The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roy Ayres has gone Home
Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 10:06 am    

Miss Laurie, please know how sorry I am to hear of your loss. Though we have never met, I have been priviledged to read a number of your posts over the years as others have experienced loss and hardships. I have discerned from them that both you and your dear husband were staunch supporters of the forum and the steel guitar community, as well as beautiful people who were always reaching out to others in times of sorrow and heartache. My prayer is that God will now give Mr. Roy the peace, comfort, and joy that he deserves; and that he will grant to you the consolation of knowing that although separated now for a time, there will be a great reunion one day in a place where sorrow will be no more. May Jesus hold your hand each day and strengthen you not only through this time, but in days to come. God bless you Miss Laurie. Your friend in Kentucky, Roger Sad Smile

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 11:31 am    

A true pioneer of the Steel Guitar. . .I'll always treasure the friendship Roy & I had, and he'll be deeply missed by all of us. DeeDee & I want to send out our deepest heartfelt symphathys to Laurie and the family. This photo was taken several years ago at the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis. Now go R.I.P. my friend and join in on that big Steel Guitar Jam in the sky.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 12:07 pm    

Mrs. Ayers,

My sympathy to you and your family. I would have liked to have met Mr. Roy but never had the chance. I appreciated his contributions in music and here on the forum. I especially enjoyed the couple of exchanges I had with him through the forum.

Rest in peace sir.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 12:15 pm    

Laurie
My sympathy and condolences to you and the family on the loss of our dear Roy. I so fondly remember our times spent together at ISGC. Be strong, as I know you will be.
Love, Herb

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 12:22 pm    

i'm saddened to read this Laurie but glad to know that Roy is w: the Lord
my sympathy & condolences to you & your family
Rest In Peace Roy - Thanx you for bein' real

David Hartley

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 1:02 pm     Laurie

Sorry to hear this news..

Please accept my condolences Laurie,

David Hartley..

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 1:44 pm    

My condolences, Laurie. I'm proud that he was my friend - I enjoyed every minute I spent with him and wish it could have been more.

Skip

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 4:48 pm    

Another one of the giants of our instrument has gone. To Laurie, all Roy's family and his many, many friends I send my sincerest condolences.

RIP Roy Ayres, you leave us a great legacy.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 5:44 pm     condolences

Mrs Laurie ,
My condolences to you and your family in Roy's passing. May the Lord Jesus Christ comfort and strengthen you through the days ahead.

Skip Cole
Southaven, MS

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 5:48 pm    

Laurie,

My deepest condolences. Roy was a true gentleman and an inspiration to me and many others in the world of steel guitar. May you find comfort in the days ahead.

Jim

Larry Rafferty

Ballston Spa, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 6:22 pm    

So sorry to hear this sad news of Roy's passing. My condolences to the family. I enjoyed talking to Roy on the phone on a few occassions. He was so kind and would go out of his way to help out a fellow steeler.
He will be remembered for many, many, years for all the help and inspiration he provided.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 7:56 pm    

Laurie,
Words cannot express how I feel. I've lost an idol. My condolences, thoughts and prayers are out to you.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 8:00 pm    

MRS.LAURIE my deepest sympathy.s to you and your family I feel a great loss to the State of Miss. where Mr. ROY was born here in Columbus he and I shared many moments together talking about all the guy's he and i both knew etc. all these i will cherish the rest of my life.. May "GOD BLESS" and comfort you during this time ...........

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 1:56 am    

Laurie,
You have our deepest sympathy and love at this difficult time. May God bless you with the peace only His loving arms can provide. You are in our hearts.
Donna and Tommy
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 4:03 am    

My deepest condolences to Laurie and family. It's a loss to all of us, even those of us who didn't know Roy personally.

Mike Gross

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 6:15 am    

Laurie,

Please accept both Susan and my deepest sympathy at this time. Needless to say, we are thinking about Roy.

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 7:44 am    

Laurie, just read the Post today. So sorry about your loss. Brings close to home our vulnerability. I know he lived a long life doing what was so dear to his heart: Steel Guitar.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 8:13 am     Very Sad News

Laurie

Its so nice to know you and to have know Roy. What a great guy. He is in a better place. I know he would want you to be strong.

Wayne

Raymond Thiebault

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 11:40 am    

We are so very sorry to hear of this sad news. Roy will be missed by all who knew him. He was such a pleasant person to be around--so full of joy and always smiling. His music was and will always be so very soothing and a pleasure to listen to.

Our deepest sympathy to Laurie and the family. May God give them the strength they need at this time and in the future.

Blessings,
Ray & Claire

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 1:10 pm    

laurie, please accept our prayers for you & roy & the family. such a loss to the steel family & all who loved him. bruce & lynn

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 3:28 pm    

I feel honoured that I got to meet & briefly chat with both Mr. & Mrs. Ayres three years ago at the ISGC in St. Louis. I'm sorry to hear of Roy's passing and wish Laurie all the best in the future without her great support. Here's one of the photos I took in St. Louis. Sincerely, Jim Harrison.

Chris Sims

Middleburg,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 9:32 pm    

My prayers and condolences also.
When I started out, I attended the club meeting at Lake Panasoffkee for about a year back in 2007 up to 2008. I drove over 120 miles one way to hear Roy and the guys play. Then when our North Florida club started, I stopped going.
Now I wish one more time I could go and hear Roy again.
I remember I was looking to buy a steel amp, and Roy had that Nashville 1000 for sale at the meeting.
I talked with him, he asked me about my playing, I told him I just started and I only knew 1 song and it was "Does Ft. Worth ever cross your mind"
He said he loved that song and I should come the next month ready to play it and they would help me along.
I believed he said it was a favorite of his.
Too bad I had the stage fright and didn't play Sad

Roy will be sorely missed.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2012 12:59 pm    

Yet another great gone, sad

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2012 3:05 pm    

My heartfelt condolences to the Ayers family. I am saddened to hear this news.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2012 7:12 pm    

I just opened this. RIP Roy and deepest sympathy to you Laurie. You and Roy were the picture of what marriage should be. You both always made me feel special. I've never met anyone with a bigger heart.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.