The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7 string tunings
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 2:51 pm    

As there are a couple of posts regarding 7 stringers,can some of you kind folk suggest some 7 string tunings and string guages?

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 6:57 pm    

E7- EBDEG#BE Gauge would depend on scale and type of instrument, on Sho-Bro, I used, Phospher Bronze- 59w,42w,39w,36w,26w,18p,15p
you also can sub G# for the low B 49w, but I liked the B....I think JB used a variation of C6 like CC#EGACE, but I'm not sure,
Aloha,
Mike

Mischa Sobel

Cresskill, NJ 07626
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 1:34 am    

Just get any 8-string tuning and drop the bottom string.

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 10:08 am    

How about Shot Jacksons'tuning? I believe he tuned it from high to low, E B G# E B G# E.
All the best,-Andy

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2000 7:21 am    

Andy:
That was Shot's E tuning for not only his ShoBro but his 6-string Norwood Chime(drop the lower G#) as well.

Lately, with that tuning, I've used (top to bottom) 17p, 18p, 22p, 36w, 45w,56w, 59w. Shot always recommed lower gauges than this on the smaller strings, mainly due to neck stress, but it seems as if I get more volume and they stay in tune longer. I've done it for about 3 or 4 string changes.

[This message was edited by Ric Nelson on 17 April 2000 at 08:24 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2000 8:59 am    

Here are two of Jerry Byrd's favorite 7 string tunings:

E
C
A
G
E
C#
C

and

E
C
B
A
G
F
E

The first is his famous C6 tuning with and added A7th. The second is the "diatonic" tuning he developed in the early 50's.

If you ever see him play his double neck, in all likelyhood, the necks will be tuned like the above. With this one caveat. The necks are both 8 string necks. He only puts 7 strings on the rear neck for his diatonic tuning. He adds a low, low A note (8th string) to the above C6 tuning on his top neck.

Hope this helps.

Walk with Jesus and all things will be good,

carl

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 12:27 pm    

Hey Howard,
My favorite 7 string tuning would have to be a form of G6th which is low to high: G...B...D...E...G...B...D As you can see it's just the standard Dobro tuning with an E right in the middle. With this one you can play all the Dobro stuff plus that E string gives you swing and Hawaiian voicings too. For another tuning quickly out of this one just tune the 1st string up to E, the 3rd string up to G# and the 7th string up to G# and you've got an E7th for steel guitar rag and a lot of standard country stuff. To go even further in the E tuning you can tune the 5th string D to C# for some swing voicings. Another good thing about this is you've got the low 3rd on string 7. I think this is one of the most useful and versatile tunings you can find.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12