The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zumsteel and BL 610?
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 7:18 am    

Have anyone tried out Bill Lawrence 610 pickups on a Zumsteel.

I have a pair of 610`s and wonder if anyone has tried this combination with a Zum.

All answers are welcome.

Thanks, Dag

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 9:14 am    

I would tend to think they would be way too thin and edgy for a Zoom. 710's seem to be the standard choice but I like the XR-16's from Bill Lawrence on my Zoom.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 11:24 am    

Mike--is the XR-16 Bill's new 're-created' 705?

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 12:31 pm    

Is it still possible to purchase BL 710's?
To me the best sounding PU's.
JJ

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 8:12 pm    

Sorry Mike....wrong....610's went away because the 910 was closer to the sound Bill was after....thinner?...no. Thicker than the 710. Again...the XLR-16 antennuates the odd harmonics, through pickup design itself, and clears the upper mid-range/low high 'harshness' that some people hear in their guitars. To me, it translates as a 'sweeter' pickup. Bill's not making a 705 because his new designs are so much better, and light years beyond the double blade design in response and sound, so why go back?
Johan, the 710 is not only available, it is the #1 selling steel pickup made...and for good reason.
And Mike....again......the 910's were designed for the Zumsteel, Derby, Fessenden, and the like. Fine guitars all, which is the reason Bill made a pickup specifically for them. The 610 was an earlier design leading to the 910....so it would be a pretty darn good choice for a Zumsteel.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 9:01 pm    

Wrong? Me? Well, maybe bent just a little. Yes, I know the 910 was made for a Zoom but alot that Bruce sends out have 710's in them. They are much too sharp and thin sounding for me (on a Zoom) but the 910 sounds too dark. To me, (and this is a dangerous statement) the XR-16 sort of meets both in the middle for a silky smooth (lack of a better description) sound without that cutting shrill of the highs. As you know, I have 705's (or 805's) on my LeGrande III and my push/pull and have no intention of changing them because they deliver the sound I like with those guitars. Now, getting back to this wrong business, just how long have you been waiting for the chance to type that word to me? OK, you got me!

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2002 4:19 am    

Jeff THANKS!
I will put the 610`s on my Zum within a couple of weeks and leave a feedback.

I`ve used 710`s which sounded pretty good - specially for recording. I was missing some sounds in them though. I guess it will be wrong to compare 710 with a single coil pickup. It`s a different world and have both their good and lesser good sides. It`s just a matter of which taste you`ve got, I guess.

Thanks, Dag

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2002 11:15 am    

I own two ZumSteel's and I have had tried the 610 , 710, and 910...They are all good pickups but my choice in the studio is the BL -710..I have not yet tried the X ...

On stage, and anywhere other than the studio, I prefer the single coils on both my 1998 and 2001 Zum's..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com