The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new "Best Of" CD/ All proceeds to go to the forum
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2012 1:54 pm    

At b0b's urging, I have compiled a retrospective CD that contains the live track of my chamber music trio that appears on the Forum CD and Charles Tilly's web site, plus the very best of my 3 CDs.

The selections range from from the minimalist "Afternnoon of a Faun," which is just steel (sometimes played with an E-bow,) guitar and bass, to the massive productions of the Dance at the Gym medley from West Side story, and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's epic "Capriccio Espagnol." This last piece is 15 minutes long, required 109 tracks to record, (!) and in my opinion, is one of the happiest and most joyful pieces of music in the entire classical music genre.

Here is the track list.

1- Bourrée (Michael Praetorius) The live recording of the trio.
2- Afternoon of a Faun (Claude Debussy)
3- New Years Song #4 (Bela Bartok) from 44 duets for 2 violins. (total time from beginning to end: 34 seconds.)
4- Berceuse and Finale (Igor Stravinsky) from The Firebird Suite.
5- The Dance at the Gym Medley (Leonard Bernstein.) From West Side Story.
6- Tonight Tonight, (Leonard Bernstein) From West Side Story.
7- Cool/The Rumble (Leonard Bernstein) From West Side Story.
8- One Hand One Heart (Leonard Bernstein) From West Side Story.
9- Asturias (AKA Leyenda) (Isaac Albéniz)
10- The Magic Circle (Manuel de Falla) from El Amor Brujo.
11- Capriccio Espagnol (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.)

This is for those of you who have heard or read about my work, but have not heard any of it, or don't want to buy (and/or wade through) 3 CDs. I spent a lot of time programming this, and I believe it contains my finest work.

This CD would not exist, had it not been for b0b's encouragement and assistance. Therefore, I ask that you purchase it from him, rather than from me. It will be available from CD Baby and Amazon.com in the near future.

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 10 Jan 2012 10:49 am; edited 4 times in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2012 2:09 pm    

You can order this CD from my Kunaki.com page:
http://kunaki.com/MSales.asp?PublisherId=127339

It's the last one, at the bottom of the page.

I have to say that this CD flows really well. Mike made a special effort in remastering all of tracks to balance levels for a great listening experience. I've been listening to it in the background while I work. Very nice indeed!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 6:44 am    

This is a really great opportunity to get a "sampler" of Mike's work. I just finished listening to the lead track "Bouree", performed live with cello, viola and steel, and it really is excellent, a great example of how steel guitar can fit very appropriately into classical music. If you've ever been curious about what this Perlowin-guy is up to, here's your opportunity to find out, with his "best of" sampler. Smile

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 8:47 am     1-7-12

Mike, you have done a super job on this new CD, I really like the things from the West Side Story. These tunes are just great,...so is your talent, my friend.
You really need to get this one!!! Mike, You did good!
Ron Elliott

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2012 9:03 pm    

I agree with Jim, the Bouree is pretty amazing. It's live in a classical concert and Mike plays flawlessly and perfectly in tune, and I have to assume he's reading the part. If it's memorized, it's even more of a feat.

This album is a good way to get a sampler box of Mike Perlowin and hear how he's spent the last 20(?) years making the case for the steel guitar sounding great in a classical environment.

Joe

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 6:20 am    

It's always refreshing to hear Mike, who is truly unique in the art of playing steel guitar. I admire his ability, his long lasting commitment, and his contributions to the evolution of steel guitar. Well done my friend!

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 10:44 am    

I'm also a Mike P. fan. Adventurous stuff on the steel guitar.
Chuck

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 11:06 am    

Mike Perlowin has been an inspiration to me.
As a musician, it seems I'm always looking for new ways to see my instrument in order to get fresh ideas and to grow as a player. Mike's recordings opened up a new window for me. I admire his quest, which requires tremendous perseverance, dedication, discipline and talent to accomplish. This is a great way to help support the forum and open up more musical possibilities for our great instrument.
Bravo Mike and b0b!!

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 2:13 pm    

I too am a fan of Mike's playing, unique styles, and of course his song choices. About the only thing I don't like about Mike is he always asks me to sing backup on his live performances. I need to find better hiding places when he's out scouting for singers!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 11:01 am    

Thanks guys. You are all such great players, it's beyond flattering and humbling that you all have such a high opinion of my efforts.

I forgot to mention that all proceeds from sales of the CD that are made through the forum, will go to support the forum. I will (hopefully) eventually make some money from the sales at CD Baby and Amazon, but b0b will keep 100% of the money from his sales, to help keep this forum alive.

George McCann

Maui, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 2:26 pm    

Just ordered this from bOb. I'm looking forward to hours of great music.
thank you for putting this together.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2012 6:13 am    

The pedal steel is an interesting instrument, and we who play it are all tinkerers by necessity. And so, the instrument is constantly evolving - new instrument designs, more fascinating ways (from an infinite amount of possibilities) to go from a I to a IV chord, changes im tone and technique, etc., but there have been precious few true innovators on our instrument.

Over the last twenty years, Mike has been tireless in his efforts to adapt the pedal steel guitar to (what most of us know as) classical music, painstakingly recording music from 19th and early 20th century masters - everything from Stravinsky to Debussy, from Bernstein to Albeniz. Those of us who know Mike also know that he is somewhat of a perfectionist with his recordings.

So it is really nice that now all of us, from long-time fans to those just discovering his work, have the opportunity to hear the highlights of Mike Perlowin's music on this collection. I'm sure this will be a staple for steel guitar lovers for many years to cone. I wish this album the greatest success.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2012 12:02 pm    

I was thrilled to receive my copy of Mike's new CD about a week ago. It includes all of the separate recordings Mike has sent me plus more.

I feel honored to say that I am a personal friend of the man who recorded the first meaningful album of classical music on steel guitar.*

Mike,your performance on the album demonstrates your true mastery of the genre and the steel guitar.

Congratulations.

=========================
*This is not intended to detract from the works of Susan Alcorn
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.