The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '30s? Violin Project-Pls close (will sell on ebay)
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 10:09 am    

Any violin repairmen here on the Forum?

(Clearly no.)

I'm not going to be able to attend to this great-looking fiddle any time soon, so I'm making it available to violin connoisseurs and especially, repair professionals and luthiers.

I'm not a violin expert but have worked for years in musical-instrument stores and have written for guitar magazines and books, so I'm relying on this background in describing what I see here. This violin has had its finish stripped (some residue remains on the edges) and some stain remains (or has been reapplied) to the spruce top. I can find no cracks or obvious repairs. There is no bridge or tailpiece, but I do hear a soundpost rattling around inside the body. The neck's maple top surface has been taped off with a sturdy, well-adhering tape. Also included is an ebony fingerboard--uniform black and very dense and heavy.

The interior label reads <b>Giles M. Few / 1254 N. Alden St. / Phila PA </b>written in what appears to be black fountain-pen ink on a blue-lined label, visible through the bass f-hole. Most likely this is the maker's label which looks as if it could be 1920's-1950s. An internet search turns up a Temple University (Philadelphia) alumni publication which noted the passing of Giles M. Few <b>Jr.</b> the son of our maker here: <i>"Giles M. Few Jr., BS '51, EdM '60 / Giles grew up in North Philadelphia, the son of a craftsman who also made violins and fostered Giles' love of music..."</i> Giles Jr. was 89 at the time of his passing in 2009, so for Dad to be making violins in the '20s-'50s seems plausible and in keeping with the look of the label. I take from that that Giles Sr. was not necessarily a full-time violinmaker exclusively, but if you have the violinmaker books and know that he was, then you have my advantage. A look at Google Maps shows that 1254 N. Alden is more west than north of downtown Philadelphia, but I think our statistics here dovetail nicely.

The maple body and neck! Spectacularly flamed and <i>chatoyant.</i> Construction looks to be precise and expert. Purfling is inlaid, not painted.<p>I've priced it modestly, I think, but if I learn more good things about Mr. Few Sr. and his reputation as a violinmaker before a deal is consummated, I may increase it according to what further research may reveal. For now $395 + PayPal & shipping.<p>$50 Priority Mail shipping in the USA in the hard-foam-lined case shown. (I will refund any overage if actual cost is less.)