The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need tuners for my 1939 Ric Silver Hawaiian
Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 4:03 am    

Need new tuner assembilies for my 1939 Ric.

Would probably like ones with chrome tuner buttons to go with the rest of the chrome look of the Silver Hawaiian.

They are 3 on a side tuners the plate that screws to the back of the headstock is 4 1/8" long 5/8" wide the tuner posts are 1" tall and are spaced about 1 1/8" apart. 4 small screws holds the tuner assembly to the back of the headstock.

If you have some that will work email me.

[This message was edited by Mark Davis on 20 April 2000 at 05:03 AM.]

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 5:58 am    

Mark, check with Stewart-Macdonald's Guitar Shop Supply.
They sell tuner knobs. See page 83 in the Spring 2000 catalog.
Get the free catalog at : www.stewmac.com

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 12:33 pm    

Thanks Blake but I need the whole tuner assembly. The tuners turn stiff and thats probably why the plastic buttons broke off so easy.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 12:58 pm    

Mark: Usually a little oil will loosen the tuners easily enough. If they still stick, take them apart and clean them and the holes thoroughly with Flitz. Stuart Mac tuner buttons are an accurate replacement. Given the great shape this instrument's in, I'd sure try avoiding replacing anything that you don't absolutely have to!

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 3:06 pm    

Thanks Ian. I got the tuners to turn a little more freely by loosening the screws that hold the worm gear. I'm using epoxy to glue back together the cracked buttons. So will probably end up with a working set of original tunes but I still want some replacments to use just because of the better tuning stability and I think chrome or at least polished nickel plated tuners with shiny buttons would look better. I can always include the original tuners if I decide to sell it.

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 5:25 pm    

Mark,

You will probably not be able to buy new tuning gears to replace your old ones. All of the new replacement gears have 1/4" string posts which are slightly larger than the ones you have (7/32"). Also, I don't recall seeing any new strip tuners with metal buttons. They are all white plastic. You may be able to find some old Kluson strip tuners with the narrower string post diameter but they are expensive and don't work that great.

My Silver Hawaiian needed the original seven sided Pot metal Grovers replaced which were crumbling away. I bought the chrome plated tuners with scalloped knobs from Stewart MacDonald and found the sting post was way to short. The hole for the string to go through did not even cone out of the top of the peg head. Also the diameter was 1/4". I sent them back and bought a set of the Martin scalloped vintage tuners ($40.00) and they were almost a perfect fit. I had to enlarge the hole only 1/64" so it is impossible to notice. The mounting screw holes on the tuning keys were off slightly so I just slotted them a little . The screws actually cover the slots. They look as good as the originals and and the guitar is easy to tune and never goes out of tune. These are six individual tuners though, not three on a strip.

Good luck,

Harry

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:06 pm    

Listen to Harry folks. He knows from whence he speaks.

I searched the world over for a set of keys for my 7 strings bakelite Rick. NO luck anywhere. A number of music stores in the greater Atlanta area let me rummage thru huge boxes of old and newer keys. Nothing would work without some modification to the guitar. Which I refused to do. Finally a man in Texas sent me some keys he had taken off of an original steel that had been otherwise damaged.

So if you want to find replacement keys, I believe you are out of luck unless you are willing to to do some modification to the guitar.

If you do, be extremely careful on bakelite ricks. It is very brittle material and you can crack the entire neck in a heartbeat.

God be with you in what ever you try,

carl

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:23 pm    

Mark: Of course another solution is that you can trade me your mint condition Silver Hawaiian for my excellent condition one, on which the seven-sided metal Grovers work just fine. I only want to make your life easier.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 12:05 pm    

Grovers will work fine, I have them on my Bakelite, just don't use the bushing, only the barrel nut on the peghead side,
Mike