The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fender amps
peter joseph burtt

kings beach, ca, usa
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 4:52 pm    

anyone tried the fender hot rod deluxe or deVille? trying to find something close to twin reverb/bassman sound in a more compact amp. what about external tremolo boxes? any recommendations?

CellarCat

Chilliwack , B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 10:00 pm    

I just bought a Deluxe Reverb RI and it is a killer amp . it is kind of like the little brother to the Twin Reverb . Only 22 watts but lots of balls to jam with.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 11:07 pm    

There was a previous post on amps, but since I've got mine, I've seen prices start to go up....a Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb, is basically the same circuit as a Blackface Deluxe w/ a 10" speaker and one channel...I put a Weber speaker in it, Ted Weber's a great guy, told him what kind of amp and that it was for Steel, and he recommended a speaker that was PERFECT( California w/silver dust cap, not at all expensive, like $75), I did change the caps and rebiased, as well as retubed w/NOS USA Tubes...I highly recommend finding a Princeton,hand wired, just stay away from the pull boost models..PS...it is literally louder than my 50 watt Marshall !!! and I can carry it with one hand and my guitar with the other...And it has Tremolo as well as reverb...right now it is the only amp I use, except for studio steel work, I use a Tweed Champ...
Aloha,
Mike

[This message was edited by mikey on 20 April 2000 at 12:52 AM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:48 am    

Why do you prefer the Tweed Champ for studio work to the Princeton?

Just curious,

-Bill

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:55 am    

I tried the Hot Rod Deluxe but found it too loud for my needs. I couldn't get it to play at the volume I wanted. I bought a Pro Junior instead (15 watts, one 10 inch speaker) and am very happy.
Check Harmony Central for reviews of external tremolo boxes.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 8:59 am    

I tried the Hot Rod Deville and thought it sounded fabulous on E9 but did not have enough bottom end for C6.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 9:51 am    

I bought a tweed Blues Deville w/2-12s for my R&B guitar gig but soon found that it sounded FABULOUS with my Stringmaster.I kept the stock speakers but I had a bias control pot put in and retubed it w/NOS6550s - then experimented around w/preamp tubes till it sounded real sweet.I like it.BTW,the black tolex "Hot Rod Deville" is the same amp with an extra stage of gain(that you don't have to use) In fact,I don't use the hi gain circuit in the amp I've got-I just set it up clean and let the tubes purr.If you play blues or rock guitar thru it however or even David Lindley type rock steel,the extra gain gives you a "Marshall meets Super Reverb" kind of thing-also cool.Another good choice from the same line of Fender amps that no one has mentioned is the Blues Junior.It's got 15 watts(w/reverb)into a single 12" Also very sweet,punchy AND gigable.Trust me,virtually ANY amp from that series(even totally stock)would make a great amp for non-pedal. -MJ-

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 11:59 am    

anyone considered the 63 Vibroverb Reissues??? these are fantastic, affordable amps. In my opinion the new Fenders don't sound like the old ones did.
Correct me if I'm wrong but since the poster was looking for a Twin/Bassman subtitute I think he needs a powerful, clean amp !! I once had a 65 Twin Reissue that was extremely lightweight and you could find them for less than $600 used.

------------------
Fender Dual Professional
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 1:05 pm    

I've been playing Fender steels through a Hot Rod Deluxe for three years now and the amp still sounds as good as when I first bought it. This amp is a fabulous entry level steel amp, isn't terribly heavy and has a vintage look that appeals to me. Used ones are easily found for about $350.

peter joseph burtt

kings beach, ca, usa
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 5:01 pm    

hi everyone. thanks a lot for the feedback. curious about Brad's use of the pro junior. solo or otherwise? have tried them and the blues junior but assumed that they would be inadequate with a second guitar.

should explain the music i am into. i play kora (26 string west african harp; ie lots of tuning) and shona mbira (21 keyed thumb piano.) been trying to learn lap steel to back these instruments on recording and it is fast becoming my favorite instrument. now want to transpose to guitars for live performances. mostly picking off straight bar chords in the style of kora and mbira. timing is in 6/8 or 12/8...interlocking phrases, low to high against high to low staggered by an 8th. been using a 40 watt marshall acoustic soloist which has twin 10 inch celestions and 1 piezo tweeter. not happening for the steel.

will trip down to bizarre guitar/bizarre gun in Reno oin saturday to try out the amps you all mentioned.

thanks again,

peter joe

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:39 pm    

The Champ has a sweeter, purer tone, I don't need the volume, trem or reverb from the Princeton when recording, or tone controls for that matter, the studio has much better outboard gear than what is on the Princeton, and I always RECORD dry, but put revereb in the cans...but LIVE I NEED reverb....never use the trem...but I am a recovering reverbaholic!
Mike

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 6:25 am    

Tele,
I had a Vibroverb reissue and while it sounded very warm at home, out live it just couldn't keep up for steel - not enough headroom. Great guitar amp, but not very affordable anymore, they run $600-750 nowadays. That's a lot of scratch for what it is.

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 11:57 am    

Hi Chris,

funny that we meet in a lot of threads...

yes the Vibroverb isn't the perfect steel amp for a live gig, it need to be miked.
Funny that they are so expensive over there. I bought mine new for $650 and I changed the speakers to Jensen Alnico P10s. The such is much better, but you're right - it's a very good guitar amp, that I would only recommend for steel if you're looking for a vintage sound.
Andy