The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A little about Rick Schmidt
kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 6:53 am    

Hey everyone... I posted something in new products but its really a huge recommendation for one of the most humble guys I know.. In fact he is a couple of notches past humble, self-effacing, jokes about himself and doesn't think he is worthy. Rick is going to kill me for doing this but this is getting back at him for all the times he is on bass and vocals, staring down at me on steel all night, getting into my kitchen so to speak.

I just heard that Rick is offering remote video skype lessons. If you have not heard of Rick or seen him play, you are missing a truly remarkable experience. He's got an unbelievable musical past, musical sensibilities and musical family, his mom is in her 80's and plays the piano like Oscar Peterson. Rick is one of the most musical cats I have ever met. He is a gifted multi instrumentalist. He has like horn sections going on in his head at all times and one of the most dug musicians in southern California.. I am going to be the first in line to get me some of that. For me it's like getting lessons from a west coast Buddy Charleton but a little different.

Knowing Rick, we are going to get way more than our moneys worth. He'll show me the "other stuff" that I really love. I would give his email address out here but he doesn't know I'm doing this.. I would say get a hold of him and email him today to get a spot...

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 11:25 am    

Rick is a MONSTER and anyone considering lessons from him would be most blessed

Rick, if you're reading this, I still have a video tape of your that I borrowed in the 80's!!!!!!!!!

KE
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

Jeremy Long

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 12:33 pm    

Hell YEAH! Can't wait till I have a few spare bills to rub together so I can get my "learn-on"! My brain is still buzzing from his C6 seminar but I'm ready for more!!

Thanks for the post Kevin, and GREAT playing with the California Rangers. Are YOU doing any online teaching as well?

Jeremy

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 1:12 pm     Do it!!!!!!!!!!

As a long time friend & student of Rick's I can offer him my highest recommendations. He is seriously one of the greatest (& humblest) musicians on Earth! I am already working with him on getting my Skype lessons scheduled. A lesson with Rick is worth it's weight in gold!

Thanks again for all you've done for me Rick!

Jim Hollingsworth

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 3:22 pm    

I'd like to know half of what Rick's forgotten...
Take advantage of this one, folks.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2011 11:43 pm    

Skip, you aren't kidding!

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 6:10 am    

I'm so glad that we've finally have gotton Rick to come to the SWSGA shows this last two years, to demonstrate the abilities that he has. He shows off on bass and vocals also.
The guy is a fantastic musician, well schooled in theory and inventive in his approach to a song.
Pretty damn good personanlity too.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 6:10 am    

Rick is not only a monster, but is one of the most musically knowledgeble players out there. As well as being a great guy. I recommend!

James Allison

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 7:30 am     Rick Schmidt

I lived in Orange county for a few years and would go hear the Rangers in Oceanside on fridays. I can't say enough good things about Rick. He is really one of the best players anywhere..I've played with some of the greatest Steelers ever (Bobby Black, Dan Tyack, Joe Goldmark, Buddy Charlton and Jay Dee and others) and Rick is most certainly as good a player as as any........

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 12:44 pm     Oh baby !

I have to ditto all that was said above. Rick is golden, thru and thru. He designed my D-10 copendent for me and man am I glad he did. Very practical pulls. Love it.

So how do you do this Skype thing? I don't think I need a mic or camera if I have a Mac Book Pro do I?

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 1:29 pm    

Here's a link to a thread that spans more than 5 years, where Rick posted his fabulous interpretation of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat". Seven pages of well deserved praise. For some reason the link to the song doesn't work anymore. Maybe this post will help it be resurrected for others to hear.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=89088&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=porkpie&start=150

I'm still moved by his performance of "Porkpie" and listen to it regularly. I'm still hoping he decides one day to record an album. I'll be one of many declaring to be first in line for the results of his efforts.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2011 4:53 pm    

Actually, Rick posted a few new tunes to Steel Guitar Jazz.com - they were cut with a band and are mind boggling! I actually think Rick is from another planet inhabited by super-human musicians! But he is a nice guy too!

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2011 9:06 am    

Thanks Kevin and everybody for the kind words! I'm really honored! Yes I'm gonna be focusing on teaching quite a bit more now that my day job has come to a (not really unexpected, but no less of a bummer) screeching halt. Oh Well

I think I have some insights to share that could help demystify the steel for players who are trying to correspond what they're hearing in their heads to their instrument. E9, C6, U12, and non pedal (C6 and open D) with emphasis on building chords, improvising, and a general overview of harmony and theory. If you want to get into jazz, I'm only too happy to go that direction too. Cool

Email me through the Forum if interested.

One again, thanks Kevin Ryan for your nice endorsement brother! (FYI, Kevin is a great steel player and educator himself!!! Check this out: http://kevyx.com/index.html

Cheers, Rick

Last edited by Rick Schmidt on 28 Jul 2011 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 5:59 am    

I am fortunate to also have Rick teaching out of the store and always marvel at what he comes up with- a true master.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 6:48 am    

On top of everything else that has been said about Rick, he also created, and showed me a great setting for the compressor on my POD XT.

His setting is now part of my signature sound

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 8:42 am    

Thanks again guys....

I just fixed the above link to Kevin's cool website. Check it out!!!

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 12:54 pm    

I like Rick! He's a great steel player, and he surfs!!

GB

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 7:42 pm    

I too have had the nerve-ripping experience of playing steel while Rick stood next to me playing bass...I wanted to grab the bass, seat him at the steel, and get some real-time lessons while we were touring Scotland.

At one venue during sound check, he asked if he could play my steel, and I told him only if he'd leave some of his licks on it...he didn't, so maybe I can get those licks he owes me on Skype now.
Wink

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 8:28 am    

I keep looking for the new Rick Schmidt CD with a tilt like:
"Introducing the Latest Legend" or something along that line.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 9:40 am    

Rick Schmidt,Is a Super Talented Musician & a true friend to all. I've been Blessed to pick with him many times over in years.Sincerely his friend,Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. & Family. Very Happy

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 8:23 pm    

As great a musician as Rick is (and that is an understatement), he could have a sucky attitude and no one would blame him. Problem is...he is such a nice cat. Damn Rick...you're making us all love you!

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 8:24 pm    

repeat from mobile

Last edited by Miguel e Smith on 31 Jul 2011 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 9:21 pm     Skype Update!!!

I have been talking with Rick about his plans for his Skype lessons and he is going to include all facets of musicianship:
Technique, Theory, & Songs/Licks within the learning context. My next Skype lesson is next week. I will post a rundown of how it went. Before my move I bugged Rick for private lessons and all I can say is they were amazingly informative ( not to mention inspiring & mind boggling!)

I think this'll be the next Big Thing.

Jim

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2011 7:04 am    

Rick is awesome...no matter what instrument he touches!! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2011 12:30 pm    

Dave Burr wrote:
Here's a link to a thread that spans more than 5 years, where Rick posted his fabulous interpretation of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat". Seven pages of well deserved praise. For some reason the link to the song doesn't work anymore. Maybe this post will help it be resurrected for others to hear.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=89088&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=porkpie&start=150

I'm still moved by his performance of "Porkpie" and listen to it regularly. I'm still hoping he decides one day to record an album. I'll be one of many declaring to be first in line for the results of his efforts.

Here is a link to an mp3 clip for anyone who want to hear Rick's great version: http://www.steelguitarjazz.com/audio/RICK_SCHMIDT-Goodbye_Porkpie-clip-0-158.m3u

Ad