The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro I Blond E9S10 - T Bradshaw Refurb (sold pls cls)
Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 11:28 am    

Well, I am sad to admit defeat, but developing proficiency with the Pedal Steel is going to be more than I can take on in my musical lifetime and I am selling. I bought this beautiful blond Sho-Bud Pro I (stamped 4137 ~70s?!?!) from Tom Bradshaw about three years ago. He refurbished it, as reflected in his standard red velvet under body. It is setup E9 with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. The pickup is coil split (though to my ears, I can’t see why you would use the lowered output position). It is a beautiful instrument and I will miss having it, but there’s a Guild F-50R calling my name.

Special Notes - I’m including a Sho-Bud volume pedal I picked up from one of Tom’s acquaintances. To get my long legs under the instrument (I’m 6’4”), Tom also built up two longer front legs, so the pedal rod/cross brace distance would be fixed, rather than using extension collars. Getting standard length Sho-Bud legs from Tom should not be a problem.

I’m asking $1600. If you are interested or want to ask private questions, please send me a PM through the forum.

I must say, it is tough to let go of this instrument. The Pedal Steel community has been very supportive and greatly expanded my musical horizons. I guess I'll just have to "pay" for steel accompaniment to my music from now on, like everyone else. Wink

Last edited by Scott Shewbridge on 20 Jul 2012 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 4:28 pm    

There have been some inquiries about the guitar and I thought I'd make the information available to everyone.

1) I have contacted Tom Bradshaw and he and I can get original size legs and pedal rods, rather than the current long ones, if the buyer wants them. We also believe they are available from Bobbe Seymour. You can work with Tom and Bobbe directly, or if you prefer, I will take care of it before shipping (Tom lives near me and I always enjoy visiting with him).

2) I would consider a trade, but really the only thing I would be interested in is a Westerly Rhode Island Guild F-50r, so unless you have one....

3) If you are not interested in the Sho-Bud volume pedal, I will consider offers for the guitar alone, not including the pedal.

I appreciate the expressed interest. If anyone has any other questions, please post away or if you prefer, send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Scott

Fred Tingle

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 4:48 pm    

Hi Scott,
I wish I had a Guild F50r from Westerley RI to trade.
That red velvet is a nice touch
ft

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2012 3:24 am    

pm sent. thanks Scott

Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:43 pm    

Can you tell me how the KL are set-up?

Thanks!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 2:42 am    

looks like RKR raises Es, RKL lowers them.
LKL raises 1 and 7, LKR lowers 2 and 9

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 9:43 am    

Hi all, Sorry to be slow in responding. I've been swamped with work.

The copedent is set up Buddy Emmons E9, as suggested by Mickey Adams:

http://www.richardsinkler.net/mickey_adams/adams_copedent.html

Mickey uses F=RKR, E=RKL, D=LKR and G=LKL.

I'll map it out ASCII, but ya gotta give me a little more time.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 9:59 am    

Are you positive you lower the G# to F#? That rod looks like it goes to 7, not 6.
That's not a huge change to make, though.

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 10:07 am    

Open--1------2------3------LKL------LKR------RKL----RKR
F#---------------------------G#
D#------------------------------------D/C#
G#------------A
E---------------------F#-------------------------Eb-------F
B------C#------------C#
G#------------A
F#---------------------------G
E-------------------------------------------------Eb-------F
D---------------------------------------C#
B------C#

Last edited by Scott Shewbridge on 2 Jul 2012 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 10:08 am    

I think I got the ASCII to show correctly now. I'll check right now Lane. Thanks for backstopping me. Smile

Checked. Good eye Lane. I think the ASCII is correct now. Thanks again for the help.

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 6:01 pm    

Scott,
Does this guitar have a double raise/single lower changer?
Thanks.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 3:29 am    

so the knee levers are reversed from the normal emmons set-up on this guitar ??

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 4:55 pm    

I just got an email from Tom Bradshaw. From memory he thought the #7 raise was only a half step. I checked again and corrected the copedent chart again. I apologize for not having this at the tips of my fingers, I have really only advanced to 3 pedals and 1 knee lever, so I hadn't yet learned about the other 3 knee levers.

I don't know if the guitar is the opposite of the standard Emmons copedent, more knowledgeable people than I may be able to chime in with answers.

Tom is available to help change the copedent to whatever anyone else might want. I think that might have to occur outside of this transaction though. I'm selling the instrument with the copedent it has. I can get the guitar to Tom and then take care of shipping it to the buyer, after he is done, if desired.

Tom also reminded me to explain again why the guitar legs are long - I'm 6'4" tall and needed the extra room under the guitar for my legs. I will offer to help coordinate with Tom for anyone who wants the guitar with standard legs. Or if you want to get them from somewhere else, that is fine too.

Thanks all for the interest. This is a lovely instrument that IMO deserves to be played and heard.

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 6:09 pm    

I'm learning more about the instrument every minute. Again my apologies for my ignorance and my thanks for your patience.

Here are two pictures that will probably help folks more knowledgeable than I figure out the changer-types. Based on their action and configuration, I believe strings 4 and 5 are double-raise/single-lower types and the rests are single-raise / single-lowers. Currently, the number 5 string is only being used for raises.

In the pictures, you can also see the jack and switch for the coil splitter. If I were keeping the guitar, I would probably resolder the switch wires, they're not quite as nice as I prefer, though they work fine right now.

Robert Daniels

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 6:36 pm    

Does anyone know how hard it would be to flip the LN levers with the RN so I would have my E's on the left? I switched mine to be more "standard" while learning, but not sure if this is an easy change on this guitar. Seems like it wouldn't be hard.

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 7:55 pm    

Sale pending. I will close the thread when the transaction is closed. Thank you all for your interest and help. It is much appreciated. Very Happy

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 7:08 pm    

The guitar has been sold and the deal has closed; A donation to the Forum has been made.

I wanted to give a big thanks to Tom Bradshaw for all his help with the guitar and its sale. You are truly a gift and blessing to the Steel Guitar community.

I also wanted to thank everyone here for their interest and help with the sale, especially Lane for your help with the copedent.

Happy trails all.