The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marshfield 6th Annual Steel Guitar Show
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 7 May 2011 2:09 pm    

The Marshfield 6th Annual Steel Guitar Show show will be held on Saturday June 4th, 2011.

The Steel Guitars and Country Music Show will be held once again at the Historic Marshfield Jubilee Theater. We will start playing at 10:00 A.M. and the day's events will last til around 7:30 p.m.

We are really booked up this year and if your name is not on here then you will be scheduled for 2012. Since we are only a one day show it's the best we can do to schedule players and singers.

This years players and guests:

1) Jimmy Sentlinger and saxophonist Phil Armstrong
Nixa and Joplin, Missouri.

2) Jerry Smithe and Cowboy Church Band, Southwest, Missouri.

3) Keith Hilton and friends, Ozark, Missouri.

4) Jerry Newberry, Van Buren, Arkansas.

5) Jerry Roller, Fort Smith and Van Buren, Arkansas.

6) Austin Stewart, Mullberry, Kansas and Branson Ozark Mountain Opry Show.

7) Special Guest 2011 - Mr. Dave Musgrave, formerly Ray Price Cherokee Cowboys, Hank Williams Jr. Band and The Judy Lynn Show Las Vegas, Neveda.

8)Jimmy Dreadfulwater and Cherokee Band, from Talequah The Cherokee Nation Capitol, Oklahoma.

9) Gordon Dotson - Julian Tharpe Disciple and fantastic player of the 14 string steel guitar.

10) Dan Burnham - Greenfield, Tennessee representing the BMI Beck Musical Steel Guitar Company.

11) Jack Musgrave, Rogersville, Missouri and Branson, MO Shows.

12) Bobby Garrett - playing steel and helping us to MC this year's show from Hartford, Arkansas

13) Larry Gerderman - playing fine steel comes from Northeast, Missouri.

14) Terry Wood - host and playing steel, Marshfield, Missouri.

Backup Band and special guests:

1) Wayne Florang - Drums
2) Kevin Haffey - Bass and vocals
3) Leon Lindsey -Piano
4) David Tunnell - Piano
5) Lisa Ray - Fiddle and vocals
6) Curtis Trent - Sound and Recording
7) Ken Gresham - Publicist and Advertising
8) Chester Wood and Band

Hope to see you all there! This will be a super show!

Saturday June 4th, 2011
Marshfield, Missouri

Any questions call me at 417-468-2102

Terry Wood

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2011 10:51 pm     Show

I played this show last year and had a great time as Terry knows how to put on a great show and I see that he has a good lineup for this year, so be sure to attend if you are in the area.

Herby Wallace

David Tunnell

Marshfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2011 5:55 am    

Terry,
It sounds like a very nice line-up this year. If you will post the admission price information, I will send out an invitation on Facebook. There are a lot of local people, as well musicians from the area and people from the Forum that are Facebook friends.

Also, as I have in years past, I am posting directions to the show. I posted them in different colors for coming from different directions so they would be easy to tell apart.

If you want a map to the Jubilee Theatre, go to the following link, enter your address in Box A, and enter the address of the Jubilee Theatre in Box B. The address for the theatre is 109 E. Commercial, Marshfield MO 65706.

Here is the link (sorry I don't know how to make it pretty and short):
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--

Here are directions in written form:

COMING FROM THE WEST (SPRINGFIELD/JOPLIN/TULSA):
TAKE I-44 EAST TO EXIT 100 (MARSHFIELD)
TURN RIGHT ONTO HIGHWAY 38.
CONTINUE ON HIGHWAY 38 FOR ABOUT 1.5 MILES (THE ROAD WILL CURVE TWICE, BUT STAY ON IT).
YOU WILL COME TO A 4-WAY STOP.
TURN RIGHT AT THE FOUR WAY STOP ONTO CRITTENDEN STREET.
GO ONE BLOCK TO THE STOP SIGN. THE JUBILEE THEATER IS ON YOUR RIGHT. PARKING/ENTRANCE IS ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE BUILDING.

COMING FROM THE EAST (ROLLA/ST. LOUIS):
TAKE I-44 EAST TO EXIT 100 (MARSHFIELD)
TURN LEFT ONTO HIGHWAY 38.
CONTINUE ON HIGHWAY 38 FOR ABOUT 1.5 MILES (THE ROAD WILL CURVE TWICE, BUT STAY ON IT).
YOU WILL COME TO A 4-WAY STOP.
TURN RIGHT AT THE FOUR WAY STOP ONTO CRITTENDEN STREET.
GO ONE BLOCK TO THE STOP SIGN. THE JUBILEE THEATER IS ON YOUR RIGHT. PARKING/ENTRANCE IS ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE BUILDING.

COMING FROM THE SOUTHEAST (WEST PLAINS/POPLAR BLUFF/CAPE GIRARDEAU):
TAKE U.S. HIGHWAY 60 WEST TO DIGGINS (APPROX. 4 MILES WEST OF SEYMOUR)
JUST PAST DIGGINS, TURN RIGHT ON HIGHWAY A.
FOLLOW HIGHWAY A APPROX. 12 MILES.
IN MARSHFIELD, HIGHWAY A MAKES A SQUARE CORNER. JUBILEE THEATER IS RIGHT ON THAT CORNER. KEEP GOING STRAIGHT INTO THE PARKING LOT.

These directions should get you there. We hope you will come out June 4. [/code]

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2011 9:10 am    

Thanks Herby and friends,

Yes, the admission price is only $10 for the entire day and children 12 and under are free. You may come and go during the day as long as you keep your ticket stub.

Players and their wives get in free of course. However, there has been some concern about this, because in the past several have tried to bring or did bring several people, some as many as 4-5 people and friends with them to get in free. Sorry if this offends anyone but if you do this, and caught you will be asked to leave, regardless!

The $10 covers the renting the the building, the advertising, paying the backup musicians, etc. We do not have a steel guitar club here. This is all done for the love of steel guitar and truthfully, I have lost money most of the 6 years that I have hosted this show. It is from year to year for us whether we survive. I hope you all will support us. Just being up front on it, so you know where we are coming from.

This will be a great show and it's dedicated this year to Rob Parker, Ralph Mooney, Ferlin Huskey and the other greats we lost this past year.

Thanks and hope to see you all on Saturday, June 4th, 2011.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood

David Tunnell

Post  Posted 9 May 2011 9:50 am    

I just sent a Facebook invitation to 526 people, so hopefully that will help get the word out, so people can come to this show. It is always a good time.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 12:40 pm    

Many thanks David,

This is going to be a really great show this year!

We have some nice surprises in the line up this year too!

Hope you all can make it on June 4th!

GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2011 1:11 pm    

Regarding this year's special guest Mr. Dave Musgrave, the first time I ever heard Dave, he was playing steel for Ray Price.

The show was in the Hammonds Hall Center at SMSU Springfield, MO. Dave was awesome on steel as was Ray Price!

I won't mention any names, but after we listened to Dave with Ray the other main act, well we walked out on them. Dave had his Emmons and it was Honkin' that day!

Well, we have wanted to get him to our show here for several years now, one year he had a broken foot and leg and other years he was already booked up. So, I am really looking forward to hearing and seeing his playing at our show!

Hope you can all come!

Thanks!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2011 12:41 pm    

Here is another bit of trivia for you concerning our guest this year.

Dave Musgrave recorded the song titled "The Other Woman," before Ray Price recorded it. Go to You-tube and type in Dave Musgrave and the song title "The Other Woman." This was recorded early to mid 1960s. Dave did a great job singing the song. My dear friend and a mentor the late Zane Beck played the Mooney/ West Coast type steel guitar on it.

Dave and Zane were good friends.

Just thought you guys and gals would enjoy this.

Thanks!

Terry Wood

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 13 May 2011 2:19 pm    

Looking forward to playing on this show again this year.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 13 May 2011 8:11 pm     Marshfield Steel Guitar Show

Terry,
Looks like a really good show. What is the best bet for those of us who may want a motel?.............thanks and looking forward to being there...........clark

David Tunnell

Post  Posted 16 May 2011 5:49 am    

Clark,

There is a Holiday Inn Express. Phone # 417-859-6000.

Also, there is the Plaza Motel. 417-859-2491.

And, there is the Dickey House Bed & Breakfast. 417-468-3000.

I don't know about prices. I am sure the Dickey House is the highest, because it is the fanciest. It is 1 block from the Jubilee Theater. The others are on the interstate.

I have never stayed in any of these, so I don't know anything about them. I am just helping you out with phone numbers.

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 6:28 am    

Terry, you've got a good line-up, ole buddy! I like to hear all those guys play! (That is, the ones I've heard.) I sure hope you have a big crowd to come and support your show. That Dave Musgrave is a special guy and a tip-top steel man! You certainly have a tremendous show, no longer than you've been going. We've attended all the previous shows, but this year we'll be out of town preaching and singing the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 12:17 pm    

Hi Clark,

David is right about the motels in Marshfield.

Also Strafford is only 10 miles west with a few motels.

Springfield is about 25 miles west of us. There are all kinds of motels, restaurants, bass Pro World Headquarters, etc. in Springfield, MO.

Prices are reasonable in the area, much more so than Branson and other tourist areas.

Hope to see you at this year's show!

Thanks and GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 8:50 am    

BMI Beck Musical Instruments - Steel Guitars are to be one of the new vendors here this year at our annual show.

I have been informed that Don Fritsche the owner will be here too.

Hilton Pedals
GFI Steel Guitars
BMI Beck Musical Instruments
Zane Oi Steel Products

These are just a few of the vendors and players will have their CDs and tapes with them too.

Hope you all can make it for a Great Steel and Country Music Show!

Thanks!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 1:07 pm    

Well Keith,

It's only Ten Days til Blast Off but who's Counting?

I hope you got your Mooney Chops up!

Thanks!

Terry

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 25 May 2011 5:33 pm    

I loved Ralph Mooney's playing, but I am going to be doing a whole different style this year. Terry, I think the audience gets tired of hearing the same Ray Price/Bob Wills songs played by the same payers over and over. I would like to say something to the guys playing these steel shows--"Play Something Different--IF YOU CAN". I hope the audience can understand some Robert Randolph type stuff. I will probably be playing the old beat up guitar I recently bought in a pawn shop. It is the best sounding guitar I have ever put my fingers on. This old pawn shop guitar sounds so good it curls the hair of people on the front row.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 6:20 pm     Marshfield Show

Hello! Hello! Keith's comment,
"Terry, I think the audience gets tired of hearing the same Ray Price/Bob Wills songs played by the same payers over and over."
I hope this is not the attitude of most of the players who are playing the Marshfield Show. If it is I won't be coming.
What's wrong with playing the time tested songs that most of us have grown up with and love.
I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Robert Randolph nor would I sit and listen to someone trying to imitate him.
Just my opinion but since others are posting theirs I'll post mine.................clark

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 25 May 2011 7:38 pm    

Good for you Clark, I like a man who stands up for what he likes. Maybe I'll play "Faded Love" just for you. Maybe we should make it a rule, no fuzz boxes or wah pedals allowed at a steel show. If that is what you think everyone wants Clark, I will play all Ray Price and Bob Wills. Do you have some song suggestions. I'll play what you want Clark.

David Tunnell

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 5:43 am    

Clark,

There will be a lot of good country shuffles and western swing songs played throughout the day, regardless of what Keith plays during his set. I sure hope so, because that is what I like best, too. So please come, you will not be disappointed in that department.

And Keith, I am glad to hear you plan to mix it up a little. It is good to hear something different. I just hope I can keep up with you.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 26 May 2011 7:31 am    

David, I am sure you can handle anything I play, as you are a great player. I do plan on mixing it up. I have been playing some different "line dance" instrumentals at the dances, and people seem to like them. By the way David, I will be playing straight steel guitar without any fuzz, wah wah, or any other effect--just pure steel. Also David, I won't be imitating any Robert Randolph material, even though I enjoy listening to Robert and his band.
I am past trying to imitate people like Buddy Emmons, Ralph Mooney, or Robert Randolph. I am going to try my best to imitate Keith Hilton as he is my favorite player.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 4:44 pm    

Hi Clark,

There is plenty of shuffles and Bob Wills type music played. Good music never gets boring for me. Jerry Byrd said if it's good music it will last the test of time.

Keith plays a mean Country Shuffle and David can play just as mean a shuffle on the Ivories. I have played with both and recorded with them, they can do it.

Dave Musgrave will be here and he played almost 12 years altogether for Ray Price, and 3 1/2 years for Jeanie C. Riley when she was on top of the world. He played for Judy Lynn and others in Las Vegas and worked 4 years doing clinics with Shot Jackson and SHO-BUD and Gretch guitars. He will tickle all of our ears with his playing. Also he's very funny to boot!

We do take requests for songs. I always include at least one or two of Hank William Sr. songs and Don Helms was not only a hero of mine, he was a good friend.

Lots of great music and fellowship at the Marshfield Steel Guitar Show!

Thanks and hope to see ya all there!

Terry Wood

Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 4:44 am    

Terry, let us know when you get a time schedule made for the show. I am interested in the times all the different players go on

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2011 5:37 pm     Looking foward

Terry
Me and the BMI crew are looking forward to being there. I will be Playing
My 14 string tharpe model there on the show this year.[/i]

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 6:32 pm    

Schedule of The 6th Marshfield Annual Country Music and Steel Guitar Show

1) Jimmie Sentlinger - 9:45- 10:15
2) Keith Hilton - 10:20 - 10:50
3) Bobby Garrett - 10:55 - 11:25
4) Terry Wood - 11:30 - 12:00
5) Lunch Break 20 minutes 12:00- 12:20
6) Jerry Newberry - 12:25 - 12:55
7) Jerry Roller - 1:00 - 1:30
Cool Austin Stewart - 1:35 - 2:05
9) Dave Musgrave - 2:10 - 2:45
10)Jimmy Dreadful- 2:50- 3:25
11)Dan Burnham - 3:30 - 4:00
12)Gordon Dotson - 4:05- 4:35
13)Jack Musgrave - 4:40 - 5:10
14)Dinner Break 30 minutes 5:15- 5:45
15)Larry Gerdeman - 5:50- 6:20
16)Chester Wood and Friends - 6:25 -7:25
17)Show closes -7:30

Hope you all can attend. This will be a special show with all the new players and you will really enjoy the variety of players if you love steel guitar!

Thanks and GOD bless!

See you on Saturday June 4th at the Marshfield Jubilee Theater!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 6:39 pm    

If anyone needs to contact me they may call my home number at 417-468-2102.

If you call and I am not there leave a message and I will return your call.

The schedule for this year's show is set and please no changes.

We try to accomodate everyone.

Thanks!

Terry Wood