The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Pacer Amp - Custom Cabinet
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 4:42 pm    

I'm still downsizing and have some older Peavey amps that I never use so they need to go to someone who will.

This is a Pacer chassis, in a custom white pine cabinet. I built this for a small, lightweight practice amp with dual 8" Eminence Neodymium speakers. The speakers are 4 ohms each and hooked in series to match the 8 ohm amp output. I think the speakers are rated at 125 watts each, and the amp output rating is 50 watts RMS, so they handle the power well. The corners of the cabinet are dovetailed for strength and looks and it has a clear lacquer finish, and a leather handle. I replaced the short reverb spring unit with a long one mounted in the bottom of the cabinet which makes the reverb sound much better. I had a custom cover made for it, but they made the handle opening too long and would not make me a new one, so I closed up the extra opening with black duct tape. It works, but it ain't too pretty.

I sent the chassis to Peavey a few weeks ago and had them check it out. They found a few questionable solder joints that they touched up and everything is within specs. I replaced the filter caps a couple of months ago, so, everything should be in good shape. If you didn't know, the Pacer was the basis for the Session 400 and LTD 400 amps which have basically the same preamp, just more powerful power sections. This amp sounds good with steel and guitar in my studio, I haven't tried it on a bandstand, but it's plenty loud for practice, small gigs, or recording. The cabinet has an Evans style spring loaded handle on the bottom for tilting it back as shown in one of the pictures.

The price is $225.00 shipping included in the lower 48, and I will take Paypal.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 8:48 pm     PV Pacer

Darvin, I will take it. Send me your payment info. Thanks!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:04 am    

Message sent Eddie. Thanks
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Ryan Quinn

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:34 am    

Looks like this is sold - and I don't have the cash to buy it anyway - but I wanted to say that this is a very handsome amp. Looks great!