The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Conventions
Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 5:32 am    

Are there any conventions for No Peddler
steel guitar players?
Maybe they ain't many of us? (Arkansas Talk)

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 2:34 pm    

There's a Hawaiian Steel Guitar Convention held in Joliet, Illinois every year. Not much pedal stuff there. I don't have the details handy right now, but I can get them for you if you're interested.

George

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 2:49 pm    

Thanks George.
I would like to know about the date.
Even though I have bad memories about Joliet.
No, not the pen. My wife and I were married there 46 years ago and she is a mean old woman now, wont let me buy enough Steels.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 3:24 pm    

I'd be interested too. Is that THE convention for non-pedal?
Who plays there? How large is it..., short what is it like?

------------------
jaydee@bellsouth.net

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 10:20 pm    

The convention in Joliet is held in September of every year (not sure of the exact date, but I'm thinking the week-end after Labor Day week-end) and is sponsored by the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association. Frank Miller is listed as the primary contact for info. His address is as follows:

Frank Miller
3403 East Main Space 2714
Mesa, AZ 85213

Not sure if he's online or not. You may have to snail mail him for further info.

The lineup varies from year to year, but I believe Jerry Byrd has been there in the past. You might also want to contact Scotty in St Louis (scotty@scottysmusic.com or 314-427-7794), who sponsors the International Steel Guitar Convention. I believe he's also played there on occasion.

And don't worry too much about the Joliet area anymore. Al and the boys have been long gone

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 2:30 pm    

Just noticed... b0b has a link to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association on his links page. There's some info there on the Joliet convention.

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 12 April 2000 at 08:55 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 2:54 pm    

If ANY forum member has been to the Hawaiian convention, I would appreciate your emailing me. I wish to ask you some questions.

Thanks and may our Precious Savior bless you,

carl

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 3:02 pm    

Hi guys,

Don't leave me out! I am interested in the Non pedal Conventions and Hawaiian shows here in continental USA.

God Bless,

Terry J. Wood

Troy Cody

MEMPHIS, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 3:59 pm    

I was in Joliet for the 99 convention and all I can say is WOW!!!it was blast. Yes JB has played in the past. Some of the ones that played wereL.T. Zinn, Alan Akaka,Herbert Hanawahine and many more . Check the HSGA link for more info.

Mr. Breeze

Oulu, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 1:36 pm    

Don't forget the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Ho'olaule'a in Honolulu in May every second year (not this year).

Mr. Breeze

Oulu, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 8:12 pm    

I was wrong, it's held this year also. See http://www.hotspots.hawaii.com/hsga/events/events.html#PlaySites

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 5:03 am    

The Winchester IN, Aloha International convention is very nice. Friendly people willing to share information and tunes. Relaxed atmosphere. Sound system kept at a pleasant volume.

One hitch is the location. Winchester Indiana is a very small farming town near Amish country. It has only one motel that is booked solid years in advance for the Hawaiian weekend. In the past local townsfolk opened their homes (for a fee) to conventioneers. If you would like to stay in a hotel, the nearest is 25 miles away. Twenty five miles doesn't sound that bad to you I'm sure, but consider this... There is usually a get-together jam session that lasts until 11 PM each night. If you attend this and stay late, you must navigate dark country roads to get to your hotel.

They should really move this convention to a bigger venue like Muncie or Indianapolis.

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 15 April 2000 at 06:16 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 1:15 pm    

What has been said about that one motel is very correct. However, if you get your reservation in very early, and I do mean EARLY, there is a decent chance of obtaining or sharing a room. The convention is usually, but not always, held at the local school which is about a mile from the motel. But the fun really begins after the school sessions back at the motel which is called the OVERPASS MOTEL. It is here the gang gets together for informal jam sessions and seminars, usually in the motel's large garage, or in the various rooms. Since the motel is filled totally with steel guitarists, no noise complaints come from regular patrons as is the case in Joliet...where security shut us down a few times because of so-called "noise" complaints. I personally prefer this convention over the other. It's well worth investigating.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 15 April 2000 at 08:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 15 April 2000 at 08:11 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 1:24 pm    

If you click the yellow of "Keoki"...that is NOT me !!!!!!!!

HOME PAGE: http://lake.incentre.net/keoki/home.html

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 6:57 am    

I have been to the last two Joliet HSGA conventions and noise was not a problem at either of them. In my experiences, the evening jam sessions which frequenly last till dawn, where never shut down or dampened by hotel guests or security guards. These are sessions that took place in the lobby, convention hall or a smaller back room that previously was a restautant/lounge. Jam sessions in guest rooms my be a different issue.

Last year I struck up a conversation with a hotel security guard at 3 AM. He said that he welcomed our music, and it was nice change of pace.

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 16 April 2000 at 08:02 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2000 9:06 pm    

Perhaps things have changed over the years since I last attended the early conventions in Joliet. Yes, we played music in our rooms, but it was NEVER loud. Security told us to quit as it was annoying guests.