The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Another Keepsake Memory for Me
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Another Keepsake Memory for Me
Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2011 5:39 pm    

Just recently returned from the trip that made it regretfully impossible to stay for all of the Convention. The time we spent on Friday and Saturday, though, (which was almost non-stop, well into the wee hours....as any gathering of music lovers oughta be)was absolutely as wonderful as ever! Just being in the environment of steel guitars in concert was great. I've missed the energy and comraderie that was still very real and apparent in that big, beautiful ballroom. The one-on-one connections with good, good Friends were far too brief, but could not have been sweeter or more deeply felt.
Being on stage there again with Russ and "the boys" was PREMIUM; adding the girls to the mix was... indescribable and unforgettable; right up there with a few other outstanding memories of times spent on that stage with Russ and some very special others over the years.
I wanted to express my gratitude to everyone who made all of our daughters feel so welcomed and special. (They always knew their folks were a little out of the ordinary....okay, a little odd, but, at least now they know there's a whole "colony" of us!)
Truth is, the whole Hicks Clan, and especially the little Hicks girls, had a ball in St. Louis; they are still beaming with pride for the great honor bestowed on their Daddy...and, so am I.

God bless and keep you all, my Friends,
until we meet again.

Love,
Laney

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2011 7:25 pm    

Hey Laney, sorry I couldn't be there, but I'm so proud of you and your family-you, Russ, and the girls are all great friends of mine. Tell Russ I said congratulations on becoming a member of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame!
Love,
Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Marcel Parijs

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 8:14 am    

Hello Laney,

I'll remember a couple of years ago that you did the talent show " Operation Russless". That was for me the Highlight from that weekend in St.Louis. Especially the last man from that show. haha...
Hope you ok with you family and I hope you come to Ireland this year with Russ. I'll be there.

Regards,

Marcel Wink

Marcel Parijs

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 8:17 am    

Forgot:

Maybe we do that Shuffle with no name Laughing Laughing

Wendell Gurley

CARROLLTON, GEORGIA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 6:13 pm     Thank You!

LANEY, THANK YOU FOR MAKING WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD SHOW AN ABSOLUTELY UNFORGETABLE ONE!!!!!!! YOU JUST MADE THINGS HAPPEN, AND WHAT A PLEASURE TO BE IN YOUR PRESENCE THE SHORT TIME WE GOT TO SPEND WITH YOU. THE TALKING YOU DID ON STAGE AS WELL AS YOUR SINGING, SURELY MADE THE TRIP TO ST. LOUIS WORTHWHILE-- THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR TALENTS AND YOURSELF WITH US. LOVE, WENDELL AND GLENDA

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 8:44 am    

Laney, It was wonderful to see you and hear your beautiful voice again! The late night jam was well worth the loss of sleep. The whole Hicks clan can certainly put on a show. Russ being inducted into the Hall of Fame was the icing on the cake. Take care until we see you again.
Debra and Bob

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:05 pm    

Laney,
It was wonderful seeing you again! I know this was a special time for you to go to Scotty's with your family for Russ's induction; but, surely do wish we could see you again SOON!

We all love you and miss you, Laney!

Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:32 pm    

Laney, just my luck that I decide to pass on the show that Russ is inducted, and to top it off, you show up again. Sorry that I missed on both of those, hope you'll come back again, we miss you.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:35 pm    

Donna Dodd wrote:
Laney,
It was wonderful seeing you again! I know this was a special time for you to go to Scotty's with your family for Russ's induction; but, surely do wish we could see you again SOON!

We all love you and miss you, Laney!

Donna

Like Donna said, Laney, We love and miss you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 9:08 am     Re: Another Keepsake Memory for Me

Laney Hicks wrote:
... (They always knew their folks were a little out of the ordinary....okay, a little odd, but, at least now they know there's a whole "colony" of us!)

You got that right, Laney. Not to scare you and Russ (and the girls), but my mother's maiden name was Hicks. Laughing

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 8:33 pm    

Brett, Hello to my favorite of all people! I hear that you and my girls have become great Facebook friends. I’m pretty much a dinosaur when it comes to network communications…..hey, I’m clearly challenged when it comes to the most “basic” of communications! (I don’t text, either!) But, it sure is good to be saying “hello” to you right here, right now, Darlin’. I know you’re playing that steel with all your heart and adding real class to the fellowship of steelers every chance you get. That makes me smile.

Marcel, I’ve always wished to go to beautiful Ireland….this year, the Festival will be accosted by not only one, but two HICKS fellows….Russ and Roger. It’ll be like double jeopardy! It’ll also be outstanding with both of them; Roger is a great Showman and you’ll have loads of fun with him…..and, that “Nameless Shuffle” sounds its best in its purest form, so I know you’ll serve it up well.

Wendell and Glenda, Thanks for hanging in there with us Friday night! It felt like an intimate gathering of a bunch of Friends in the living room, and I enjoyed the “conversation” immensely! One of these weekends, your wife and daughter are going to disappear….they’ll be with me……don’t be afraid…..

Debra and Bob, I’ve never seen either of you without a generous smile for me and everyone else. What a nice wake you leave behind you! I’m just sorry we were all moving too fast to sit down and share our Grandbaby photos this time!

Donna! Will you always be beautiful? I think yes! If only a pure heart could be bottled! Too bad so many young women don’t know the “secret” to beauty that you do. I love Tommy, too; he makes me think of Dennis the Menace…..TROUBLE….in a harmless sort of way…..most of the time. Seriously, he’s a good guy…….but, he’s definitely one of the luckiest “he beasts” in the jungle, girlfriend!

Ray, sorry we were not graced with the pleasure of your company in St. Louis; it really was fun, but, I’m sure Russ will share his joy of being inducted with you in Arizona at the great Show out there. He’ll probably require a hefty rider from now on, though….lots of Mexican food with hot peppers and the best spot on the show; wait a minute; that’s nothing new…..

Ron, when your Mom met your Dad, I’ll bet she was most eager to turn over that new “leaf”……Have you ever asked Russ about the possibility of your shared heritage? Do you have any relatives in the witness protection program?

Oh, my…..I miss you guys! I miss the fun of just being around you! Take good care, and thanks for saying “hello”.

Love Always,
Laney

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 5:08 pm    

[quote="Laney Hicks"]Brett, Hello to my favorite of all people! I hear that you and my girls have become great Facebook friends. I’m pretty much a dinosaur when it comes to network communications…..hey, I’m clearly challenged when it comes to the most “basic” of communications! (I don’t text, either!) But, it sure is good to be saying “hello” to you right here, right now, Darlin’. I know you’re playing that steel with all your heart and adding real class to the fellowship of steelers every chance you get. That makes me smile.

Marcel, I’ve always wished to go to beautiful Ireland….this year, the Festival will be accosted by not only one, but two HICKS fellows….Russ and Roger. It’ll be like double jeopardy! It’ll also be outstanding with both of them; Roger is a great Showman and you’ll have loads of fun with him…..and, that “Nameless Shuffle” sounds its best in its purest form, so I know you’ll serve it up well.

Wendell and Glenda, Thanks for hanging in there with us Friday night! It felt like an intimate gathering of a bunch of Friends in the living room, and I enjoyed the “conversation” immensely! One of these weekends, your wife and daughter are going to disappear….they’ll be with me……don’t be afraid…..

Debra and Bob, I’ve never seen either of you without a generous smile for me and everyone else. What a nice wake you leave behind you! I’m just sorry we were all moving too fast to sit down and share our Grandbaby photos this time!

Donna! Will you always be beautiful? I think yes! If only a pure heart could be bottled! Too bad so many young women don’t know the “secret” to beauty that you do. I love Tommy, too; he makes me think of Dennis the Menace…..TROUBLE….in a harmless sort of way…..most of the time. Seriously, he’s a good guy…….but, he’s definitely one of the luckiest “he beasts” in the jungle, girlfriend!

Ray, sorry we were not graced with the pleasure of your company in St. Louis; it really was fun, but, I’m sure Russ will share his joy of being inducted with you in Arizona at the great Show out there. He’ll probably require a hefty rider from now on, though….lots of Mexican food with hot peppers and the best spot on the show; wait a minute; that’s nothing new…..

Ron, when your Mom met your Dad, I’ll bet she was most eager to turn over that new “leaf”……Have you ever asked Russ about the possibility of your shared heritage? Do you have any relatives in the witness protection program?

Oh, my…..I miss you guys! I miss the fun of just being around you! Take good care, and thanks for saying “hello”.

Love Always,
Laney[/quote

Laney, I sure do miss seeing ya at our shows! I played a song I heard you sing as an instrumental last June and remembered how amazed I was when I heard ya sing it! Wish you could see my new steel!

Love ya!
Brett