The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  T-8 Stringmaster
Elva West

Anaheim, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 10:30 am    

Guitar is in very good condition. All is working properly. Asking $1500 or OBO plus S&H
Additional pictures available. E-mail me at elvawest@sbcglobal.net.

Jon A. Ross

not actually FROM Maine...
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 11:19 am    

Email sent!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 11:21 am    

beautiful!

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 3:08 pm    

Email sent Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 3:41 pm    

beautiful is an understatement.

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 4:08 pm     Stringmaster T8

Is the Stringmaster all original or restored?
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 2:52 pm     Seller?

The seller in this case appears to be a company. Tradewinds Steel Guitars Inc in Anaheim California. Has anyone ever heard of them? This price seems a bit low for a T8 Stringmaster in mint condition.
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 3:00 pm     Stringmasters

There are several D8 Stringmasters on the Tradewinds web page that look just as clean as this T8. This all seems to good to be true.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 3:29 pm    

Maybe Elva can give us a little insight into this Smile

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 3:36 pm    

Anyone know what scale this steel is?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 4:47 pm    

It's 24 1/2" scale (3 fret markers past the 24th fret)

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 7:40 pm     westwind steel inc

I did some more research and West Wind Steel Inc appears to be ligit. The blonde D8 Stringmaster on the web site has been sold. The other Stringmasters are look alikes produced by Elva for sale.

Jon A. Ross

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 10:18 pm    

I spoke to him. The original case was discarded and he has made a new case for it. There was also some minor funny business that has been corrected; I'm not sure I goit the details straight. Probably a later 60's-70's guitar, but he didn't know. I hope it is not out of line for me to report what he told me.

Kevin Greenberg

Lakewood, CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 10:49 pm     stringmaster

Elva West is known in the hawaiian steel guitar community as a master steel guitar builder and Stringmaster authority. He is a friend of a friend of mine. Also, if you need Stringmaster parts, he is the man to see. Yall better jump on this one.

Jon A. Ross

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 7:56 am     Re: stringmaster

Kevin Greenberg wrote:
Elva West is known in the hawaiian steel guitar community as a master steel guitar builder and Stringmaster authority. He is a friend of a friend of mine. Also, if you need Stringmaster parts, he is the man to see. Yall better jump on this one.

I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to this gentleman (Mr. West) on the phone! He was very interesting and accomodating!

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 8:07 am    

So, if there is a restoration story behind this guitar--in all fairness to prospective buyers, they need to know the details!

Jon A. Ross

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 8:27 am    

Get the information from the accomodating Mr. West. I would hate to possibly erroneously misquote him. There was something about some modification, but I will admit that my interest in the inst decreased when I heard that there was, to the point where I do not accurately recall the details. Call or email him to satisfy your own curiousity!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 8:51 am    

Elva West is, indeed, a master builder, his own brand of lap steels sound amazing. I don't know the details of this guitar, but if it sounds as good as it looks, this is a great deal. I'd grab it if resources weren't going towards other gear. Elva is also a wonderful gentleman, honest to the bone.

Jon A. Ross

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 9:18 am    

I hope no one thinks I in any way disparage the good name of Mr. Elva West. I found him to be utterly charming and informative on the phone. And if you like to talk Hawaiian guitar, I am sure he has much to say! Many asked for details on the guitar, and I can only report that there are minor issues any potential buyer should investigate. As for me, I am a freak for a Fender case, and the idea of toting this guitar in a ugly-ass grey ozite-covered box took this guitar out of the running. If that is not an objection to you, then, by all means, call Mr. West! Muhalo!

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 10:03 am    

I see it as an important factor to consider, but not totally discarding the possibility of purchasing the item - all kinds of vintage parts, cases, are often available on eBay or Gbase, or ask local music store, you never know. As I hear more about it I wonder more about it!!

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 10:35 am    

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DID HEAR FROM MR WEST WITH A SERIAL NUMBER! MY APOLOGIES!! I have edited my previous post to reflect this change..

Last edited by Carl Mesrobian on 24 Mar 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 10:37 am     Stringmaster T8

I asked Mr. West about the resoration issue and he assured me it has not been restored. I also asked for high resolution close up pictures which he is going to send me. I have (2) T8 Stringmasters so I am not all that interested in buying this one unless it is original and in very good conditon. The low price made me wonder if there was a lurking problem. I was more interested in the D8 stringmaster on his web site but it is sold. Didn't know the case wasn't original. Anyone interested should take a look at the high resolution pictures when they are available.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 10:40 am    

I heard from Mr. West yesterday and he stated he will send more pics (to me? to post?) when he gets them - good things take time, no?

Jon A. Ross

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 11:06 am     Re: Stringmaster T8

Jim Waldrop wrote:
I asked Mr. West about the resoration issue and he assured me it has not been restored. I also asked for high resolution close up pictures which he is going to send me. Anyone interested should take a look at the high resolution pictures when they are available.

If you rteceive these elusive additional photos will you please post them here? I am sure I am not the only one here who would appreciate the opportunity to see them!!

Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 1:58 pm     photos

When I get them I will John.