The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Issue
Josh Sharpe

Waycross, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 4:35 pm    

So, I have had this issue pop up with this amp over the past 6 months. I thought it had just gone away (or maybe was only a cold weather issue) when it didn't act up for about 3 months, but I got on stage at a little music festival in North Carolina a few days ago and there it goes again. I've got it home and it's still doing it.

I actually took it to a fellow about a month ago and he had it for days but couldn't get it to mess up. He (and anyone else) is 30 miles from me, so I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what's going on before I take it up to him, in case it doesn't bark when I get it there. I figure if I can give him an idea, it'll keep me from having to make trips up there without results.

The issue is demonstrated on the video below. You'll notice changes in the tone of the hum. That's what happens when I remove the cable from the input jacks.

http://youtu.be/hFCwRvuS3cU
Floorboard Songs http://www.reverbnation.com/floorboardsongs

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 5:28 pm     NV112 issue...

1. Is it under warranty?
2. Does it do the same thing with the Reverb turned all the way off?
3. Does it do it with a cable plugged from the Pre EQ Out to the Pre EQ In?
4. Does it do it with a cable plugged from the Post EQ Out to the Post EQ In?
5. Have you reseated your Power Cable?
6. Has it gotten wet or been dropped?
7. Does it sound the same from the Head Phone out?
8. Is this the only Amp you have?
9. Have you installed the new chips in it, or opened it up?

One of the problems I have encountered with this amp is the "self cleaning type jacks", when not used at all, get a little dirty or oxidize. I regularly plug a cord end into all of the jacks to exercise them and allow them to self clean.

I would start with this...

Josh Sharpe

Waycross, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 6:10 pm    

Thanks for the reply, Dick.

1. I'm not familiar with the warranty on it, but it's at least 5-years-old, so I doubt it. Even if it was, I'd imagine Peavey would want me to pay shipping there and back. That would likely rival the price of having a local shop do it and be much slower.

2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No.
5. Yes.
6. It hasn't been wet in a very, very long time and has never been dropped.
7. Interesting question. I tried it and the phones signal is clean as ever.
8. Yes, it is the only amp I own. The singer in the main band I play with has one I can use at our gigs, but it's frustrating not being able to play at home, though you may have solved that with the headphones idea!
9. I installed the Ken Fox Mod probably a year ago.

I have tried this cleaning method numerous times. That doesn't seem to be the issue, unless they are just that dirty!

Thanks again.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 6:22 pm     Again...

Josh, I did have one of my NV112s(I have three), that the contacts on one of jacks had to be re-tensioned. If it came down to that, your tech could probably do that for you.

You answered NO to 3 & 4... Is that, "No it doesn't do it", when you have a cable plugged in there as I described.

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 8:36 pm     Possible source of the problem.

Good questions from Dick Sexton.

That your headphone out works OK means the pre-amp is OK. Therefore the problem has been isolated to the power amp section which has its own separate power supply. The buzz sounds close to 120 Hz which is the frequency out of the power supply's bridge rectifier. So, I think you have an open filter capacitor, one of the two large 3300 uF 80V ones. These are snap in types that are soldered. It could be that the solder joint is cold and failed. Actually, I think that is more likely than the cap failing.

You can just try re-floating the solder joints on those two caps if you have no way of testing the cap. I found it to be a bit of a pain to get to the underside of that board the first time, but after the first time it is not so bad.

Good luck,
Joe

Last edited by Joseph Meditz on 6 May 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 6 May 2012 9:09 pm     One More Thing

In your video did you notice that at time 10 sec that the buzz went away for a fraction of a second? I think the reason is that the plugging/unplugging made it make contact. You can try giving the amp a slap (not too hard Smile) and see what happens.

Josh Sharpe

Waycross, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 6:47 am    

Dick,

I meant nothing was in those jacks at the moment, but I have tried pluging in cables (cleaning) and the hum persisted.

I'll mention the jack to my guy and see if that get's him anywhere. Thanks!

Jospeh,

O trust me. I've tried hitting it!

And, those other things you said about soldering, I didn't understand at all. I am a layman's layman when it comes to this kind of stuff. Given that, do you think it's something I could fix with the proper literature and guidance?

Thanks.

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 7:27 am    

Well, if you have absolutely no experience in this, then it is best to have a tech work on it. Taking it apart to get at it is the hard part. The soldering is easy.

Peavey is the best place to send it for servicing. It's a benefit of owning a Peavey. However, you would want to remove the chassis and send it out rather than the entire cabinet to keep the shipping charges low.

Or, you could bring back to that fellow and show him the problem and ask him to check those caps and make sure they are soldered in. Even if it doesn't happen before him you have the video that tells the story.

The good news is that your pre-amp and power amp are both OK IMO. Most of the tech's time will be spent taking the amp apart. The soldering will take a minute.

Good luck,
Joe

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 12:56 pm     112 issue...

Josh, I'm still not sure you have done this and told us the results...

1. Plug a cable from the Pre EQ Out to the Pre EQ In? Does it do it.

2. Plug a cable from the Post EQ Out to the Post EQ In? Does it do it.

If you have done this and the problem persisted, we can move on.

Joe is correct... Peavey, in the long run will be best next choice, given your not electronics savy. All you would need to send them, is the chassis, no reverb or even power cord. My experience with them is, the turn around time is usually quicker then you would think. Cost minimal! Make sure you contact Mike Brown by email before you send it. And include any email from him in with the chassis.