The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have you guys checked out fandalism?
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:25 am    

http://fandalism.com/1300 This link is my profile, it's kind of an interesting way to connect with other musicians. I just completed some steel tracks for a great band from Holland through posting on http://soundcloud.com/ . I think http://fandalism.com could also be a great networking opportunity. You can upload samples of your playing on fandalism also. It's a new world with lots of opportunities, we just have to think outside the box a little..

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 9:05 am    

Is there more to this than merely being a lightweight competitor to youtube?

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 9:14 am    

A warning about Fandalism.

There is absolutely no way to delete your profile. Once it has your personal data it does not let go.

Ask me how I know!

They are "working on a profile delete feature".

h

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 10:33 am    

I am on Fandalism too. Not sure what good it will do me, but I'm there anyway.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 10:42 am    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Is there more to this than merely being a lightweight competitor to youtube?

Ron, one difference is that its musician orientated not like youtube where you have your dog playing with the baby etc. It does remind me of my space too but again its for musicians.

Howard, I'm not sure about the profile issue, thats interesting...

I'm always looking for a way to promote what we all do. In this day and time we have more opportunities than ever even though most of them may be outside our on city limits.. ..

Anyway, I'll see what it leads to, if anything?

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 5:02 pm    

I've had a bunch of invites on my wall to it, "Cal Sharp is a great musician, yada, yada..." I Googled it and didn't come up with anything good or positive about it. I mean, you can promote yourself a lot of other ways. So I haven't bit yet. Let us know how it works out. Might be a good thing, I dunno.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 5:48 pm    

Yeah, I blocked it. Looked like just another scam to get info on you so they could target advertisement to you.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 6:04 pm    

I'm glad everyone didn't have the same attitude about this forum or it wouldn't exist now... scam? time will tell..

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 6:35 pm    

I'm happy to recommend Reverbnation and Facebook's "My Band" app. Fandalism has a serious privacy issue imho. Others have noted the issue on several forums. I have emailed, PM's and tweeted the author/owner/moderator on several occasions. No response!

You've been warned. Use it at your own risk.

h

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:25 pm    

Wally, you just have no way of knowing anymore what's legit and what is a scam. I get maybe five a day of "so and so wants you to join them in this group or that." Then you click it on and they want you to provide them with personal information. At the time this forum was started, it wasn't that way.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:44 pm    

It scared me...Anything ELSE that wants access to all of your friends, contacts, etc etc....Im not clicking on it....If it SEEMS invasive, Its probably 5 times more dangerous than it looks...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:47 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Wally, you just have no way of knowing anymore what's legit and what is a scam. I get maybe five a day of "so and so wants you to join them in this group or that." Then you click it on and they want you to provide them with personal information. At the time this forum was started, it wasn't that way.

Clyde,

I get the same things all the time too. I had a few folks that I trust send me request so thought it would be ok... I don't really have a dog in the hunt on this just thought it might be a good way to meet other musicians. I'll check it out and if I get scamed I'll sure let everyone know... It's too late for me, I'v already gotten in... I don't think I gave any info but my email address so don't think they can do much.. I did get hacked on twitter the other day but they caught it... In appreciate everyones thoughts on it...

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:49 pm    

Mickey Adams wrote:
It scared me...Anything ELSE that wants access to all of your friends, contacts, etc etc....Im not clicking on it....If it SEEMS invasive, Its probably 5 times more dangerous than it looks...

Maybe 10 times!! Very Happy

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 3:41 am    

My Friend: Fandalism, OK I'm in, now what.

Me: Now you wait at the postbox for a 1961 Strat!

My Friend: I knew I got conned.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 4:33 am    

Quote:
I had a few folks that I trust send me request so thought it would be ok..

Part of their automated process that went through your friends list. That is how everyone gets in to this "invitation only" site.

h

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 5:25 am    

Smart people are finding ways to latch on to the Facebook craze and make LOTS of money - pretty much everyone is on FB and this is a GOLDMINE to marketers, salespeople, scammers, gamblers, crooks, etc, etc. - I'm not implying any of these groups, but even the "legit" ones are after your wallet (or your friends wallets). Neither they nor FB is there to be your social network, the whole thing is on the verge of being infested with this 3rd party crap.
case in point - a good friend who loves animals sends me this article about a dog beaten with a hammer by its owner and if i would sign an online petition...so like any dog lover, i do...well, then i get signed up for something called "Causes.com" and am flooded with their propaganda about every sad hard luck story and how i can donate to make a difference to this injustice...come to find out the original article about the beaten dog was a YEAR old, had already been to court and settled - they tried to act like my support helped them win the case....and with my financial support they can achieve more like it.

anytime you get flooded with "by invite only" and such and such says you are a "great musician" and we want you in "our unique club"..that is just too many red flags for me. it may be as innocent as manufacturers/music retailers bombarding you with product info - but i dont need any more spam.

I like FB, its great to keep in touch with everyone, see where they are playing, what they are up to - but i dont get involved with any of the requests anymore.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 11:18 am    

I just tried to sign up and got a message that the name Mike Perlowin was already taken.

I have no idea how that happened or who might have done this, or why.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 7:37 am    

I'm with you Jerome, this is the only one I'v taken the bait for.. Mike, the same thing happened to me, somehow I was already signed up so I just filled out the info about when I started playing etc...