The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LKV=sixth full tone drop(E9)?
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 2:49 am    

I am contemplating moving my sixth string full tone drop from my RKL to LKV. I use the DAY set up. At the moment my LKV drops my 5th and 10th a half tone. I find that I don't use this move much. Has anyone got any comments and ideas so that I can see if the proposed change is worthwhile.
Thanks, Richard.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 5:31 am    

I think LKV is a good position for the 6th string full tone drop, especially if you don´t use it a whole lot. On my last steel (Dekley S-12) I had that change sometimes (I used to change copedents around often) and always found it very comfortable on the vertical (I didn´t use it a whole lot, either).

Regards, Joe H.

bob grossman

Visalia CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 7:30 am    

I don't have this change, but I know many players do. I need someone to explain how it is used...since there is already an F# string just below it. This isn't a sarcastic comment, I really want to know as I might change the lower F# to G# change to do just the opposite. Of course, the F# to G# gives a M7 with A and B, but doesn't fit too well in "Crazy Arms."

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 9:08 am    

Sure the F# is already on string 7, but in some cases it´s not the notes but the pedal movement that makes the sound.
Play this:

1___________________________
2___________________________
3______10B__________________
4_________ 10_______________
5______________10A~10_______
6_____________________10B___
7___________________________

Now try the same thing ONE OCTAVE BELOW, on the 3rd fret starting with string 4, then 5...
See what I mean?

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 11:35 am    

Using the G# - F# on 6th string together with both E's - Eb gives a nice V-chord with a 6th/13th note on top (3rd string) in open position. Almost the same as A+F 2 frets lower.
Playing strings 9 6 4 with 9string D-C# & 6string G#-F# work as a V7, releasing both changes gives a IV7, slide up 1 fret and raise E-F you have I7.
Lots and lots and lots of nice things to do with that change in combination with other pedals/levers.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 12:26 pm    

LKV is easiest to engage with pedals down. If you mainly use that drop to get the split "G" note, then LKV is a good place for it. But if you use it a lot without the pedals, you might find that long vertical travel uncomfortable.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 8:12 pm    

I agree with what b0b says. A half tone drop is better on a LKV like B to Bb, or F# to G . Whole tones are longer pulls and half tone pulls would be easier on Up knees....al

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 8:46 pm    

I tried moving this change to my LKV and found it to be very awkward. Moved it back to RKR.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 3:11 am    

I´d like to add, the guitar on which I had it on LKV was a good deal lower that standard height, my legs would fit just under it even though I extended the guitar´s back legs, so hitting the vertical even without A and B pedals was no problem at all. On a standard height PSG I might find it awkward, too.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 11:44 am    

Thanks for all the replies, fellow forumites.
I went ahead and did the change on my Carter, as that is the easiest of my steels to alter set-ups. Needless to say, b0b was correct in his analysis, and I have now reverted to my usual copedent.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2002 2:22 pm    

I just added the 6th string 1/2 tone lower to my LKV today. To get the combination I am looking for, you let off the B and hold the A, so reaching the lever is a cinch. I moved my 7th string raise rod to the second string, so lowering 6th string 1/2 tone should compensate for what I lost.
Emmons Push Pull.

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 26 March 2002 at 02:24 PM.]

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2002 8:51 pm    

Tommy White also uses the LKV for the 6 string drop and it's very effective.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2002 11:01 pm    

One of the things I've enjoyed most about my Franklin is LKV.Install any change or changes and it's just as comfortable as any other knee pedal. The lever will adjust as low as I need it.And the travel is short and soft.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 10:58 am    

I have that change (drop 6 0ne full step) on my lkv and find that it works great for me, even though the travel is a little long. I have to let off my floors to get it, but normally it's not used with A B, or C pedals engaged anyway. So it works for me!
Hal Higgins

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 5:25 pm    

Has anyone tried a second staggered LKL for the sixth string full tone drop,? I find it uncomfortable on the LKV, as this is where I'm used to the 1/2 tone drop on that string, au

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:16 pm    

Al...I use a staggered lkl, and I like having two over on that side. The one closest to me is where I raise my E's to F, the inside one I use to lower string 2 one whole step and string 9 a half step....the lkv works great for me in lowering #6 a full step.

HAL HIGGINS

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 8:29 am    

Thanks Hal, what your doing with the 2 LKLs is exactly what I had in mind, the problem I have with the full drop on the LKV is, that, I find having to have my foot on the floor behind the pedals to activate the full drop is a little unorthodox, but it works great when tuned to the 1/2 drop that I use in the pedals down position! au

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 6:39 pm    

Al...that's why I just lift my foot totaly off the floor when using that change, because usually, when using that particular drop it's used mainly with strings 4,5 & 6. Right? Therefore , there's no need for your left foot to be on the pedals, so make it easy on yourself and just lift the leg to help engage the LKV. Just a suggestion.....HAL