The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Q: Knee raising 1&2 a whole tone and half tone?
Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:38 pm    

Hi Folks. I'm considering a (rather common, I guess) addition to my setup. Apparently, many folks have this on their guitars...

It would be a knee that raises 1 a whole tone and 2 a half tone. It's almost an A+B pedal sound on strings 1&2 which would be handy in some keys.

Question is... What knee to put this on???

I currently have the "standard" Emmons setup on my Mullen, where RKL lowers 6 a whole tone, and raises 1 a half tone.

Would there be (in your opinion) a disadvantage of modifying this RKL setup to "lose" the 1st string half tone raise and replace it with the whole tone raise, while adding the half tone raise on 2nd string as well? My guitar is a D10 8x4

I could use some advice and opinions. Thanks in advance...
Best, -Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 05 April 2002 at 07:40 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:53 pm    

I say go for it on your RKL, raise 1 a whole tone, 2 a half tone, and lower 6 a whole tone. I have mine set up almost like that (I raise 7 a whole tone instead) and use the 2nd string for a half stop feel on 1 and 7. It's like having two or three levers in one.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 8:27 pm    

Lowering the 6th destroys the chord across the neck....raise the 7th a whole tone.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 7:26 am    

I would strongly consider adding a second RKL OR RKR to get this change. Since Jeff Peterson is correct, and I could never give up lowering the 6th a whole tone, 'tis best (IMHO) to raise 1 AND 7 a whole tone and raise the 2nd a half tone with a separate knee lever.

I lower the 6th AND 10th a whole tone on my U-12. ANY other change on this knee lever would mess up the chord across all strings.

That is why I never liked raising the 1st string a half a tone with this lever (as is standard on most PSG's). Both need to be on separate knee levers. And now wanting the 1st string raise to a whole tone requires still a 3rd knee lever IMO.

So here is the way I feel it would be best.

LKL raise 4 and 8 a half tone.

LKL2 lower 5 and 10 a half tone.

LKV raise 1 and 7 a half tone.

LKR lower 4 and 8 a half tone.

RKL lower 6 a whole tone. (Split it with the B pedal using a tunable split). Don't put anything else on this knee lever.

RKR lower 2 a whole tone with half tone feel. And lower the 9th string a half tone. (Use the 9th string pull as the "feel" for the 2nd string D note).

RKR2 raise 1 and 7 a whole tone and raise 2 a half a tone.

It will warp your mind for a while getting used to it. But when I saw Tom Brumley using two RKR's, I said, "If he can do it, I believe I can learn to do it". Such was the case. Praise our Dear Lord,

carl

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 9:24 am    

I have this change on the LKV:

String #1: F# - G#
String #2: D# - E
String #7: F# - G#

I then have this on my LKR:

String #1: F# - G
String #5: B - Bb
String #9: B - Bb

By the way - it's a U-12.

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders

[This message was edited by SveinungL on 06 April 2002 at 09:27 AM.]

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 4:37 am    

Dave, I have that change you want on my Mullen. All you need to do is venture out to one of our gigs, two of which this month is not far from your home, or simply drop over my house and try out my set up.
Gary Lee

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 4:58 am    

Listen to Jeff Peterson,Raise the seventh string a whole tone! Don't make me have to come out there!

R. K. S.

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 11:56 am    

With all due respect (a considerable amount) to Jeff and Bobbe, raising string 7 is not the same thing as lowering string 6, especially if your guitar is splitting the 6 lower with the second pedal, something I use a lot. The two options lend themeselves to different uses. (If I thought I could deal with two RKLs I'd have both, but my uncoordinated self is having enough trouble getting used to the two LKLs on my new GFI.)

I'm lowering 6 and doing the 1 & 2 raises on RKL, btw, and raising 1 and 7 a half-step with the second LKL. LKV lowers 5 and 10 and half-step and the rest of my setup is standard Emmons (well actually, P1 is lowering 5 and 10 a whole step and P2-P4 are the usual P1-P3).

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 12:53 pm    

That exactly why your career is in the toilet!--------------(just had to say that)
Seriously, If you want to lower the sixth, do it, but do it somewhere else (like Afghanistan) but on the knee that raises strings one and two, I'd raise the seventh everytime. I also lower the sixth, a whole and a half, but I raise One, Two, and seven together. I know what you are thinking Mike,If my set-up is so good, why aren't I working more! Well-------- I have this trick knee and-------------->

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 12:58 pm    

By the way everyone, I respect Mike Fried very much and he is one of Jeff Peterson's and my best friends. He playes very great and is the great steel player with Gary Allen,triple platnum recording artist. Be watching for him, he is doing a lot of T.V. work now, and has a great sounding new GFI guitar that he bought a couple months ago.
(I'll work on him about his pedal set-up!)
Kidding!

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 07 April 2002 at 01:59 PM.]

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 1:15 pm    

"Don't make me have to come out there!"

And when you do, Bobbe, I have a room booked for you at the corner of Penn. Ave SE and Minnesota Ave, SE. When you are all settled in, you can guide me on my 6th string, 1/2 tone lower. I have that change on a knee lever that also lowers string two one whole step. Pedal combinations which includes A pedal and the knee levers that lower and raise the E's make for some, well to my ears, interesting chords. Kinda like squeezing in and out, passing chords, if you will! Time to freshen up my goblet!!!!
Gary Lee

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 1:18 pm    

I just gobbled up a fresh-ner,------->

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 9:48 pm    

Thanks for the undeserved kind words, Bobbe... Rereading my post, I failed to make my real point that given the 8+4 setup originally in discussion, on an all-pull guitar I would choose to lower 6 the whole tone rather than raising 7 (along with the raises on 1 and 2). This is of course nothing but personal preference based on how I play and the use of the 6th string split. If I was playing a push-pull, I'd do the opposite as I wouldn't have that split available (yeah, I know you could rig one up for me...) Now as for the mess I've got myself into with my 8+7 setup, I don't wanna talk about it. Wanna buy some GFI knee levers? Kidding...