The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shobud Question
Brad Burch

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 6:31 am    

Are all Super Pro Shobuds made with the "pot metal" changer fingers and bellcranks? I didn't know if there was a brief period
after the rack/barrel system for the Super Pro. Isn't there a period(late 70's) for the other Shobud models that had the double raise/single lower changer(alunimum) and brass disk pullers? Someone enlighten me on this period please.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 10:14 am    

Hi Brad, as far as I know, the system you mentioned (double raise/single lower and brass disc pullers) replaced the rack-and-barrell system but rather in the early ´70s, about ´73. About ´75 they were changed to double raise/double lower. By then there were two models, the Pro II with wood necks and Pro III with alumimium necks. When the Super Pro was introduced in ´77, they gradually began using its parts, like triple raise/double lower changers, hex cross shafts, different bellcranks straight knee levers and narrow pedals and that awful pot metal stuff, also on the other two. I´ve seen pictures of guitars with "mixed up" parts. If I had a Super Pro, I´d throw out all that pot metal right away and replace it with aluminium; I think Bobbe Seymour carries those parts.

Regards, Joe H.

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 1:10 pm    

The biggest difference to keep in mind is that the pot metal parts were all modular, a few parts could be put together in multiple ways to make up all the stuff needed. A great idea, but as it has been pointed out, with cheap (but light) and sometimes breakeable pot metal parts. The previous parts era were welded parts, so more (and different) parts were needed to make up a whole setup. These were with the 2 hole rod pullers and aluminum, but sometimes brass, discs to affix the rods to the puller fingers. Both of these eras of Sho Bud parts used nylon tuners at the end plate.

I have a Pro III with the welded parts and aluminum discs but with the narrow, non-knurled footpedals. Obviously, some mixed era parts are seen on 'transition' guitars and with guitars that have been retrofit with more pedals/knee levers, also.

I've never seen a Super Pro with the welded parts/aluminum or brass discs but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I wonder if anyone knows anything about the very first Super Pro: when it was built, who got it, where it is now, ect. Once Sho-Bud went to the new modular pot metal parts (for the Super Pro model), it is highly unlikely that they would go back to the older parts, but with a small manufacturer, anything is possible.

When guitars change hands, many times you read, "Nylon tuners, narrow footpedals, straight knee levers" but how much does that really tell you about what's underneath the hood?

Bob M.

[This message was edited by Bob Metzger on 27 June 2002 at 02:02 AM.]

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 1:16 pm    

I had thought about just replacing the changer fingers but that would cost about 300 or so bucks. I believe it would end up being about $500+ to replace everything that is pot metal. I would then have close to $2000 in an LDG which would never resale for that. I would rather just buy a newer/different brand of steel. It is a beautiful guitar though,... very curly red laquer maple, 4 pedals, 5 knees, purty diamond wood inlay. To be honest, the guitar sounds really good the way it is and serves my needs fine(I'm by no means a pro and need to pay more attention to playing). I broke one knee lever mount, but I have a couple of extras and they cost about $20.

I have heard those 73 through 75 Shobuds with the brass disk pullers and double/double changers are the best!

Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 4:54 pm    

Brad, I just finished changing out my changers to aluminum on my Super Pro. I grinded the old ones off (bought 20 aluminum changers from Bobbee seymour) and replaced them. You need to buy 20, or 10 if your doing an LDG, rivits from Ace Hardware (common). The rivits you grind off have a shoulder on them. The ones you buy from ACE do not. Not a problem, the new aluminum changers do not require a shoulder rivet. Do not overtighten the rivet with your common punch you can get from anywhere (or your changers won't work properly). This job was really easy, a few nights work and my Guitar plays great. If I can do it anybody can, and I don't remember paying that much for 20 changers. Call up Bobbe and make a deal, that's his business and he's a Super guy in my opinion.

Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 5:01 pm    

One more thing, I had to change out my changers because they were worn really bad. Especially the A and B pedal changers. I wouldn't recommend replacing them unless they were worn out. I have two Sho-Bud Super Pros and I gig with both. One has Aluminum, the other Pot Metal and I really don't think there is that much difference in sound. I'm sure people will argue with me on this but, I wouldn't go changing them unless it was necessary.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 5:57 pm    

Bob M. In 77 I was Sho-Bud Product Mgr,with Gretsch, that year we introduced the Super-Pro at the NAMM show in Chicago, As far as I know, it was the 1st one, black /wood necks,ser# 13124 After the show, I took it with me, as a demo to show dealers that I called on, I was doing a lot of playing in those days, & I played it for the next 16yrs, I recently sold it to a local friend, It was the best sounding guitar I ever heard! Regards! au

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2002 1:11 am    

Thanks, Al for responding. It's fun to learn more about the Sho-Bud story from someone whose been there. Super Pro numero uno; How cool! I'm sure it was an excellent guitar.

Bob M.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2002 5:54 pm    

Boy, I agree with Al and all, Kurt, I see you got everything put together .
Now here is a shocker, I have two Super-Pro guitars that I am using now for everything. Both have the new aluminum fingers, the "Z" levers and aluminum necks with the clearence mods and I can't even tell you how great these wonderful little guitars are. Must be the most underated used guitars in the world!
One is black and the other is the old Billy Jenkins guitar (sunburst) Man, I'm in love.I even like the pot metal parts,except in the fingers, Ya' gotta' have the aluminum finger mod. Helps the tone too! The funny thing is , when I checked to see who assembled this guitar at the factory(the black one), I found that Jerry Fessenden had built it. No wonder! Sho-Bud, Yes sir! Forever!
Bobbe "Shot" Seymour

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 28 June 2002 at 06:56 PM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2002 6:09 pm    

Quote:
As far as I know, it was the 1st one, black /wood necks,ser# 13124 After the show, I took it with me, as a demo to show dealers that I called on, I was doing a lot of playing in those days, & I played it for the next 16yrs, I recently sold it to a local friend, It was the best sounding guitar I ever heard! Regards! au
Well, that's really interesting. I have 13125 and not much of it's still original. Brass fingers on the E9, Aluminum fingers on the C6, Kline keyless tuners and solid tooling plate necks. I bought it from Red Rhodes in '79. I think.

I disagree with Kurt, I changed out the pot metal around 1980 and I thought it made a noticable improvement.