The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which steel is which???
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 7:42 am    

I posted something similar many years ago, and we had some fun with it.. I played 6 different cuts using 3 different brand steels that all sounded very close , for whatever reason... I would like to have you gys listen to me playing the 2 steels I currently have .. One is an old Fender 800, and one is a Carter with a Truetone set up to Fender specs... I played them both into a 3 watt SS Aria toy amp with a 4 in speaker I bought at a garage sale for $3.. just used some delay and never changed settings on the amp. Recorded it with a dollar store mike into the computer sound recorder. Not very high tech.
I was doodling around a D/G progession, and I can hear some minor variations, but to my ears these guitars are really close.. Several people here have told me my Carter does NOT sound like a Fender, but I always thought it did, so I did this little experiment, and wanted to see what you guys thought... Anyone able to hear a big difference??... Listen to Doodle 1 and Doodle 2, and compare. let me know your thoughts, and if you think these are similar sounding guitars.. Remember, the Carter has an aluminum neck, and Mica, so the bodies are very different... bob

http://soundcloud.com/spongebob-7/doodle-2

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 7:48 am    

My guess...

Doodle 1 = Fender
Doodle 2 = Carter

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 8:10 am    

I can not tell which is which. That little amp really does not do much justice to the low notes.

I listened to doodle 2 first, then doodle 1, then 2 again.

The beginning of Doodle 1 was more pleasing to my ears.
The beginning of Doodle 2 had a harshness that your other doodle did not.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 8:28 am    

To me Doodle 1 has a warmer sound and sounds more like a Carter.
Then Doodle 2 has much a brighter sound like my old Fender had.

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 8:53 am    

similar sound. guessing 1 = fender, 2 = carter.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 10:33 am    

To me:
Doodle 1 Carter
Doodle 2 Fender
Audible difference in the tone for sure.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 11:54 am    

I'd say 1 Fender, 2 Carter.
I'd also say the slapback is too loud. The kind of delay I find almost disorienting. But that's just me

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 2:42 pm    

1 Carter
2 Fender

??????

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 2:58 pm    

I agree with Brendon.
1 Carter
2 Fender

I liked both, but the tone of the second sounded better to me. Of course, that's not fair because it's as much a comment on the amplifier as the steel.

Ironically, I myself have both a Fender 800 and a Carter, but neither of them sounds like either of your samples when I play them. Embarassed Laughing

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 3:25 pm    

Both were really good but im gonna say one is carter two is fender.

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 3:26 pm    

I don't have a Fender or a Carter and can't identify them.
However, I think Doodle 1 is the better sounding one and has a greater tonal color palette that goes from a sweet pure tone type sound to one with richer harmonics and an edge to it. Doodle 2 has that edge present to a degree throughout the entire sample.

Doodle 1 has the beautiful sound I associate with Weldon Myrick.

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 4:01 pm    

1 Carter
2 Fender

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 6:37 pm    

They both do sound 'Fender-like', my reference on this being that classic Sneaky Pete sound. Doodle2 sounds more midrangey to me, in contrast to the somewhat thinner sound of Doodle1.

I'm gonna guess Fender = Doodle2, Carter = Doodle1. But if I heard either of these separately and someone said, "That's an old Fender.", I wouldn't argue.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 9:14 pm    

Quote:
I'd also say the slapback is too loud. The kind of delay I find almost disorienting. But that's just me

Too much. I couldn't even listen all the way to the end of the clips.

Try it again through a "real" amp and dump the delay so we get a real picture of the sound, and ask again.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 4:16 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Quote:

Too much. I couldn't even listen all the way to the end of the clips.

Try it again through a "real" amp and dump the delay so we get a real picture of the sound, and ask again.

Geez, tough crowd...
I liked the delay actually, didn't think it was that awful to listen to.. anyway,
I ditched the amp and the delay, and am now running through an old all tube Traynor Studio Mate w 20 watts, and 4 8 inch weber speakers.. its actually a big sounding amp, but these are NOT big sounding guitars.. they are bright, vintage sounding E9 guitars, thats what I like.
I also changed up the style using just 2 pedals and 1 lever, and doing more palm blocking.. The the first 2 "doodle"clips I used lots and lots of pedals and levers bending all over the place, and I didn't block much, just ran the notes into one another, and that magnified the delay effect, because actually, I wasn't using much delay at all.
So check out the two clips at the Soundcloud site marked Ditty 1 and Ditty 2.. Let me know what you think.. As of right now, it looks like a majority have guessed corectly.. This is kind of fun for me.. I have always felt the sound of a steel was more in the pickup, hands of the player, amp, and EQ than the body, and like to use threads like this to prove it... Of course, I am recording through worthless toys here, and not real equipment, but still a lot of the character[or lack thereof] comes through.. These are pretty close sounding in my opinion, and kudos to Jerry Wallace.. Many years ago, I told him I wanted my Carter to sound like an old Fender, and he sent me the pickup you are hearing on the Carter...
btw guys,Thank you all for humoring me!... Please listen to the Ditty 1 and 2 clips, and take a guess.... bob

http://soundcloud.com/spongebob-7/doodle-2

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 6:27 am    

The clips are still marked "Doodle 1" and "Doodle 2", I assume you over-wrote the others.

Changes nothing, the character of the guitars came through the same, to my ears. My guesses remain the same - Fender = 2, Carter = 1 with same comment - if I heard 'em in an isolated way and someone told me, "That's an old Fender.", I still wouldn't argue with them, especially if it was in a mix,.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 6:43 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
The clips are still marked "Doodle 1" and "Doodle 2", I assume you over-wrote the others.

Changes nothing, the character of the guitars came through the same, to my ears. My guesses remain the same - Fender = 2, Carter = 1 with same comment - if I heard 'em in an isolated way and someone told me, "That's an old Fender.", I still wouldn't argue with them, especially if it was in a mix,.

Dave... thats weird.. They are maked ditty 1 and 2.
You did hear the two little Brumley rip off clips right?
They are right under where it says
More tracks by SPONGEBOB... In any case, to me, the guitars sound closer in these more uptempo clips... I can hear some differences, mostly because I know which clip had more fumbles in my playing. LOL.. thats one thing you can count on with me... fumbles....bob

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 7:21 am    

I'm still getting "Doodle 1" and "Doodle 2". I cleared my cache and refreshed the page. Here's a screenshot:

I agree that there is a certain sonic signature on each that is similar, but they sound like different guitars to me. The way they react sounds different, and "Doodle 1" sounds a bit smoother, with more of a mids-scooped sound. Personally, I prefer "Doodle 2" - more in-your-face and cutting.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 7:52 am    

Sorry I was so blunt, Bob. I just think most steel players I hear, play with too much delay and I think it detracts from what they could really sound like. Some have that distinct second note that appears after the first one. To me it sounds awful. I thought what you played was real nice. Just too much delay for me to tell what the guitar really sounds like. Also, for us to really tell, it should be played through a type of amp we are more accustomed to hearing. If we are used to Peavey's, Webbs, Evans, etc... and you try it through a transistor radio (extreme example), there's really not much chance of identifying which is which.

I also still get the Doodle 1 & 2 and not the new files.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 8:14 am    

...so which was the right answer ? Oh Well

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 8:23 am    

Guys.. sorry for being a moron.. Somehow, I downloaded ditty 1 and 2 as private.. Try the link, listen to those two little "ditty" clips. They are quite different than the doodle clips.. Alan, let a few more guys hear the new clips, and we'll discuss which is which... I am enjoying this, and I want to have a few more guys hear the clips without the delay... bob

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 8:45 am    

OK, ditty1 and ditty2 now showing up.

The new clips show off different aspects of the sound of the guitars, but my comments are pretty much the same.

To me, it's amazing how much both of the original doodle clips have that Sneaky sound, even through your little toy amp.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:29 am    

Very nice Bob. I'll be honest and say I can hear a difference, but I'll be darned if I can tell you which is which. A wild guess would be the Carter on #1, but I am sure that will probably be wrong. Again, nice playing.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:36 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
OK, ditty1 and ditty2 now showing up.

The new clips show off different aspects of the sound of the guitars, but my comments are pretty much the same.

To me, it's amazing how much both of the original doodle clips have that Sneaky sound, even through your little toy amp.

Dave.. Its only my opinion, but I think its simply the combination of the delay, and the fact that I was not really blocking.. Plus he was a major influence for years.. I never really copied him, but over the years, some of what I heard just rubbed off into my playing. Dave, i trust your ears as much or more than I trust my own, and to have you even mention Pete's sound on a thread I posted about my steels is a great compliment.
bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:53 am    

Doodle 1-Carter
Doodle 2-Fender 800

Ditty 1-Fender
Ditty 2- Carter

I too can now hear some differences on the Soundcloud site.. Not sure but they seem to "enhance" the download.. It always sounds better after its downloaded there, than when its stored on my desktop.. maybe I'mm crazy.

However, for the most part, when I play the Carter with the coil switch in the 8K ohm position, Its really very close to the same sound as my Fender, except the Fender has less bass than the already very bright Carter...
Actually, the Fender seems to have pickup problems.. There is very low output, and I no longer get a reading on my ohm meter. Shows up as an open.. Infinite resistance, unless I play with the volume conrtol, in which case the impedance varies between 0-19 ohms, depending on where the pot is...
Wide open pot,I get no reading.
I doubt I'll fix it anyway... If I need a Fender sound, I'll play the Carter.. It plays easier anyway.. Actually, the old Fender plays as well as anything I have even played from that era.. Comparable to a well set up Sho bud of that day..

Thanks again my good friends, for humoring me!.... bob