The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Forumites Instructional Video
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 1:38 pm    

Per my previous post ... Well, there appears to be a lot less interest in doing a shared instructional video than I had supposed. But I still think that it would be a fun project so here's what I'll do for those who have interest:

I'll edit together all the raw footage I receive from fellow forumites between now and May 1st, 2000.

This will be a strictly non-pedal video tape consisting of contributions from anyone who wants to participate by taping some non-pedal steel info you'd like to share. You can contribute one idea, lick, or a string of un-related ideas for any musical genre of lap steel, any level - Rock, Western Swing, Hawaiian, Jazz, Country, whatever. Each person's segment should run no longer than about 6 minutes (edited) but could be much shorter.

Shoot it on either VHS, VHS-C, Hi-8,or BetaSP tape. It's best to have a friend shoot everything at least twice: once in wide shot, explaining the lick or idea, and once with close ups of your hands or over-the-shoulder, looking down at the guitar from your perspective. The more different camera angles you give me, the better I can edit. Shoot close ups of your hands REALLY close. Try to choose a neutral, non-distracting background and wear clothing without a very tight, close pattern. Use the camera microphone or connect an outboard mike to the camera.

Send me your tape along with a note giving your name, location, type of guitar and any other pertinent info. I'll see how many tapes I get by May 1st and then edit the whole shebang together and make dubs for everybody who participates along with a few for b0b.

Here are some ideas for things to
demo on camera:

- tuning ideas
- palm & pick blocking
- favorite turn-arounds, runs, licks, chord
progressions, etc.
- ways to play II, V, I
- open string chords
- behind-the-bar pull licks
- anything you want

So ... thanks to everyone who responded! The main point is that most of us aren't professional players or teachers (though some are) but we can have fun sharing info. Sometimes ya just gotta see it to understand it! I'll await your tapes and give you a progress report in a few weeks.

Send tapes to:
Andy Volk
PO Box 111, T-11
Boston, MA 02117

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 28 March 2000 at 01:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 29 March 2000 at 05:30 AM.]

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2000 2:36 pm    

In case anyone missed this ...