The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster color
Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 5:05 pm    

I am going to buy a bucket of paint and a brush to paint my stringmaster. Would someone tell me what color was used back in 1955?
Thanks.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 6:26 pm    

According to Clay Harrel's web site, Fender used a variety of DuPont automotive paints on their guitars during that period.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Adam

Seattle,WA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 7:47 pm    

I don't think that's a good idea to repaint a Stringmaster like that.It's going to look like manure if you use a bucket and brush.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2000 11:48 pm    

It might screw up the sound of the steel also. Obsessive compulsives that are into this sort of thing will tell you about the old finishes that are now illegal are part of the tone.

Bob

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 6:02 am    

Thanks Brad, good site!
Thanks Adam and Bob, you have convinced me to send it to a place in Kankakee Illinois to get it painted.
They will strip off the old brown that looked like it was brushed on and make it like new. (they say)
Now if I can get the finger boards fixed somewhere and the hardware rechromed,Plus new pots. the 275 dollars I give for it won't be in vain?
BTW it is a 1955 triple neck Stringmaster and has a good sound.
Thanks All.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 9:50 am    

Make sure you take the 3 necks apart and paint them seperately and don't bolt them back together till they're completely dry.Sorry if that sounds obvious,but you DID say you were gonna paint it with a BRUSH... BTW,I think somebody said that Bobbe Seymore has the large old style Fender decals for the front apron. -MJ-

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 2:20 pm    

You might want to re-think your plan. By the time you pay for a refinish paint job rechroming all the tuners and parts new pots and electronics and fingerboards you are going to have alot more invested in it than a good used one would cost you.

Bob Hoffnar got my used 1957 D-8 Stringmaster which was used in Buck Owens studio here in Bakersfield for years. It had a few scuffs and dings in the paint job and some player wear where someone anchored their hand but the thing sounded just awesome. Its the best steel I have ever heard and the pickups in it made all my Strats and Tele's sound pale in comparison.

If you refinish it or change any of the parts it wont be worth as much to a collector.

My suggestion would be to sell it for around $300 get your $$ back you have invested in it and put that $300 with about $600 and get a nice all original one.

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 3:16 pm    

My suggestion would be to sell it for around $300 get your $$ back you have invested in it and put that $300 with about $600 and get a nice all original one.

You are probably right Mark.

Well Let me think.
I have a Showbud D10, Pedal Master D10, 2-T8 Stringmasters, National D8, Guyatone
D8, Guyatone S6, Morrell S6, Supro S6, Gibson S6, Epiphone S6 and 2-Kalamazoo S6
and a Fender S6.
So when I get the T8 Stringmaster finished I intend to keep it till I kick the bucket and
then it goes with me.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 4:24 pm    

I bet you ain't married...

-Bill

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2000 8:50 pm    

Didn't realize you had all those other steels to choose from. In that case it doesnt matter what you do to the triple neck one I guess.

I guess I assumed from your message about the bucket of paint and painting your steel with a brush you were a beginner steel player that had got something at a yard sale or something.

Hill Phillips

Alma Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2000 8:28 am    

Bill.
Sorrry , you are wrong, I am married but have a little problem. She is starting to think she
is as good as me.

And Mark, sorry I mislead a few folks about the bucket of paint and brush.
and I definitely play like a beginner and will always play that way even though I started
in 1948 with a round hole spanish guitar with a raised metal nut and a flat bar.

And Mike, I sent the guitar to Illinois in 3 pieces and thanks for the info. on the Fender
decals.
I purchased a 4 neck Fender from Bobbe that someone had revised it and added pedals on
the top neck. and I let a friend talk me out of it. (Jim Boen). Never again.

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2000 2:41 pm    

Hey Hill the main thing is your having fun so thats all that really matters. I sorta cringe anytime anyone refinishes a vintage instrument not only does it loose 50% of its value the sound of the instrument changes because the super thin nitro finishes the early Fenders were finished in lets the wood breathe and after 30-40 years when they are all completly dried out they just sound awesome. Hopefully they will refinish it in nitro but people usually use Poly cause the nitro is illegal to spray too much in the USA.

Once you get it back and all pretty take some pictures of it so we can see what she looks like.