The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How tall is a normal steel guitar?
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 10:20 am    

I'm trying to figure out if one of my guitars is unusually tall or if the other is unusually short. What is the standard leg length and from what point do you measure it? OR, how tall is a normal steel from the bottom of the body straight down to the floor?

Brad Sarno
Mullen U-12/'66 Emmons S-10

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 1:18 am    

Brad,
Tailor the height of the steel to suit your physique. How can there be a standard height when the human body varies so much?
Seat height is the starting point to get your steel to its optimum position for comfortable playing.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 1:48 am    

CORRECTION to previous post..due to poor typing .The common , or at least what appears to be a common height of the front legs , from the bottom of the threads ( top of leg ) to the bottom of the collar bottom of the leg , is 23 inches. Guitar cabinet heights will differ so that will effect the total height . I have measured about a dozen steels in the last few months of many brands and almost all were in the 23 inch catagory from the bottom of the cabinet to the bottom of the front leg collars ( top of pedal bar ) . I'm not really sure what all this means but to me it tells me what the leg height should be on my Sho-Bud which I need two front original legs for.

Jerry's post below is right on the money. My Carter sits at just over 25 1/2 from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet. My Sho-Bud sits 26 1/2 and has a 1' lift , so 25 1/2 appears to be the norm.

Next time I'll try to type better...no promises though..

tp

TPrior/SteelGuitarHomesite

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 27 May 2002 at 04:17 AM.]

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 8:02 pm    

Brad, I always order my Emmons guitars one inch taller than standard and I just put the legs in the LeGrande II and set it up on carpet and best I can tell it measures 26 1/2 pressing the tape measure into the carpet and measuring from the floor to the bottom edge of the front apron of the guitar. That should indicate that Emmons considers 25 1/2 to be standard height.
Jerry

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 May 2002 3:20 am    

Jerry is correct.My previous post was way wrong, ( poor typing and not paying attention ). I have corrected my post above Jerry's, thanks Jerry..
tp