The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Why alot of Peavey Nashville 1000 for sale
Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 1:25 am    

I have noticed over the past few months more and more Peavey Nashville 1000 for sale or trade.Is everyone thinking of going back to tubes?Do any of you not like that amp anymore,or are you having trouble trying to find THAT SOUND!This is just my observation that many of the guys are not happy with that amp.I wonder if Mike Brown has a tube steel guitar amp up his sleave in the near future? Maybe one that you could get 2 12 BW or 1 15 BW? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! (NICE THOUGHT)

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 3:48 am    

Rusty... I just bought a 1000 from Jack Jones. His reason for selling it was that it wasn't quite "that sound" he was listening for. On the other hand it is proving to be "that sound" that I was looking for. I like it but as a new steeler I am not sure if I still have the "right" sound(hehe). I will be at the MASGA jam today and tomorrow and maybe I will hear a different sound that I like as well. I do know this... My steel sounds entirely different than Jack's as I am sure all steels do. So the bottom line here ....I think.... is that as my friend Mike Brown said... it's in the ear of the beholder. I also have a tube Fender Deville but thought it leaned to the highs too much. I did however keep it just in case I want that sound again(hehe). I do not like the tube noise but when your into the song you don't hear it. Personally and I think I speak for a lot of guys... We steelers like our toys and we like getting new toys and selling ones that we have had a while or some toys we haven't had long at all. I am looking for another steel but the wife is gonna kill me if she see's a new one in my music room(hehe).Ray

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 4:01 am    

Rusty I too have noticed a seemingly higher amount of 1000's for sale but I don't think it has anything to do with the amp in itself.

Many of the folks I know have probably two maybe three steel amps and have probably decided to let one go. The 1000 carries a fair amount of value so that would be the one to sell.

I currently have a new N1000 and sold my N400.I find that the N1000 is very very close in tone to the N400 but it seems to have more clarity on the bottom end and a more clarity at high level volume. But make no mistake , even I would rate the N400 as the reference and considering a very nice one costs around $350 the 400 may seem more inviting than spending over $600 for an N1000. I really didn't need to make a change but the opportunity presented itself to me for a very good deal on the 1000 and a quick sale ( good deal as well) on the 400 so I reacted.

If I had to make a comment I would say that the N1000 is a bit stronger in the Mids than I prefer over the N400, for some that may be an issue , for others maybe not.

I also played thru a Fender Twin for many years, excellent amp, I used to consider it my second son to my Telecaster but for me there is no contest between the N400/N1000
vs the Twin for steel..Now for 6 string , it's another story..

Right now many of us have a lot of money invested in extra things that we probably don't need , I think what we are seeing is just a trend to move some things around a bit. The 1000 is a great amp...so is the N400...So is the Twin !!

couple of cents worth
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so...
TP

PS, I'm gonna try to make the jam in Fayetteville on Sunday, hope to see ya

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 23 March 2002 at 04:27 AM.]

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 7:02 am    

I had a 400 and a 1000. A friend of mine had a new 1000 and didn't like it so we traded. He likes the 400 better and I am very happy with my two 1000s. The only thing that I don't like about the 1000 is the reverb. To me it is too brittle sounding. The 1000s are light weight, sound great, and have plenty of power for any gig.
I just wish they had digital reverb.

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.

[This message was edited by Joe Smith on 23 March 2002 at 07:04 AM.]

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 7:12 am    

Light weight?? Speaking of sound, at my age that sounds like the amp I'm looking for.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 7:40 am    

Well Buddy at your age you're not much older than a lot of us at our age ! Actually probably younger than some too..

My good friend Joe still has two good strong arms to carry those two N1000's. And 56 pounds is still lighter than 60 pounds ! But heck whats 4 pounds among friends !

Light is a relevent term, kinda like Lite Beer . I don't feel any lighter after drinking a few ..

Top of the morning to you all..
TP

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 24 March 2002 at 02:12 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 7:42 am    

I play through a rack setup right now, but I used to play through two 400s and that is a great sounding setup. I've got a couple of mod kits from Peavey that I am going to be putting in the 400s along with a kit for a Profex II and I think that this setup will be hard to beat!
Uff-Da!

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 7:48 am    

I'll carry your amp Buddy!

I agree with Joe S. about the reverb.
I use a Nash 400 with reverb set to OFF.
I use a RV-3 stomp box for reverb.

Of course it's in the "ears of the beholders". This "beholder" never liked the sound of Peavey's reverbs. My Gold Standard for reverb is the Fender Twin. The RV-3 is a bit lighter.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 12:23 pm    

I'm still waiting for Bose to make the ultimate steel amp with a 4 inch speaker that sounds like a Session 400. Now that would be very very cool.

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 1:56 pm    

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - and nobody mentioned the Session 500s plus points. Great amp great weight great sound too ----- if I only had money to buy another one.........

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 2:10 pm    

Speaking of Bose, they sure have some novel speaker designs. My car has a factory-installed Bose sound system with a built-in subwoofer. It's an "inverted design" speaker (magnet in front of the cone). This speaker is less than 3" deep. I think that the new rare-earth (neodymium) speakers will usher in a new standard of amp design.

Quite soon, we could see a 100-watt amp with a 12" speaker that's only a little bit larger than a regular attache case...and weighs in at only 20 pounds!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2002 2:11 pm    

I go along with Lighter weight.

Come on Mike Brown, you guys can come up with a lighter nashville 1000.

Where is that new lightweight speaker that was supposed to cut 16 lbs.?????

You say cost too much? How about letting us decide with our pocketbooks.

I would pay a little more for a 1000 if I could cut 16 to 20 lbs.

And so will a lot of guys buy that new LIGHTWEIGHT high quality MSA coming out soon.....al

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 2:29 am    

I would have to agree that it's time for someone to stand out in front of the pack with a combo amp that weighs less and puts out more. Perhaps Evans is approaching that.

My Carter D-10 at around 37 pounds has caught my attention over my 55 pound Sho-Bud.
I'm sold, Carter won.

Most likely the problem is how much will be invested in the design vs how many will be sold and at what cost, it's always the money thing. I think we in this Steel community are fortunate that there are a few manufacturers still willing to stay in the "Steel" amp market. It would be real easy for Peavey to just sell amps for keyboards and 6 strings.

We do have a Bose speaker system here at the house with the sub-woofer and the little 4 inch cubes, it sounds great at low to moderate volume, BUT at high levels they are not even close to the Cerwin Vega three way 12" speakers in walnut cabinets !

tp

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 10:39 am    

The reason there are more for sale is because there are a lot more of them out there now! I have sold hundreds and can sell all I can get. As you know Rusty, I even bought yours, AND I sold them both the next day! I think they are wonderful, but I do wish Peavey would make a "small" version of the same amp like they did the "Session 400" and the "LTD 400" versions. I like different amps for different jobs. I still use the Sho-Bud (Cain) amps for some jobs. The older Nashville 400 amps can be great also. There are several good amps and some not to suitable. Taste is the secret, I don't feel that one amp is perfect for every job, however , the new Nashville 1000 is about as close as one can get. If I could only have one amp, this would be the one.

Bobbe

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 8:31 pm    

Let me make this clear, I have never said or stated that Peavey Amps where not good.I think Peavey is great gear in fact I use it now. I agree with you too Bobbe that the Nashville 1000 is a great amp and yes you did buy those amps froms me cause we have done business together for alot of years. What i guess I am asking is would you or anybody else like to see Peavey make a tube amp for steel guitar.There equipment is top of the line and (YOU CANNOT WEAR IT OUT), so just think what A TUBE AMP THEY COULD MAKE!

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 8:41 pm    

OH YES BOBBE, By the way you still OWE me remeber, THE SMALL THING !!!!! YOUR LIFE!!!!!!LMAO HAAAAAAHAAAAAAA. I am still your DR! but if it werent for that DAMN PATIENT-DR CONFIDENT CLAUSE! I would own STEEL GUITAR NASHVILLE!!!!!!!ROTFLMAO

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 9:42 pm    

Rusty. Try a Peavey "Tube Sweetener" unit on top of your 1000 and I think you'll have the Peavey tube amp sound you're looking for.

Al Marcus. quote - "You say cost too much? How about letting us decide with our pocketbooks. I would pay a little more for a 1000 if I could cut 16 to 20 lbs.

How about $400.00 more Al? That's about what a Neodymium magnet will cost on the back of the Black Widow speaker!

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2002 11:34 pm    

Rusty, you are the greatest! Yes , Rusty, YOU DID SAVE MY LIFE!! In 1989, I guess I owe you the most! I'm sure you have done this for others also. You are a great doctor, I wish you were still practicing medicine instead of practicing steel! I'm glad to know you now and VERY glad I knew you in '89!! Thanks again Dr. Hurse,I'll never forget this debt.

Bobbe

Bobbe

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2002 12:35 pm    

How does Nashville 1000 sound compared to Session 500? I like the clinically clean and clear sound of my 20 yrs old Session 500, and I can still carry it at age 55. I need an amp capable of amplifying tow wire sized no 12-14 strings loud and clear, whithout getting muddy.

Anders Brundell
(Copedant at http://communities.msn.se/countryfolketiDalarna/dcmcsfotoalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=91 )

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 8:53 pm    

I don`t know about 500,but it doesn`t get any cleaner or louder than 1000.Great amp,sounds great in combination with my 2120.A lot of sound for the money.

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 27 March 2002 at 08:53 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 2:48 pm    

Danny- that much eh.? 40 % more? I thought it would be like an option, $100. extra or so. See you in Grand Rapids....Happy Easter to all...al

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 3:29 pm    

Blundel said: " and I can still carry it at age 55......"

You've got lots more time....I'm 70 and can still carry my Session 500! www.genejones.com

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 4:37 pm    

Gene,
I never argue with anyone that can carry a session 500!(or even lift one) If you can carry a session 500, you can carry TWO Session 1000's. ( and I still won't argue with you). Actually, I love them both, AND the Session 400. We are lucky to have a great company that cares as much about us steel players as Peavey does( and always has).This is a lot of great amp for very little money, compared to many other brands.
If it wern't for the Peavey company, no telling how expensive Steel amps would be now, I feel this company has presented the world of steel guitar with a fantstic product at a time when the price of everything else we have to buy is escalating through the roof! What if this great company decided quit building steel amps, what do you think would happen to the price of old used ones? Lets count our blessings and I think given a fair chance, The new 1000 will suit you well.

(this opinion does not nescessarily reflect the views of any of the inhabitants of Marrs or any outlying planets.)

Seriously, this is a great company that deserves our patronage!

G.Otta Plhalouder III

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 4:51 pm    

Moved from 'Pedal Steel' to 'Electronics'