The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have You Played Nonpedal On Any Recordings?
Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 12:59 pm    

I'd be interested to know if any of the Forumites have played nonpedal steel on any available recordings. I'll go first. I played my triple-neck Stringmaster through my Reissue Standel 25L15 on Josie Kreuzer's "As Is" recording on the following songs:

As Is
Just Lookin' Pretty
Hope It Doesn't Rain Today
Big City, Small Town
Passin' Through Your Heart
Too Many Mistakes
12 Dollars and a Heartache

And Rhythm Guitar on "Hey Sherrif" and Lead Guitar on "With a Sigh".

Also played steel with Josie on "Boogie Woogie Country Girl" which is on a European compliation CD: "Rockin' at the Barn".

You can hear some of these on her website at www.josiekreuzer.com or on Amazon.com.

And you?
DD

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 1:02 pm    

Jon Wayne "Two Graduated Jiggers"

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 12:32 am    

We have some other stuff in the can, but My band is recording a live album Tonight (4-7) with Vassar Clements at the Roxy Theatre here in Atlanta. A mixture of bluegrass, Vassar's Hillbilly Jazz stuff, and our originals, and some old chestnuts like Cindy Walker's "It's all your Fault"...Hopefully to be released as soon as we can get it mixed! I'll probably be using My Sierra 8 and Fender Dual Pro on about half of the stuff. Sure to be a blast!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 6:25 am    

I played a Dual Professional on Wayne Hancock's "Thunderstorms and Neon Signs," about 1/2 the album. Also, I played my Bigsby Reissue on "I'll Never Be Free," on the new and unreleased-yet Johnny Bush album, and on the soundtrack for a soon-to-be-released documentary on George Wallace, music direction by Marc Rubin.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 8:43 am    

And fine playin' too Herb! One of my favorite records.

For me, I'm on a few tracks of the Bourbonaires CD, and I was just in the studio yesterday with the Stumbleweeds playing both straight and pedal. So far so good!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 8:51 am    

I played my Stringmaster on 2 cuts of the much sought after Don McGinnis CD "Country Music" on Mule Kick records and tapes.And one time Earnest or Greg Leisz or somebody threw me some overflow session work where I got to play Hawaiian shtick for a TV sitcom pilot that(of course)never flew.Those residual checks would have been nice........... -MJ-

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 4:58 pm    

Most of what I've played non-pedal on would make Earnest's contribution seem postively mainstream...

But, off the top of my head... Played non-pedal on Poi Dog Pondering's 'The Big Walk' from the CD "Wish Like The Mountain And Dream Like The Sea" (on Columbia). I also played non-pedal on some of their early demos which I'm told have been released as an EP but I've never been able to find it.

Played some wacky non-pedal stuff on several Russ Tolman CDs, most of which are on BMG (or Blue Rose in Europe).

Anything else that's been commercially released is so obscure I'm not ever sure I'd be able to recall 'em no matter how hard I tried!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 7:37 pm    

Hi Dana,

I usually play my 14 string BMI on recordings but I have been working on a new Gospel CD for the past 15 months and almost everything I played on it was on my 1937 Chrome "Ricky" Rickenbacker.

I am very pleased with the sound and seriously considering using it much more often. The strange thing is when I listen to my playing on these songs, I hear the Jerry Byrd influence big time.

Once I recorded an instrumental tape on my SHO-BUD PRO I with 4 and 3 pedals and I never liked the tape, but everyone else did.

God Bless,
Terry J. Wood

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 11:32 am    

On my CD I play my early 50's gibson lap steel with G tuning through a match-bro for a dobro track. (didn't yet have one, but now have a beautiful 27 dlx) Played my 33 fry pan with C6 with string 6 a C# through a leslie for an organ type track. Another track is ric straight up for hawaiian flavored track. CD only available on my site, plenty of them here at the house holding up my coffee table. Thanks. Marc

[This message was edited by Marc Muller on 08 April 2000 at 01:54 PM.]

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 7:02 am    

I played my Fender Custom Triple-8 on Larry Joe Taylor's new CD on two cuts. "Two Steppin" and "Queen of the Redneck Riviera"

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2000 2:51 pm    

I did one solo on the Country All-Stars CD on lap steel. They were unhappy with my original pedal steel solo and wanted me to come in to redo it. To save my back I brought a Fender S-8, plugged it in, recorded 16 measures and was gone. They loved it. I leave it to you all to find it on the CD.

Also, "Sand" on my Quasar Steel Guitar CD was done on the back neck of my Stringmaster, in an A6 tuning. No overdubs! I'm pretty proud of that one.