The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dual Professional vs. Stringmaster - Your opinions?
RonC

Twin Cities, MN
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2000 7:39 am    

I'm a guitarist looking to add steel guitar to my repertoire/collection and have been looking into Fender steels. I'm a Strat, Tele, Fender amp guy, so I'm pretty much set on Fender as a make.

My question is, what are the differences in tone between the Dual Professional type (string through pickup) and the Stringmaster (dual single coil pickups)? And what have some of the famous players used? (I've read Don Helms used a Gibson). Any other comments or preferences?

Thanks!

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2000 8:49 pm    

Ron, I still use a D8 I purchased in the early 50's. I really like the sound and the short neck makes slants easy. Herb Remington overhauled it a few years ago for me. wwwbillchaviers.com ICQ36667112

------------------

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2000 9:33 am    

Ron - Particularly with the use of the blender control, the Tele-style pickups on the Stringmaster produce a huge tonal range; Stringmasters sound good for any type of music. The "Focused Power" trapezoidal pickups on the pre-Stringmaster are maybe not as versatile, but if you're looking for that biting western-swing sound there's nothing to compare with a Fender Deluxe,DualProfessional or Custom. I just had my Deluxe 8 re-wired (pots and wiring were showing their age), and just can't get enough of listening to the thing. As for Gibson consoles, they're also beautiful instruments (I have a 7- and 8-string Console Grande). The bass is very strong, and the sound generally a little less mid-range-heavy than the Fenders. Most people seem to prefer Fenders, but, hey, if a Gibson's good enough for Don Helms.... It's all a question of personal taste. Try as many instruments as you can before buying.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 3:59 am    

I have a Fender Custom which has three necks.I will take the trapezoidal pickups any day over a Stringmaster.The Custom Pickups are alot stronger.The sound is out of sight.Gibsons are mighty fine.They have a neat tone.I love them both.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 10:33 am    

Ron,
The duals sound a lot better to me, but they can be difficult to play-whenever I've tried 'em the knobs and pickups get in the way. Best if you could try some out.

Adam

Seattle,WA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2000 6:32 pm    

I'd take the Professional over the Stringmaster anyday because of the pickup,but it seems as though Hawaiian players prefer the Stringmasters.I guess thats why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 9:48 pm    

Me too! . . I proudly own a '52 blond Deluxe-8 C6, and a '50 walnut Deluxe-8 E13, both like new. Got them cuz they're similar to Dickie Harris's Triple, I tote 'em around so got singles. Also love the way they look, never tried a Stringmaster. I very much want a lesson from Dickie Harris, a very musical guy.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 10:07 pm    

Interesting thing I noticed this weekend while playing my S-8 Deluxe with the Direct Contact pickup... that's the trapezoidal one found on the Dual Pro's.

When trying to play Joaquin licks in the key of G (E13 tuning) I could not get comfortably above the 17th fret without my hand getting jammed into the pickup, and I have very small hands. I think the Stringmaster is more comfortable when playing up in the higher registers.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 1:36 am    

I agree with Herb about the pickups getting in your way a bit, but I'll deal with it for the sound, Fat and Juicy is the best way I can describe those string-thru pickups. I don't really know why, I've owned three triples and the Dual Pro I'm playing now sounds much better to me than any of those three (and they all sounded slightly different) Walnut vs Ash, the mass of two necks vs three, windings on the pickups, who knows? I guess every guitar has it's own charachter.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Mullen D-10, Fender Triple 8, Dobro

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 5:48 am    

The direct contact "string through" pickups get my vote. I miss hearing the tone of the '52 custom I sold last year. (I don't miss carrying it around).

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 26 May 2000 4:08 am    

Dual or Stringmaster?

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2000 6:43 am    

Stringmaster vs. Dual 8 Professional:
The Stringmaster with the chrome covered pickups and the 26 inch scale was the best sound of any steel guitar Fender made. They are the early ones (circa '54 &'55). Looking at old pictures, Noel Boggs played one of these, also; Johnny Sibert with Carl Smith's Tunesmiths band had a 3-neck. Noel a 4-neck.
Has anyone out there ever owned one of these?

Rick

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2000 7:30 am    

xx

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2000 7:08 pm    

I'll take "Chocolate".
Ricky