intervals in chord voicings, others might find it wierd sounding). I'm sure there are other specific voicings that I am missing with this tuning, but for me there is so much more there that I couldn't go back to the E9th. I would love to have a low B, however. Sometimes I think I really want a double 11. But not so bad that I would give up my Franklins.

------------------
www.tyack.com

Wayne Cox

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 6:09 pm    

Hey DAN TYACK! About all I've done for the last three days is take my S-12 apart and put it back together with different tunings and ideas. I tried the Zane Beck setup,which is great but just not for me. I've had a sound in my head that I've tried and tried to capture on steel. I finally found it! Using the "Sacred Steel" concept I created my own version and tuned it to D. Wow,what a rich,incredibly full sound! I incorporated a sixth in mine. In E (left to right is high to low)the open tuning would be: F#~G#~E~C#~B~G#~E~E~B~E;in D it is:E~F#~D~B~A~F#~D~D~A~D...thanks again to you and b0b for sharing your ideas!
W.C.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 8:04 pm    

Putting it in D must give you some really powerful sounding strums on the low end, Wayne. Cool idea! Be sure to post the pedals for us when you get them all sorted out.

You said it was an S-12, but I only count 10.

Wayne Cox

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2002 10:09 am    

Re:Bobby Lee,
b0b,I did put the setup on my S-12,but with only 10 strings. I wanted to perfect it as a 10-string setup so I could use it on the back neck of my D-10. I am presently using 5 pedals and 5 levers,but I will probably eliminate one of the pedals as soon as Sierra sends me another pull rod for one of the levers. After playing my "3-D" tuning for a couple of days around the house,I took my other steel out on the job; C6 and E9 both sounded empty somehow. I am taking my Sierra with the 3-D setup out tonight for a real "on the job" test. The doubled root notes sound great but I'm a little concerned about the doubled thirds with pedals A & B down. They are high thirds but I am not sure how they will fit in with the over-all sound of the band. I'll keep you posted!
W.C.