The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7-String Option
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 8:32 am    

We finally have Quality 7-string pickups and bridge parts available for $97 for the Teleratt or any Melobar models. Problem though, is that the supplier told me this morning that the demand doesn't look good enough, so it will probably end up a discontinued part-so I'm trying to buy all the inventory we can afford too. That's the hair pulling problem with being a unique type instrument and finding components. If you have a new 7-string in mind down the road - I'd advise buying those 2 components now and put them in a drawer for later.

Ted

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 11:15 am    

I don't understand, Ted. Why would I buy parts and put them in a drawer? Can a Melobar be upgraded from 6 to 7 strings?

I'm confused.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 1:01 pm    

Desk drawer Bobby Lee--not your under drawers--seriosly though the parts won't be available forever so if you think you might want a lap steel built that way someday, it would be worth getting those parts now from any source you can find them.

No a Melobar or any other lap steel can't be updated to a 7 string unless you can find a place to put one additional tuning key.

Ted

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 1:34 pm    

Speaking of 7-strings, Ted, is the upgraded SLS available yet?

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:38 pm    

Ted --

One good sign (or not, depending on your point of view) is the sudden popularity of 7-string electric guitars -- everyone from Ibanez to Washburn to Carvin is starting to come out with these, so that should mean that parts may be available from a number of sources for awhile. The latest Carvin catalog shows a seven string bridge, for example. Some of these regular guitar parts might be adaptable to lap steels (where's that big hammer...)

Best regards always,
Peter

*Melobar LS 6-string, Emmons 8-string (with only 7 in use), Gibson Earl Scruggs banjo*

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:55 pm    

Ian, yes in the SLS model and in the Teleratt and I'm building one now in the SXL.

Peter those are the parts I'm talking about. We were very excited to see a 7 string pickup and a 7 string machined bridge from the standard guitar parts factories, but those are the same suppliers that are saying the 7 string isn't catching on and they will probably Stop manufacturing those parts. So if you like the Carvin bridge I'd get a hold of one.

Ted

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 5:04 pm    

Hi Ted,

I just finished watching the video tape you sent me. WOW!! WOW!! IF you folks haven't seen or heard the guitars Ted is building look out!

Now Ted the decision of which one! I was interested in the Fiberglass Dobro, but now I see 2 other steels I want just as bad!

Keep up the tradition, with out letting go of the future.

Joe E

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 6:54 am    

Thank you Joe, we'll survive as long as we can in this biz. It has been blessed to have 7 people come together with the ability to play skies the limit in Lap Steel, I know, just like the above parts, it's not going to last forever either, so I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it. I'll tape this SXL 7-string when it's finished and get it on the video too.

Ted

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 2:43 am    

Ted that sounds great.Who is the builder of the 7 string pickup?

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2000 1:48 pm    

Several different custom manufacturers Andy.