The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Denver Steel Guitar Show July 29 Update and Schedule
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 3:38 pm    

The first Denver Steel Guitar Show will be held on July 29, 12-7 at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret. Bob Case and I have put together a diverse lineup of talent, featuring both pedal and non-pedal steel. Here are the scheduled performers:

Glenn Taylor has been working in many musically diverse bands over the last many years, from Slim Cessna's Auto Club to the Glenn Taylor Orchestra. Styles range from honky tonk country to electronic dance to free improvisation and more. more info at glenntaylormusic.com

Daniel Jones has been playing pedal steel since the early 70s in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the Denver area, like Chuck Lettes he has played with Lannie Garrett, and the Always Patsy Cline theater production. Daniel has always enjoyed exploring non-traditional styles for pedal steel, an interest he continues in the jazz direction with his quartet, Standard Deviations.

Margie Mays has worked with John Agar (the movie actor) when he was a country singer in Southern California with the "Freedom Train" and has shared the stage with the Gatlin Brothers. Margie continues to perform Hawaiian music and western swing in the style of her mentors, Speedy West and Noel Boggs.

Scotty (DeWitt Scott) is influenced by the Jerry Byrd, Don Helms and Little Roy Wiggins style of music. Scotty has written 8 instruction steel guitar books published by Mel Bay Publications, as well as many instruction books on his Midland label. He is member of the International Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame and has hosted the annual Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis for over forty years. For more about Scotty check out his website www.scottysmusic.com

Chris Kennison is a performer with Barleen's Arizona Opry in Apache Junction Arizona, as well as the Rocky Mountain Opry in Estes Park. Chris is also on the board of directors of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association. When he's not playing with the Barleen's you can find him sharing the sound of steel with his Hawaiian band, Book 'em Danno.

Chuck Lettes is a featured writer for the Pedal Steel Guitar Association, teacher and player with many touring artists from Doug Kershaw to Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, and locally with everyone from The Jim Hyatt Band to the longtime sideman in Lannie Garrett's Patsy DeCline Show. He is a recent inductee into the Nebraska Country Music Hall of Fame.

Susan Alcorn is a Baltimore, Maryland-based composer and musician who has received international recognition as an innovator of the pedal steel guitar. Her original music reveals the influence of free jazz, avant-garde classical music, Indian ragas, indigenous traditions, and other musics of the world. www.susanalcorn.net

Bob Case has been playing steel guitar in bands since the early 1970’s. He has worked with Billy Spears, Dusty Drapes and the Dusters, Lynn Morris, Junior Brown and Doug Kershaw among others. He is currently playing with Jockamo, a New Orleans style rhythm and blues band and at annual steel guitar shows.

Bret Billings has played professionally for over forty years. Introduced to the pedal steel by none other than Dick Meis, Bret and Bret Bertholf, aka Halden Wofford, are the charter members of the Hibeams. Bret plays a triple neck Fender Stringmaster.

Howard “Happ” Palmer's love for country music and dance floors filled with two-stepping couples keeps him playing honkytonks up and down the front range. He has worked with Bitter Creek, Silverado, Sandy Skees Band, Gretchen Peters, and currently plays pedal steel and electric dobro for The Wild Road Band.

George Sypert is a veteran of the country music scene and has managed his own band for 40 years. His love for the steel guitar has made him a popular performer with many bands in Southern Colorado.

Ron Elliott has had a long and varied musical career. He has perfomed on television and on the Grand Ole Opry, backing many Nashville greats, and he has also helped to design premier steel guitars and amplifiers. He was inducted into the International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2009.

JB Arnold is one of the new guys, only playing the pedal steel guitar for ten years. Performing with the Country Touch band, JB’s influences are all right from the early 70’s country rock scene: Buddy Cage, Jerry Garcia, and Sneaky Pete among others.

Denver is a great location for your summer vacation, plus there are many downtown hotels close to Lannie's.
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 18 Jul 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 5:08 pm    

This looks like a fantastic show. Congratulations Chuck and Bob.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 5:42 pm    

totally psyched

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 8:24 pm    

TTT

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 1:54 pm    

I'm excited to meet the great and legendary steel guitarists at the show on Denver, and to perform on July 29th. Looking forward to a fantastic and diverse show!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 11 Jun 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 3:27 pm    

So bummed I won't still be there for the show! I'm visiting my mom in S.Denver from June 24-July 3. If any of you guys are playing in that time frame, please let me know! 951-442-9621.

Have a great show!!!!

Marlin Gengenbach

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 6:08 pm     Denver Show

Chuck and Bob,
Excellent job of showcasing the players. Hope you advised Ron Elliott to bring an Oxygen supply...he will run out of breath playing at the mile high city.
Look forward to the show.
Marlin

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 6:19 pm    

Mr. Ron Elliott, a great player, and He and Miss Leslie are great friends. Wish we could be there. Larry Baker and Jean DeVore

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 12:01 pm    

Bump

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 6:20 am    

Will be there!

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 9:58 am    

Bump

Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 10:43 am    

Bump

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 2:33 pm    

Check it out: http://lannies.com/?p=16373

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 11:06 am    

Bump

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 10:00 am     Parking for July 29

Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret is located on 16th and Arapahoe. There is plenty of parking downtown on Sunday.
· Park Central Garage
Take Lawrence north past 15th Street, the entrance is on the right hand side. Park and take elevator to the lobby. Exit on the north side and you will see the Clock Tower across the 16th Street Mall. It is safe and covered parking. $6 weekdays after 5pm, $10 on Saturdays and Sundays.
· The Tabor Center parking garage is also another good option.
· There is also metered parking on Arapahoe Street if you are lucky enough to find an open meter. The meters are free on Sundays. Meters allow for 2 hours of parking.

Hope to see you at the show on July 29, in air-conditioned splendor at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret.
Chuck

Ron Frederiksen

Van Buren, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2012 7:55 pm    

Hey Chuck, looks like a great show, almost makes me wish I was back in Pueblo. I would probably have to come up. Hope all turns out great. Ron

BoFrazer

Melbourne, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2012 9:01 am    

Wow, I never get out, never go to Denver, never get to play Western Swing anymore, and never get to see a steel convention anymore. I will do all the above on that Sunday! Very Happy

I'll be playing fiddle with "Take the Hay Train" at http://www.evergreenjazz.org during the weekend, flying in from Orlando. Last set ends 1:15 Sunday, so I know where I'll be headed now. Any swing-type steelers please get in touch with me if you will be in the area Friday or Saturday and might like to sit in for a set (or part of one).

BoFrazer at GMail dot com

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2012 11:03 am    

Here's the schedule for the Denver Show. You can get tickets on-line or at the door.
http://lannies.com/?p=16373

Denver Steel Show Schedule
7/29/2012
12:00    Howard Palmer
12:30  Chris Kennison
1:00       Bob Case
1:30       Margie Mays
2:00      Scotty
2:30 Chuck Lettes
3:00      John Arnold
3:30      Glenn Taylor
4:00      George Sypert
4:30      Ron Elliott
5:00      Susan Alcorn
5:30      Dan Jones
6:00      Brett Billings

The show will be at in downtown Denver at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret (16th and Arapahoe). Since the show is on a Sunday, parking will be easy to find. Here are some options:
Park Central Garage. Take Lawrence north past 15th Street, the entrance is on the right hand side. Park and take elevator to the lobby. Exit on the north side and you will see the Clock Tower across the 16th Street Mall. It is safe and covered parking. $6 weekdays after 5pm, $10 on Saturdays and Sundays.
· The Tabor Center parking garage is also another good option.
· There is also metered parking on Arapahoe Street if you are lucky enough to find an open meter. The meters are free on Sundays.
Chuck

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:42 am    

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Rose Sinclair

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2012 8:04 am    

Hey Chuck and Bob-
Wish I could be there. Have a great show. Next year....!!

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 9:05 am    

Thanks for the bump, Rose. Hope to see you at a show down the road.
Chuck

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 10:30 pm    

Wish I could be there...on a huge deadline finishing a record with an out of town producer...y'all have a great time!

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 10:31 pm    

Wish I could be there...on a huge deadline finishing a record with an out of town producer...y'all have a great time!