The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right hand possition?
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 7:57 am    

Quick question/observation for ya. In another topic last week, we talked about the dynamic differences in your right hand possition(closer to the bridge/treble vs. closer to the bar/fat).

Last night I was fooling around way up the neck, and I have been really gun shy because my tone gets a little shrill up there. But last night,anytime I went above the 12th fret, I started picking closer to the bar than bridge, and my shrillness went away.

My question, is this a common thing that most players do? I really dug what it did for the tone up there, and dont really care if it is right or wrong, but just wanted to know if this was a common practice.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:11 am    

Quote:
and dont really care if it is right or wrong

That's the right attitude! BTW, FWIW, it's wrong. You shouldn't have to make big adjustments to your picking position to avoid shrillness above the 12th fret. This answer isn't for you. It's for other relatively new players who may be looking for guidance, and I don't want them to be misled. Regards.

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 20 August 2002 at 09:14 AM.]

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:59 am    

Jeff, do you move your picking hand position at all, or is it always in the same place?

Went back and re-read my post, and "I dont really care" came off a bit harsh. I DO CARE! All musical instruments are ideosyncaratic(thank god!), and we all need to compensate for the differences from instrument to instrument. Case in point, I have an acoustic that sounds dreadfull unless you pick right on top of the bridge. Most people would tell me that this is the "wrong" place to pick, but on this specific axe, it is warranted.

Thanks Jeff!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 9:25 am    

I agree with Jeff.....but also have a few points.
I know some of the things I do with my pickin' hand are not of proper technique.....but........
I do know what I like to hear and I do so many things with my right hand to get what I want to hear.
My right hand rarely stays in the same place.....as I move it quite a bit for the different style/sound I want. I also believe in several different pickin' techiques to achieve that sound I have in my head for a particular song or style I'm trying to pull off.....
Learn proper technique first....and then expand to other techniques as they come to you......and this is one that you metioned that came to you for a certain sound you are wanting to hear from your particular steel guitar......"and that's a good thing"...stay with it....but never under estimate the power of proper technique first and foremost.
Ricky

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 1:00 pm    

Matt- I am a beginner 2yrs into pedal steel.
Reece Anderson preaches consistency and I have found picking in only one position is working for me.Until you can pick all your grips cleanly and play up tempo without any clangers I would not recommend moving up and down the fret board. When your good like Ricky, you can use it to your advantage.

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 3:27 pm    

As a beginner interested in right-hand technique, when I went to the Texas Jamboree, I observed as closely as possible the right hands of those great players. I can say that most did not move their right hands very often. I also noticed that almost all shaped their hands as Buddy Emmons does, keeping the knuckle of the index finger high and their hand high on the strings so that the little finger rested over the 1st string. Those who had a flatter shaped hand (like Joe Wright) sounded to me like they were primarily pick blocking.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 4:42 pm    

Matt, I suspect the reason the "shrillness" went away as you picked closer to the bar was that you weren't picking as hard as you did down near the bridge. Next time you try it, set your volume pedal...and then remove your foot, close your eyes, and notice if your volume is the same with both techniques. I think it's your pick attack, and not the right hand position, that's causing that "shrillness" you're hearing.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 4:50 pm    

As you get up past the 12th fret your bar technique can suffer too if you're not paying attention and if you're sitting too far to the left. See that your pressure and behind the bar damping are remaining correct. Also, watch your intonation. Out of tune can also be shrill.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:13 pm    

The most ideal position for picking is above the end of the fret board. Moving in any direction kills the tones. You'll find most pros will tell you the same.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:18 pm    

Quote:
Jeff, do you move your picking hand position at all, or is it always in the same place?

Occasionally, but only to intentionally apply a different tonality. Never to compensate for a tone that I don't like. You need to be able to play the high frets in the same picking position as the low frets, and get a sweet sound. I have no suggestions unfortunately. Try experimenting with pick angles and attacks, hand location and orientation, and whatever else you can think of, until you find a set of parameters that give you an acceptable sound up and down the fretboard.

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:25 pm    

I don't have the skill to talk (and certainly not to argue) about 'proper' picking technique. We all know, though, that a string vibrates at various frequencies along its length. This is what accounts for the different tonal or timbre characteristics. WHERE you pick has a definite effect on the sound as some of the vibrating string segments are enhanced and others not. My impression was that many, especially non-pedal players, DO move the picking hand to either change the tone or to keep it consistent. FWIW --Everett

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 8:11 am    

I leave my right hand at the 13th fret for that proper tone no matter what !

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 21 August 2002 at 09:16 AM.]