The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Managing The Two Stresses
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 5:53 am    

Earnest,

There is no need to allow your Toyota to take you over by the rounding off of non-hardened bolts, or cap screws. There are many methods of dealing with under-sized boltheads. I'll suggest two that would work well. Using a light hammer, tap an undersized socket (8 point) that will actually slice new grooves around the bolthead. When the socket is resting at the base of the bolthead, proceed to extract, by turning ratchet handle couterclockwise. Another approach would be to hacksaw 1/4 " deep grooves at top of bolthead. Exert a meaningful amount of pressure, with the aid of a large screwdriver. For added leverage, use an adjustable wrench to turn screwdriver.
DO NOT attempt any of these procedures, unless you have knowledge of the dangers that lurk beneath the hood of your vehicle. Be sure to toss removed cap screws in the trash, and replace them with hardened bolts, (standard size) that are stainless for easy removal. Never apply excessive pounds pressure when installing. Retighten after a week or 10 days, as all gasket materials compress after installation. If coolant is lowered due to opening system, follow instructions, and be sure to double check levels (safely) after the thermostat opens, and closes.

All of this to point out that I have been there, and done that, as the saying goes. As a matter of fact, early mechanical experiences have contributed largely to my enjoyment derived through experimentation with the "Lucky 7".

Bill Hankey

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 30 July 2002 at 02:27 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 6:28 am    

Paul,
I know you must be a funnin' us.
Jeff would never tune his 3rd string to 440.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 6:50 am    

Larry: Yes, I was in a humorous mood but my JN chart shows the pedal adjustment to raise the 3rd string to an A at 440.0. Did I get the wrong information here somehow ??

BTW, I got an e-mail that may have been based on the assumption that I was lampooned Bill. Nothing could be farther from the truth !! I enjoy his posts and I like the way he presents his discussions. They are surely thoughtful and thought provoking. I find his sense of humor to be a work of art and I never can tell how to take him. That makes me read very carefully so I don't miss any of the English type sense of humor I also enjoy from Tony Davis and Anne Marie.

I consider all of them, and you, as valued friends ! I don't need any enemies ! I have enough of them right here in my own household, thank you !!

Regards, Paul

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 9:01 am    

Paul,
I was referring to the G# rather than the A.

My tongue was pokin' so far through my cheek I couldn't see that you meant the A.

You are correct. Jeff compensates by raising the tonic E so that the G#, as the third of the E triad, is almost beatless. That allows the A to come out at about 440. The numbers are not nearly as important as whether it sounds in tune to you.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 1:43 pm    

Paul G.,

You are Washington Irving, John Muir, and Louis L'Amour all rolled into one. Thank you for your interest, and input. It is appreciated.

Bill Hankey

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 1:48 pm    

"I still have nightmares about your picture from Severed Head In A Bag."

Didn't Michael Caine return from Kafiristan with one of those in "The Man Who Would Be King"?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 4:14 pm    

He did !! He surely did !! I haven't seen that movie in many years but I do recall it and that horrible bag ! Wonder what Sean Connery thought about them using his head like that ?? It's enough to make you blow your top !!

Regards, Paul

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 6:39 pm    

"He fumbled in the mass of rags round his bent waste; brought out a black horsehair bag embroidered with silver thread; and shook therefrom on to my table-the dried, withered head of Daniel Dravot!"

It's amazing that they made such a long movie out of a 25-page Kipling short story.

Is this off-topic, or what?

Now, to get off-off-topic - that story makes much more sense if you happen to be a Freemason.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 1:54 am    

The stress, and whittling down of one's patience, caused by the common standardized notion, which ascribes a lesser degree of importance to the upper octave G# string breakage, has become more rampant amongst steel guitarists.
Where are the conjectures on 3rd string breakages, made by those who have been regarded as the most knowledgeable in any gathering of steel guitarists?

Bill Hankey

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 31 July 2002 at 04:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 31 July 2002 at 05:42 AM.]

Peter

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 3:17 am    

Was that English?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 3:52 am    

Peter,

I believe so Peter.

Bill Hankey

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 31 July 2002 at 08:37 AM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 6:38 am    

Bobby Lee,

I believe this thread has run the gamut for all practical purposes. The third string, (G#) of the E9th tuning will not be mentioned by yours truly in future threads. Please close this topic at your convenience.

Bill H.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2002 4:53 pm    

Well, I think that we all learned something from Bill's threads:

" You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't Con Edison."

[This message was edited by HowardR on 01 August 2002 at 04:19 AM.]