The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6'9" steeler needs height adjustmant HELP!!
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 6:10 pm    

I need help with my Sho-Bud ProIII custom....I had longer rods made,extended the front and back legs ,but because of the way the pedal rack mounts to the front legs,it slides up periodically and I can't maintain proper pedal height.(they actually bottom out on the floor!)...I've tried all sorts of remedies..they work marginally...My old Sho-Bud Professional's pedal rack bolted through the legs and tightened with a wing nut...eliminating the slipping pedal height issue,and I can do this all on a drill press with the Pro III,but I am trying not to alter the originality of this gorgeous mid 70's steel....Any ideas?....Being this TALL ain't EASY sometimes!!......Thanks for any and ALL suggestions....

Chris Boyd

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 6:11 pm    

just for the record..I do know how to spell ADJUSTMENT !! ha...

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 8:25 pm    

You need a couple pieces of PVC tube or pipe to go over the smaller portion of the front legs, between the leg clutch and the pedal bar. I've also seen a collar and set screw used, and I've even seen a guitar where someone drilled a hole in the front legs and screwed in machine screws to do the same thing.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 9:43 pm    

The way Duane Marrs showed me how to do it back in '72 was to unscrew all the legs, to cut 4 pieces of wooden dowell to the desired length U want the legs to stick out from the bottom, small enough in diameter to slide through the larger leg tube, but big enough in diameter to withstand the pressure of the inside part of the leg. U insert the dowells, screw the legs back together, ta-da. Jim's idea is good too, & there are extension kits out there. But I sympathize with U, Chris. I've fought this problem for years.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 9:57 pm    

Thanx, B.C.

Peter

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 10:51 pm    

I would just buy 4 inside pipes, drill holes in the bottom for the rack and holes in the top for wingnuts under the clutch. And of course, keep the original inside legs for posterity.

Chris Boyd

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 6:13 am    

I REALLY appreciate all the superb advice...I kind of miss my old Professional with the wood necks,cheesy undercarriage,and drilled out EVERYTHING!!...I'm off to the music room to try to fix this leg thing...thanks again guys....Chris

Chris Boyd

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 11:21 am    

Thought I would share this simple and totally EFFECTIVE solution with you guys.....I used clear 5/8" internal diameter tubing!.....Cut to desired length between the leg clutch and the pedal rack...slide it on with the help of some dish soap...WOW!...Can't believe this problem has finally been solved so easily,and effectively.........Thanks again....CB

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2002 1:00 pm    

Quote:
clear 5/8" internal diameter tubing
Good idea, and I bet it looks a lot better than my ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 2:17 pm    

Get yourself a hacksaw, and saw off the bottom 4 inches of your feet and legs.

I know it might hurt and bleed just a little bit, but think of not having to alter your beautiful steel guitar!!!

Please understand that I am not a lawyer, and my advice is free. You get what 'cha pay for, so remember that.

Garnett