The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cowboy Eddie Long
Al Bettis

Houston, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2011 12:52 pm    

Here are some pics of Eddie Long, yours truly and Cowboy's BMI taken a couple of weeks ago backtage at Willie Nelson's Throwdown Tour stop in Del Mar, California, San Diego County Fair. Jamey Johnson was playing on the tour along with Randy Houser and Lee Brice (for whom my son Travis plays lead guitar - they let the old man sit in for a tune which was a big thrill).

Eddie was in great form and is a really nice guy. The coolest thing in addition to the country licks was a killer extended blues solo during Jamey's set.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2011 7:30 pm    

Cool. Jamey Johnson is in heavy rotation on my ipod. Love Cowboy's playing.

Neat pic!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2011 8:10 pm    

I love the steel work on Jamey's cd "That Lonesome Song". A few weeks back, I played along with the cd on my Jackson Steel. Two of my favorite songs to play along with on the cd are "The Door Is Always Open" and "Dreamin' My Dreams With You". I think both songs work really well with the steel. I love how the steel cries on "Dreamin My Dreams With You". Another song on the cd that is great for steel is "Angel", which was written by Jeff Bates. Eddie plays great on that song too.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2011 4:58 am    

Cowboy is the man. I have been playing his tuning for months now. It is the only way to play a universal.. Here is a pic of me getting a lesson from cowboy at the HOB. He has taught me so much.
A true hero.

Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 7:40 am    

What is the copedent?

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 11:41 am     Cowboy's copedant

http://www.beckmusicalinstruments.com/Copedants.html

Dan

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 2:18 pm    

COWBOY EDDIE LONG Smile Smile Smile Smile

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 6:35 pm    

There was a video on YouTube awhile back that featured Cowboy on steel with Hank Williams Jr in 1989 and in the video, Hank was playin' "Born To Boogie", and he decided to play several instruments, so first he played the drums, and then he went over to Cowboy's Sierra steel and started playin' a few parts of "Steel Guitar Rag", while Cowboy watched him. When Hank finished playin', he slid the bar and Cowboy got the bar and played through the rest of "Born To Boogie". Cowboy played that same Sierra in Saluda, SC a few years back. He's now playin' a BMI steel and his playin' is awesome with Jamey Johnson. He played for Kenny Chesney for five years.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2011 6:39 pm    

Eddie is an awesome player.

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 7:39 am    

Brett did you, or anyone else, downloaded that clip to your harddisk? Because it is gone now and I sure like to have it. I play that Sierra now.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 3:18 pm    

Did a front show for the Bama Band about 26 years ago and Cowboy used my two Nashville 400's. He was wearing a duster and he covered the Nashville's with it ! Have no idea why but he had a reason I'm sure. He was a nice guy and a lot of fun to be around. Can't say that for Hank Jr's bass player. He was Devil to be around. Cowboy and I were both playing Sierra guitars at that time. Great old days !!! Smile

Dan Sliter

Dardanelle,Arkansas
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 6:10 pm    

His is on a Elite Seat. I know because i built it for him. Tell Them Cowboy!!!!!!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 7:49 pm    

Bas Kapitein wrote:
Brett did you, or anyone else, downloaded that clip to your harddisk? Because it is gone now and I sure like to have it. I play that Sierra now.

Bas, I have no idea where the clip is now-it was on YouTube a few years ago, but I think it got removed for some reason. I have no idea who posted it, but it was a great clip. However, there is a clip of "Cowboy" playin' the Sierra in Saluda, SC on YouTube-type in Cowboy Eddie Long.

Brett

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 6:36 pm    

Dan Sliter wrote:
His is on a Elite Seat. I know because i built it for him. Tell Them Cowboy!!!!!!

That is one of the best built seats I have ever seen. When I got behind Cowboys steel 2 weeks ago I could not believe i was sitting on a steel seat.
It is very very sturdy. If Cowboy is using it it has to be. He is real rough on equipment.

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 2:59 am    

Thanks Brett,

I knew that one.
But very nice of you to respond

Bas

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 3:00 am    

Thanks Brett,

I knew that one.
But very nice of you to respond

Bas

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2011 1:51 pm    

You all knew that I am his down-under cousin - right ?? Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ray Kedge

Middlesex, England
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2011 2:34 am     Eddie Long

Great intro and turnaround on Jamey Johnson's Lonely at the Top,and on the live version he's having a ball.

Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 3:48 pm    

I'm just a lap steel guy, so I don't know if I'm allowed to join this thread, but I've been listening to "That Lonesome Song" every day for the past few months, and I LOVE Cowboy's playing! He inspired me so much, I actually strung up my Zum S-10 and sat down to it for about 5 minutes, before coming to my senses. KEEP RIDIN', COWBOY!

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee