The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pleasant surprises after modification.
Peter

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 10:41 am    

I decided that my Universal guitar was too high and cut the legs and rods 1 inch shorter.
It is a non-descript guitar, which is well-built and has a Danny Shields pup on it.
The improvements were as expected...I can now use the levers with the sides of my knees, instead of the tops of my thighs. The neck is much lower and more comfortable to play.
The angle of my feet has improved. I seem to play it in a more positive and assertive way.

Now, here are 2 unexpected surprises...
Previously, while picking string 2 I often missed because I could not see this string, because it was always exactly in line with the edge of the fretboard.
After the mod, the edge of the fretboard is now visible between strings 1 and 2. So I can see both strings, no matter how I move my seat or position. Great!
Another surprise is that the sound has improved a lot. The guitar always had a bit of a "growl", but it seems to have a lot more now. Also the tone is more colorful (sweeter) and richer; more PSG, if you like. Of course this could be a subjective opinion, caused by the feeling of a "new" guitar. And I don't have a recording of this guitar, so I cannot compare. Did anyone else experience a change in tone after "surgery"?

I am not really a "tone-freak" but I could not believe the difference.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 8:33 pm    

Peter-I am not surprised, I feel more comfortable that way too.
For me, I noticed the Excel is thicker , which makes it higher, due to 5 raises and 4 lowers.
The Williams body also seemed thicker to me. But then again, it might be just right for some players. To each his own....al

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 3:27 am    

My Excel is a bit higher than I wish it was?
I've been too "chicken" to cut it down! 2 legs and they have to be done from the top, I expect, because of the neat pedal bar clamping method. It's threaded at the bottom
in other words & you tighten these to hold the pedal bar. Then you have to cut & re-thread the 3 pedal rods. Not a biggie for some of you guys, but for me it's too much to tackle. I suppose a machinist could do it easily. I just try to sit higher to make up the differenc. I do agree that your playing position can make a world of difference! On lap steel your elbows are higher than the strings and I seem to like being higher to the strings on my pedal steel, too. Of course the seat manufacturers think we're clones and give us no options for seat height! g-r-r! Adjustable legs would be nice. Must be it's not practical??

[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 27 July 2002 at 04:29 AM.]

Peter

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 4:06 am    

Doug, I really recommend you find someone to do it for you.
I researched the forum until I had clearly in mind how to tackle the project. (Front legs: 1 inch off from the top and put the threaded plugs back in the legs; Rear legs: 1inch off from the inside legs; 8 pedal rods: extend the threads on the ends, then cut 1 inch off the threaded ends and keep the off-cuts to make rod extenders for re-sell purpose)

A friend of mine is the head of the Mechanical Engineering department at the University of Cape Town. They had it done in a jiffy. Maybe make some phonecalls in your area and see if there is a similar facility. Also, any machine shop can do this. Good luck!

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 6:12 am    

quote:
I decided that my Universal guitar was too high and cut the legs and rods 1 inch shorter...After the mod, the edge of the fretboard is now visible between strings 1 and 2. So I can see both strings, no matter how I move my seat or position. Great!
Another surprise is that the sound has improved a lot. The guitar always had a bit of a "growl", but it seems to have a lot more now. Also the tone is more colorful (sweeter) and richer; more PSG, if you like.

So Pete, you recommend us now to pick up a saw, and cut the legs? (Cheaper then new gear )

Peter

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 6:26 am    

Hoi Johan, als ik Holland weer eens bezoek, zal ik kontakt opnemen met je; is dat OK?
Dan leg ik het wel even uit.

I could not find any Forum rules regarding language.

------------------

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 6:40 am    

Hi Guys...
Let me chime in here. I am only 5'7", so
when I ordered my Zum a couple of years ago,
I had Bruce to build it 1" shorter than standard. He charged a little extra ($100) if I remember correctly, but I like sitting high enough to see what is going on. Comfort is the name of the game here, and it is what you are used to. So if you are buying a new guitar, you might consider having the builder to make it a little shorter from the start.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

[This message was edited by Billy Easton on 27 July 2002 at 07:42 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 8:18 am    

Here's one for you tall guys. At 6'2", I've always played guitars 1" to 1 1/2" taller. When I played the Mass Bash a couple years ago, Jerry Fessenden let me play one of his guitars, but it was standard height. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get under it. Jerry said not to worry and handed me his personal seat that he had cut an inch from the legs. Perfect!

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2002 10:38 pm    

Doug S. Bill Dearmore builds a great seat with height adjustable legs.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 4:31 pm    

When I ordered my new steel from Carter, Ann asked me how tall I was to make sure I had the proper size legs on my steel. Because I am only 5'7", she suggested I have one inch taken off each of the legs--works fine (cost me $25). Doug--maybe that is why I play this steel better than the last one I had--you know, you have heard me ! Proper height of the guitar is important to me. Joe

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 4:44 pm    

Right- Height is important to me too. The lower the fretboard or the higher the seat, the better I like it....al