Author Topic:  Tune Of The Week #27 - David Lindley
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 4:32 pm    

Lap Steeler: David Lindley
Group: El Rayo X (his band)
Tune: Mercury Blues
Label: Asylum 5E-524, 1981

I'm sure many of you know this great album. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago, and after his stint with Jackson Browne. Lindley's slide playing became the template for Nashville steelers who were called upon to play slide parts as country music became more rock and pop. He made two more interesting albums with El Rayo X, and was also a founding member of the eclectic band Kaleidoscope.

http://www.vinylbeat.com/forum/16-13MercuryBlues.m4a

Last edited by Joe Goldmark on 26 Apr 2017 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 5:07 pm    

A classic rendition by the Prince of Polyester, one I have on vinyl and cassette, but no CD.

And another American car brand bites the dust. It got me to thinking about my oldest brother's black 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente with the wide tires & deep dish mags, Hurst shifter and four-on-the-floor. That thing was cherry! Cool

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 10:55 pm    

I still have my El Rayo X LPs and was just looking at them this week. Can't believe it's been 30 years, they still sound just as good as they did when I was 19 years old, he was (and still is) a major influence on my playing.

I also have a Silvertone that Mr. Dave signed for me, it's the same one he is playing in this pic.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2011 3:21 am    

Big fan here! This is the stuff that got me started.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2011 6:17 am    

I tabbed the solo when it came out and remember the album sitting in my apartment when one of my brother's friends came in, looked at the cover and said,"Man, this guy needs a bath!" Smile

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 6:16 am    

If you ever get the chance to see one of his solo shows-make sure you do not miss it. The guy oozes music, the good kind you don't want to wipe off! Wink

Jay

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 8:23 am    

I worked as a Second Engineer at The Sound Factory in the late 70's and got a chance to meet David several times. It was the first time I'd ever seen or heard a Dumble amp. I asked him if he ever played PSG and he replied "yeah, but when I start playing one I look up and like 7 days has passed". I wanted to point out that David Lindley will be performing Sunday, 9/4 at Fulton 55 in Fresno. His solo shows are super fun!

Scott Shewbridge

Bay Area, N. California
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 8:45 am    

He's also playing at the Strawberry Music Festival at Mather Camp/Yosemite on Labor Day weekend.

The festival lineup includes Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk, California Honeydrops, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Tower of Power, The Wailin' Jennys, David Lindley, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, and the David Grisman Bluegrass Experience. Total bliss for me.

Mr. Lindley's work on Jackson Browne's Runnin' on Empty really made that album, in my opinion. The section just after the intro on Mercury really mirrors that vibe. Great Stuff.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 5:54 am    

How did I miss LP originally? Great stuff.

Thank you Joe for these weekly tunes. I'm downloading this record right now from Itunes.

Curious, is the tone on the slide work in Mecury Blues indicative of the Dumble amp?

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 7:56 am    

IMHO all the El Reyo X recordings are worth having in a collection-Very Greasy, Win This Record all have some outstanding work by David on them. There is also a live recording however I have not been able to locate a copy.
I know the studio sessions at the Sound Factory I worked on, JB's "Hold Out" and Warren Zevon's "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" that had David on them used the Dumble amp, and I'm pretty sure he used them live also.

James Nottage

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 12:28 pm     David Lindley

If you haven't done so, check his web site. He does sell cds, including at least one of the El-Rayo X albums.

http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi