The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doug Jernigan--The Cream Rises To The Top
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2011 4:27 pm    

I just got back from a steel guitar show in Greenwood, Indiana. Lot's of steel players which included Dewitt (Scotty) Scott and Doug Jernigang. Scotty was very good on his fry-pan playing Jerry Byrd tunes. Doug Jernigan absolutely set the place on fire. Standing ovation for Doug. I'm sure many of the steelers in attendance, including me, headed for home to destroy their steels. Good six hour show ending with the Jernigan man. Doug seems to have gotten better with age. I remember Doug from 35 years ago and his touch, although very good back then, has really improved. When you see Doug you immediatly discover why he is considered at the top.
Dave A. Burley
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2011 5:20 pm    

absotively!

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2011 6:42 pm    

I heard myself from Mr J in Bobbe's store one morning after a jam with two of the best in 'the business' at the VFW that he looks, or did at the time, at it as whether or not he feels like being spanked. To him, getting 'whupped' is something that is optional.

He simply chose and/or chooses not to be.

When it is "optional" like it is for Doug, I certainly don't see why he would choose otherwise.......

Smile

EJL

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2011 8:53 pm    

Nobody whups Doug...it just cant be done...some play different than Doug but certainly not better...

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 2:53 am    

Listening to Doug's version of "Arkansas Traveler" on his, "Speed Pickin' and Country Ballads" CD should make a believer out of anyone.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 3:37 am    

First rule if playing in a jam session with Doug is.....don't let him call the tunes! If you do he will murder you. If you don't he will only half murder you. Laughing

He is an all time great and is such a nice unassuming person too. I love to watch and hear him play, especially slow standards on C6. His knowledge of chords and music in general is extensive.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 12:44 pm    

Catch some of Doug's recent work on the new Jake Hooker CD "One Man Road". Jim Loessberg reported Doug was playing a 1972 Emmons Fatback. Fantastic steel work.
And last Friday we got to hear Rick Price live doing his magic on many of the songs from the CD; some good pickin' by Rick!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 2:37 pm    

i considered doug amongst the gods way back on the vassar hillbilly jazz days! as you said, no one is better than doug.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 5:12 pm    

I was there too, and my jaw is still dropped on the floor!! It's amazing how clean, effortless and perfect all of his notes are. I agree with what Scotty said... He gets better all the time. I dont' know how that is possible but he does. His "Streets of Laredo" just blew me ( along with everyone else in the room.) And for the record... I was very impressed with not only the tone of Scotty's fry-pan but how masterful he is at bar slants. Some guys still believe he's got a pedal hidden under that steel somehwere. I looked and couldn't find one, but thats not to say that he doesn't hide it in his pocket when no one is looking. Thank you to all of the performers yesterday for sharing their great talent with us. And a big thank you to Sharon for not only doing such a great job with the steel show but for allowing me to sit in on lead and be a small part of it. I truely enjoyed myself.

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 6:30 pm    

Doug Jernigan has been my favorite steel player since 1961. The photo below was taken in 1962 at the Air Force base in Fort Walton, Florida. The Guitar player with the DiAngelico New Yorker is Clyde Kendrick. He laid the foundation for Doug's Pop and Jazz abilities. Make no mistake, Doug was a monster on both necks at this early age.

I took the photo below at Albert Johnson's shop in Tallahassee. Doug was trying out his push/pull after Albert refurbished it. Doug gave us about a three hour concert playing with tracks. My favorite pop song is "Body and Soul". Doug's version is the best I've heard on PSG. Also when Vassar Clements and Doug played "Old Black Magic" on one of Vassar's albums, Doug's ride blew me away.

I be da bass player. Leon

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 7:14 pm    

Guys, I have been a part of a couple of jams that Doug was a part of. He is absolutely a perfect gent. When he calls a tune, he considers the capability of those involved and sets the tempo accordingly. I've talked to him away from the crowd and asked why he did some of the songs slower than we probably should. His response was because he didn't want to intimidate the less seasoned players. It's not all about him with him. It's about everybody. A man among men. He's a giant both musically and personally. Whip.
Excel S12 8x9 blue
Excel S12 8x9 black

Earl Hensley

Las Vegas Nv.USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 11:31 am     Doug Jernigan

I have known Doug for many years now and I must say , he is probably one of if not the
number 1, nicest person you ever want to meet.
We have had a great friendship for years and any time you need help, he is right there to help.
God Bless ya, Doug

Earl
from sunny Las Vegas
Epiphone Les Paul, potato-bug mandolin

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 11:47 am    

Jake Hooker "One Man World" CD a classic!