The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing in cold weather
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 3:37 am    

I just did 4 nights outdoors in Saratoga CA last week and it gets cold there at night in September. My old Sho-Bud stayed in tune surprisingly well but the problem was that I had trouble moving my fingers. I bundled up the best I could but my hands were cold by the fourth tune and had trouble when I needed to do any fast picking. Does anyone else have this problem or have any ideas for a solution? The guitar player thought it was odd because he felt fine but then again he was standing up and jumping around on stage. That probably helps the blood circulate better.

Thanks, Dave Z

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 5:12 am    

I don't what you mean by 'cold' but I've played outdoors (and indoors) in some COLD conditions.

I don't believe there's a solution to the 'fast licks' thing. Not only could I not move my fingers quickly but I couldn't even find my way around the strings very well.

I compensated by playing quarter, half and whole notes while using exaggerated syncopation and lots of melodic movement w/pedals and levers.

poop
I don't know what I was thinkin', Ray!

[This message was edited by Marty Pollard on 01 October 2002 at 02:12 PM.]

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 5:34 am    

I've got a little portable heater for just this reason. If it will be chilly by the end of the show (or at the onset), I put this on one of my flight cases and set it next to me.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 9:01 am    

Dave, Get yourself some hand warmers, the kind that come in little packages. You crush them by squeezing them, which releases chemicals that combine to create heat. They heat usually lasts a couple of hours. You stick them in your pockets and put your hands on them to keep warm, between sets, or even between songs. You can buy them at ski equipmemt shops.

Steve Miller

Long Beach, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 9:14 am    

I use an electric heating pad to sit on. You'd be amazed at how well this works. Once you get your body temperature up your hands loosen up. It's easier to carry than a heater and works better, IMO.
sgm

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 9:28 am    

Thanks for the great ideas guys! DZ

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 9:57 am    

Keep your bar in a warm spot. I sat on mine, no, not standing up, between songs.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2002 12:47 pm    

The chemical idea sounded most unique. But didn't they have pocket warmers for hunters and outdoorsman....that's shiney metal, flat like a flask, fits into the pocket or where ever and heats for a long time. One could move it around, pocket to pocket and all. Just an idea..........probably not good.
Nice, helpful, non-offensive input there Marty.... Keep up the good work!
We luv ya!

Al Burk

Pasadena,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 7:05 pm    

Dave,
It's usually hot or warm in the Houston and Southeast Texas area but can get mighty cold around February and March. I hate playing in weather below 50 degrees.

I've discovered that the part of the hand that gets the coldest is the tops of the fingers between the first joint and the middle joint. Try rubbing that part of the fingers on the tops of your pants or jeans. The friction usually does wonders for me.

As far as picking goes stay away from banjo rolls using all your fingers. Try the two finger method using the thumb and middle finger. If it's real cold I usually hold the two stiff and rock my hand. Work up some backup riffs in case you need them later.

Hope this helps

Jim West

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 7:20 am    

I saw a gal playing a harp outside in December. She wore lite wool gloves with the finger tips cut out.

Jim West

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 7:34 am    

I saw a gal playing a harp outside in December. She wore lite wool gloves with the finger tips cut out.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2002 7:11 am    

Being from the Great White North, I've played in all kinds of cold gigs and I hate them all. Out here in western Canada, even summer gigs can be cold if the weather doesn't cooperate. I've never thought of the sitting on the heating pad idea, that might work. After a certain point, you definitely have to reduce the speed of the licks that you attempt.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2002 9:57 am    

Quote:
you definitely have to reduce the speed of the licks that you attempt.
I do that normally, save a few notes for the next solo.

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2002 12:42 pm    

I bought a pair of those cheap,cloth,brown gloves and cut the finger tips out, and reduced my expectations. However, I like Jeff's idea best. I just wish there were more ski shops in Louisiana!
W.C.

[This message was edited by Wayne Cox on 04 October 2002 at 01:44 PM.]

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2002 8:25 pm    

How about a heated bar. Just kidding.
That bar can start to feel like you are holding a popsicle in your hand though. Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2002 7:39 am    

Hey JimBob---that´s a very real consideration...I´ve played gigs that were so cold, I would slip my hands (and bar) under my arms between songs.

------------------

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2002 9:51 am    

The tendons in my fingers stiffen up as the temp gets cooler. I use "Capsaicin 0.075%", very sparingly, available over the counter at just about any drug store. I never aply it myself, I have someone else put it on. Keep your hands away from your eyes if you try it. That's why if someone else puts it on for you, they can wash their hands imediatly!!!
I'm sure there are several other oinments that are simalure.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo