The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone use tom Morrel tuning?
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 12:55 pm    

The tuning I mean is this, except for the B on the bottom instead of the low E.
G#
F#
E
C#
B
G#
F#
E
D
B
I'm starting to find some very interesting pockets and harmonized scales. However, ji am wondering if there is any tabulature or books on this tuning.
All the best,-Andy

[This message was edited by Andy Greatrix on 13 May 2000 at 01:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by Andy Greatrix on 13 May 2000 at 01:59 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 4:36 pm    

I use this tuning on my new SS HAWAIIAN 10-string steel I built. I will use a variation of this tuning still; but putting the F# note on the very top(first string)what I'm used to more.
I did tab out a version of "Oklahoma Stomp" with the makings of this tuning; over on the Rebel and Ricky non-pedal and Hawaiian page. You can link to it below. I think I even tabbed some others but I can't remember; so check it out.
I think Tommy Morrell is a genious musician and far beyond anything I've seen. I've heard him walk up to my Fender triple-8 and ask "Hey Ricky what is this top tuned to"; I answered;"E Tommy". And then he would strum down the strings and hear the intervals and then commence to play the "you know what" out of it. Then he would ask the same for my middle tuning and then bottom tuning; and all three necks are tuned different key and intervals and he had no problem playing far beyond anything I've ever heard just by strummin' each neck and hearing the intervals.>"AMAZING".
I just had to share this story because Tommy told me what ever you tune your guitar to; just understand the intervals between the strings and you will do fine. He also told me; he used that E tuning just for the CD's as a gimmick tuning. He only uses the C6/Am7 tuning on his new single-10 CW steel; but he does have some lock in levers to change the intervals to several different tunings.
Have fun.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 9:11 am    

Thanks for the reply, Ricky. I checked out your web page and it looks like a very informative opertunity. I'm going down to Black Diamond Alberta to jam with fellow forumite and friend, John Lacey today and I will look into it in more detail when I get back. Since I'm only sitting in, I can sing all the Ray Price, George Jones and Lefty Frizzel songs I want to.It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. Again, thank you very much.
All the best,-Andy

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 4:22 pm    

Your welcome.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 8:18 pm    

ooooooooo

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 1:49 am    

Hey Mike I have seen him play that thing. Hey you metioned some chord possibilities Vance was talkin' about on that tuning. Can you pass some on. If you have a substitute chord here and there just off the top of your head that Vance tossed you; please throw it over pal. I understand the tuning real well so you won't be throwing to the wall; but I'm stuck with the same predictable chord and would love to vary some substitutes with that tuning>the way Vance thought.
I don't get to see Morrell that much since I moved to Round Rock; but everytime I ask him for an alternative chord; he says "Ah your doing fine Rick; just keep listening to the instrument; it will come out". What the hell does that mean>duh. I hate when he says that. Anyway Mike if you find out where Vance landed let us/me know; and I'll do the same. Can you imagine Tommy and Vance getting together?They would probably both go up in flames from the combustion of leathal "You know what"(ha........LOL.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 8:02 am    

Is the steel player Tom Morrell the same person that was known for his standard 6-string guitar picking?

Thanks

-Bill

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 9:45 am    

One and the same - Tom is an awesome musician on both. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend "Pteryadactyl Tales, Vol. 4" with Clint Strong on guitar and Tom on steel; sublime swing jazz with solos from both Tom & Clint that'll make your jaw drop. I believe Frenchy Messier has it on CD.