The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pick up suggestions for Carter E9th
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 7:55 pm    

What pickup would give a fuller sound to my D-10 Carter (E9th neck). It presently has the GL E-66 and is a nice clean sound but incomparing it to another couple of guitars with different pickups tonight, it was a little thinner -- but still very good sounding. Would the Bill Lawrence 710 be a warmer pickup? With all due respect to the much discussed posts about tone being in the hands etc, the pickups do have different sound on guitars. Thanks in advance to everyone for the input and thoughts on the best pickup to give a fuller tone.

------------------

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 12:03 pm    

Bill,
You will get a purer tone if you can find some single coil pickups. Unfortunately, they are very hard to come by these days, the only manufacturer using (making?) them that I know of is Mullen.
On a different tack, I must thank Larry Bell for elevating me to the peerage.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 12:50 pm    

It is my pleasure, Sir Richard
Your membership in the Order of the Knee Lever is well deserved.

I still believe that the Emmons push-pull sound is best represented by a single coil pickup, which was the original in most of those guitars. I made (and make) no such claim for Carter or any other brand, although Bruce Zumsteg made some really great single coils. Don't know if he still offers them.

Sorry if my vigor in making my point was offensive to you. I tried to emphasize that this was only my opinion, to which we are all entitled.
------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 01 April 2002 at 12:53 PM.]

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 1:14 pm    

Fellow players,I have recently started my new business of building and rewinding single coil pickups..I have been building/winding now for several years...However, I just decided a few months ago, to start a single coil pickup business.

I only offer single coil pickups.I feel they are the best for sound/tone..Of coarse, they do have some hum..

If you need a hummbucker, I recommend a Bill lawrence or a George-L..

But if a single coil is what your looking for,I can fix you up.

Here is a link to my web page which is still under construction but does have some info now..Also, here is a link to my MSN page which has more information..

http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 1:15 pm    

Larry,
I don't take any offence at all, I welcome a bit of banter.Of course we are all entitled to have opinions. In fact, I have always advocated single coils, and Emmons Push/Pulls.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 2:17 pm    

I have the George L TPPP's on both of my D-10 Carter's. I have to be careful to not make them too muddy, but that's MY PROBLEM, not the pick-up!

------------------
"Gimme a steel guitar, 2 or 3 fiddles and a Texas rhythm section that can swing"..W. Nelson

[This message was edited by Bill Cunningham on 02 April 2002 at 07:05 AM.]

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 7:23 am    

B Cole, thanks for correcting my memory lapse. Of course, the TPPP (3 P's) is from George L not Bill Lawrence. I edited my original post.

Though I got the manufacture's name wrong, I still think it has a full tone my Carters.

Bill C.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 5:07 am    

In my Carter I tried a E66, a TPP, a 605 and the a Emmons single coil. The sound for me really came together with the single coil, I was blown away by the difference.

Larry Behm

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 5:34 am    

Like Bill C, I also have two Carter D-10's. The E-66 on the E9th neck was a little too bright for my taste, so I asked Carter to use the same pickup (as the stock C6th pick up) on both necks of my second one. THAT gave me the tone I've been looking for all these years.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo