The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BJS bars, worth the $?
Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 2:49 pm    

I've used various bars over the past 50 years. BJS is the best I've ever used. Great bar, outstanding customer service from Butch.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 3:15 pm    

I have other bars, and when I got my BJS bar, the others stay in a box at home. YES they are worth it!!!

Doug Paluch

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 5:41 pm    

Ive visited the site often, and the jeweled 7/8 psg bar is never in stock. Is this normal? Do you order anyway, and wait for a response?

Bud Harger

Temple / Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 3:04 am     An enthusiastic YES

Silky is the word. I have several jeweled 1" bars and they are all consistently perfect.

Worth every dime!

bUd

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 7:59 am    

I love mine. I bought it from Bill shortly before his untimely death. It has a blue sapphire and compliments my patriot blue Zum.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 8:15 am    

I have used a few different BJS bars over the years but my favorite is the 15/16's John Hughey model, bless his soul.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 6:14 pm    

Yes they are worth the price.
I own two of them.
One birthstone and one plain nose.

"BUT, I can't remember ever seeing someone posting a BJS bar for sale or trade."

They do come up for sale every so often, and they usually get sold quickly.

Rick

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 1:48 pm    

Best bar on the planet by a long way IMO..
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 1:53 pm    

Yep !... Mr. Green
got me 2 of 'em

Josh Rossow

Mchenry, Illinois
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 2:54 pm    

Love the BJS bars they sound great. Butch is a great guy to deal with and talk to as well. Just got in last week a 12 string 1" Hughey from Butch, I also have a 12 string 15/16 Hughey that I've been using for a while.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 2:09 am    

I have the 15/16 10 string even though I play a 12 string universal, so still easier to "left" hand block with my 2nd finger Smile ..it's harder with the 12 string bar for me, my fingers are not too long Winking

Micky Byrne U.K.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 4:50 am    

Yes...For me Not only do they help to a degree, The level of care changed quite differently, For the Better of course.

Like a little kid with a new bike,
Liars quote : MY MOM SAYS YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO RIDE MY BIKE ...

Its all mental any way you look at it,
You`ll see... Smile

André Sommer

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2012 4:47 pm    

I'm still using the very same bar that Bill personally gave to me as a present when I played with The United Steels of Europe in St.Louis back in the '80's.

It's the only bar I use and this thing has seen an incredible amount of mileage since then (I'm a professional steel player).

I did lose the birthstone many years ago and it has a very small dent in it after it hit the pedalboard once but it is still the best bar I've ever laid my hands on. I wouldn't use any other brand than BJS bars.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2012 10:15 pm     BJS bars

After playing 5dollar Ernie Ball bars for almost 40yrs of playing pedal steel, I bought a BJS bar at the Texas Steel Guitar Show in March 2012,from one of the nicest men I've ever met. Butch Gardner told me to take the bar and go play one of the many steels on display. I told him that wasn't necessary, that I would just take the bar. He said, " If you don't like it, I'll buy it back. "I thought, you can't beat a deal like that, so I got home, sat down at my Emmons LeGrande, and the magic happened. That BAR!!!! is slicker than snot, and absolutely a game changer for me. WORTH EVERY penny!!!!!

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2012 10:17 pm     BJS bars

After playing 5dollar Ernie Ball bars for almost 40yrs of playing pedal steel, I bought a BJS bar at the Texas Steel Guitar Show in March 2012,from one of the nicest men I've ever met. Butch Gardner told me to take the bar and go play one of the many steels on display. I told him that wasn't necessary, that I would just take the bar. He said, " If you don't like it, I'll buy it back. "I thought, you can't beat a deal like that, so I got home, sat down at my Emmons LeGrande, and the magic happened. That BAR!!!! is slicker than snot, and absolutely a game changer for me. WORTH EVERY penny!!!!!

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 3:18 am    

I actually purchased one of these bars based on this thread. I used it on a gig last night and was kinda blown away by the way it seems to glide. I also think that there is maybe something happening with the balance of the bar as it feels a little different in my hand.
Butch was very nice to deal with. In the words of the country tune "I love this bar."

Butch Gardner

Three Way, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 7:20 am    

What an endorsement.... Thanks to all for sharing your honest feedback. Some of you I have had the pleasure of meeting, some of us have talked or emailed, and others I hope to meet. I don't advertise, and therefore depend on word of mouth and feedback through forums like this.

Thanks, Butch

Joe Stewart

Way Out West
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 6:04 pm    

Yup, happy to endorse Butch and his BJS Bars. I purchased a new 7/8" John Hughey from Butch earlier this year, and its leaps and bounds superior to a number of others I own. In addition, the customer service you can expect from Butch is top-notch.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 9:17 am    

Hi Butch. I just got my new bar in the mail. It arrived safe and sound. I cant explain how nice it plays. You must have put some pixie dust in it because it is great! What a difference going from a dunlop 920 to a BJS bar. I am smiling ear to ear.
Like hundreds of others said, I am going to say it again.
They are worth the money!

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2012 10:47 pm    

Oh Well Left mine at home one time played the night with a 17mm extended socket !!! twas not my best gig!

yes worth the price and more.....

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 3:03 pm    

I got mine around 1991. A gift from a friend. Still use it.

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 4:45 pm     BJS bars worth the money?

Don't think my opinion is worth very much, since I am relatively new at the pedal steel guitar; however, I played in a Country-Western band for 25 years or so and had a PSG player almost always during that time. I'm not sure if BJS bars were even available back then, but I do know that the bars I remember picking up which belonged to my steel players were no where near as precision built as the BJS bars! They did not have the smooth shiney slick finish that the BJS bars have. I absolutely love mine and would never think of wasting my money on trying a different bar. I know I could not find one any better! So, for me are BJS bars worth the $$? A definite and resounding, YES!!! Roger Smile Smile

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2012 4:57 am     BJS Bars

Are they worth it? Absolutely, Butch is a Master Craftsman who has carried on the torch that Bill has passed on to him.

I recently had Butch make me a bar for my 14 string and I can say that it has been a pleasure to play and use.

Butch has continued to build upon the legacy that Bill intrusted to his keeping. I have 4 BJS bars, including the one Bill made for Julian Tharpe, and this last one is my favorite. Butch takes pride in the work he does and it simply shows.

You get what you pay for so why settle for anything less than the best,

Thanks again Butch,

Dan (BMI)

Cliff Trent

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2012 8:19 am     te best!!

I have two and wouldn't take for either one!! Love 'em!!

Jim Curtain

Phoenix,Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2012 5:10 pm    

Eagerly awaiting my new BJS bar!