The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want 65 D10 PP
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 3:23 pm    

CHAS SMITH-How do I think you feel?-like an accomplished musician, respected inventor, revered medicine man, and all around knowledgeable and interesting guy that you are I know of your accomplishments and experiences and you have a great collection of instruments some of which are personality owned vintage Bigsbys that you had the foresight to buy from good ol' Mr.B.S. at right smart prices before I jumped on the bandwagon you shouldn't feel bad about that

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 4:13 pm    

Steve, my other PP's have just a 4 digit serial number. This bolt (on which incidently has the milled out place for the changer mounts to bolt onto) has stamped on the endplate SY NO 2637. This is definitely an old bolt on guitar. It only had one knee lever and the thick bellcranks,
solid black pickups, the old style chrome fretboards with the turquoise instead of blue markers. I just went back and read Nick Reed's post that he had a '66 D10 serial number 2615. It seems that some of the numbers started in the teens and others in the twenties.

Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 23 July 2002 at 06:57 PM.]

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 6:22 pm    

Jerry.....
You're right, My 66' D-10 bolt-on is #2615 (without the D) and for those interested, my little 66 S-10 bolt-on is #1068 S. You guys can see them by clicking on at http://personal.bellsouth.net/bna/a/m/am1070/page10.html

Nick

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 23 July 2002 at 07:23 PM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 2:11 pm    

Paul, thank you for the generous words. I was on a roll.

Quote:
So, theoretically, there should be MORE players seeking 64-65 Emmons guitars than seeking Bigsby guitars. And since there are fewer Emmons guitars than there are Bigsbys, the price for the Emmons should be HIGHER than what is being paid for Bigsbys, since there is potentially higher demand, right?
Good argument, I think some of the reasons the Bigsbys are higher, is the mystique of Bigsby himself and the time frame, 1940's, 50's and that Sho-Bud and Emmons are descendants of that linneage; that Emmons guitars are still made today, even if they aren't the same and that there are a number of guitars that sound similar to Emmons, there aren't any, that I know of, that sound like a Bigsby.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2002 2:18 pm    

Chas-you forgot the "P.A. Re-issue"

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2002 11:06 pm    

Paul--since they are essentially NOS, I think of them as Bigsbys, just not made by P.A.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2002 1:53 pm    

"Just not made by P.A." That is an interesting and necessary caviat-we also must express that there is no affiliation to the current owner (Gretsch) of the "BIGSBY" name-logo-registered trademark-Thank you Chas