The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen Steels
Brad Burch

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 10:17 am    

I was looking at this guitar on Ebay and wondering if anybody had experience with Marlen all pull guitars. I know the early push/pull models always get spoken highly of. This sure is a beautiful looking axe if nothing else. It didn't make the reserve the first go round.

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 12:21 pm    

ask Ricky Davis, he knows quite a bit about Marlens

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 2:53 pm    

our ole friend jerry flemming plays a marlen and gets one of the best tones I have heard in the buisness. pretty guitar also..
BOO

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 6:13 pm    

Yesssssss.....what do ya wanna know??
Hey I love this Guitar....Push/Pull or All Pull.....I've had them both.......
They set up real easy(meaning mechanics;adjustments..etc.) and one thing is; they have held a consistant sound from the start to the lastest ones. Mr. Stadler designed and built one Sweet guitar and deserves alllll the recognition in the world. The Marlen Pedal steel sounds and plays great......I always compared it to a perfect Mix in tone, between a Sho~bud and a Emmons.
Heck I have a tape somewhere around here of me playing the Speedy West Marlen.......and one of my Students Marlen....and my gosh if they don't sound the same and one of the best tones I've ever had.....
Lemme know if I can help more...it would be MY PLEASURE.
Ricky

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 9:41 am    

I bought an old marlen s12, all wood, the single coil pickup I took apart, I think it was to narrow on the string spacing as I recall, but what was interesting the magnet poles were flip/flopped every other string, pos/neg/pos/neg etc, I believe Marshal Tuckers fire on the mountain was done on a marlen

Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 2:10 pm    

Hey Boo
Lets not forget another big one on the MARLEN steelguitar. Remember the Great Sound that Arnett Mills has along with Mike Calaway. Anyone interested in looking at the MARLEN web site and look at some of the fine looking steels Mr Stadler still makes, you can look at them from this address. http://www.reidsville.net/stadlermusic
Ken

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 1:51 pm    

Well, this is as good a time as any to ask a question that I've waited awhile to ask:

In a music store near me, there is a very old Marlen D-10. The Marlen logo is in small block letters. There is only one knee lever, and it is a thin metal rod. I believe that at least some of the mechanism is a kind of push-pull. The E-9th neck has some of the same changes as the usual set-up of today, but I think at least one of these changes is handled by a pedal. (There are definitely more than three pedals assigned to the E-9th neck.) I think the guitar is maybe a light brownish or tan wood.

I've never played this guitar through an amp, and have never messed with the C-6th neck at all. I kind of figured it was too old and obsolete to be worth much. Am I wrong? It would certainly need some setting up, and possible repair. Is this the kind of instrument that would be worth something regardless? I see that Ricky and others might think a lot of old Marlens.

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 10 July 2002 at 02:56 PM.]

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 2:13 pm    

Cool.... I just visited the website. D10 is $2995. It is only $130 extra for a Maple/lacquer guitar!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 9:13 pm    

Hey Jeff; most likely one of the very first Marlen's out there....and it would need a good bit of attention I'm sure of it.
I would like to correct my post about calling the "Single Finger pull-release" system.....a "Push Pull"....which it's not.
This single finger is in a neutral postition away from the end of the guitar.....and the rods have stops on them in front and behind....so you are acutally pulling the single finger or letting off the tension of the finger....it is a very good system....but not a Push Pull.
So Jeff....can you snap a shot of it?? Then I can tell you more....preferably a shot of the front and back...and end plate and the changer fingers upside down.
Ricky

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:23 am    

Hey Brad,
A few months back I attended the Mid Atlantic Steel Association get together in North Carolina. They had some Marlens on display and also a few of the players were using them. One player who impressed me was named Joe Turner. He played a single 12 Marlen and got the greatest tone you ever heard. It was equal or better than any Emmons or ShoBud there. As a matter of fact, his brother was set up next to Joe and was playing a D-10 ShoBud and didn't get as good a tone as the S-12 Marlen. I wouldn't hesitate to have one of them if I was in the market for a new guitar.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 11:16 am    

Brad, I have been playing my "Blue Marlen" since 1975. It is the one that is still pictured on their website. I used it for several years when I was touring with Dave and Sugar. Also, my wife snapped a photo of me introing "Nightlife" on it with Ray Price during my tenure back in 1982. I will try to post that photo in the future. I am also using that guitar on my forthcoming C.D. My how I love that guitar!

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 3:32 pm    

Ricky-

Thanks for the reply. I am primarily interested because the guy who owns the store is a friend of mine. I'll print off this thread and see if he wants to find out more. He had my MSA in there for monthes, before I bought it as a first steel. Now he's had this old Marlen for several monthes, but doesn't know anything about it. Fort Wayne Indiana isn't a big steel town, I guess.

Jeff

Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 8:19 am    

My first factory made steel was a Marlen. It was the finest pedal guitar ever. My opinion. It was a S12 the ole one where you couldn,t raise and lower a string, either raise or lower. But heck i didn,t know about that stuff. I still got it, it,s in the garage waitin for me to put it back together. If i was young again i would buy another from Mr Stadler,oh what the heck i may still buy another one! Ole Dave Frye

thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 10:58 am    

Bought a new D-10 Marlen in 1975 while living in Okinawa, and have regretted ever
letting it get away from me. Natural bird's
eye Maple. Beautiful guitar with a fabulous
sound and had the best pedal feel i've ever
experienced. When i sold it, it still looked
brand new because i had taken extra care of it. Sold it through Ken's Music in Lititz,
Pa., and wish i knew who bought it. If you
have one of these fine instruments hang on to it. My '72 P/P and new Carter are both
fine, but wish i had kept my Marlen. TJH

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 12:06 pm    

This axe was on Ebay twice and didn't meet the reserve. I have worked out a deal with guy so we will see. After conversing with the guys at Stadler music and Ricky Davis I think I'm in for a treat. I currently play a red lacquer Shobud LDG with 4 pedals and 5 knees. These guitars are very similiar to Shobuds in construction on many points. This thing sure is gorgeous. Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=892499564

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 12:08 pm    

Oh yeah, this is a triple raise/double lower all pull guitar. Was built about 1990 or so. Original owner and supposed to be mint!

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 2:00 pm    

Hey Guys!

Thanks for opening the door for me to brag a just a little on my new Marlen D10! I have owned several fine guitars over the years. I must say, I have never been more pleased than I am with my new Marlen. I picked it up on 4/13/02. It playes great, sounds great, stays in tune! and is a beauty if I do say so myself I personaly like wood necks with George L's 10-1 pickups. This seems to give it a little more warmth in my opinion.

Give Len a call you will not regret it! Fine people and fine guitars.

How do I post a picture? :O

All The Best,

Jerry

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 2:20 pm    

Yep...you guys are right, I have known Leonard since my early Fender days back in 55. He makes a great guitar,in fact Im thinking of buying a Marlen.But there are so many guitars to chose from,,its a difficult decision,,,but Leonards guitars are real fine.

Nice of all of you to give credit where credit is due,,,you couldnt find a nicer guy
than Leonard.And a GREAT guitar as well.wow
what a beautiful finish,,but then again,,those who know Leonard are not suprised,,,he does Great work.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 16 July 2002 at 09:17 PM.]