The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transporting Heavy Gear
DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 1:36 pm    

As a Chiropractor and a steel player I can tell you that I fully endorse using a hand cart or truck to move your things around. I use a sturdy luggage cart but I have to make a few trips with it. Also save your back by taking your steel out of the case while it is on top of a table (if your lucky enough to have one near by). If not bend at the knees, keep your back straight and use the legs to lift. Do it slowly and controlled. The two movemets that will cause the most harm to your low back when combined are forward flexion and rotation. Add weight to the equation and your looking for trouble. Minimize these motions and you minimize the risk of hurtin' yourself.
Keep steelin' and use a cart!

------------------
Darren James
Carter D-10 8P 5K
Nashville 400, ProfexII

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:09 am    

Bill, it's cheaper than, with all due respect, Dr. Sillito. It folds down so I can put the amp and seat on the guitar case and roll it all in easily, and I've modified it so that the 'blade' folds and the wheels come off with ball pins, so it fits easily in the trunk. I've been using it regularly for the past dozen years or so, so amortized over that amount of time, it wasn't all that expensive.

I also put locking casters on it after an experience in San Fransisco. Fully loaded, it took off rolling down the hill and you never saw a fat man in cowboy boots run as fast as I did to catch it. I could have qualified for the olympics.