The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  wtb New Computer Tower
GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2004 8:35 pm    

hey Guys,
I'm lookin for a new Computer tower.that has all the new update. who can give a good deal or if like and new case or rack space.maybe we can trade.I need a fast one , my old computer is a emachines.it has been a good one for me but i think it time to move up please send me your phone # and best time to call.

------------------
Gary Phillips
JUST-N-CASE PLUS
D-10 8/5 Desert Rose Steel Guitar

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2004 10:08 am    

Get one on ebay or just build one.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session 12

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2004 3:27 pm    

Gary - You didn't say what you want to move up to or why, but E-Machines are still one of the best all-around deals going. I have a number of them and run a lot of high-end CAD software.

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 6:39 am    

Gary;
Almost any new name brand computer will serve you well, but only if it has a firewall, and it is enabled.

If you get a computer with Windows XP, whether Home Edition or Professional, insist that is contains SP2 already installed and configured.

If you do obtain one in trade, or from a Forumite, with Windows XP Pre SP2 installed, order the Windows XP SP2 CD, free, from Microsoft, and update the computer before connecting it to the Internet.

It takes approximately 5 seconds online, with an un-firewalled computer, to have it compromized with Trojans, Backdoors, and other hostile programs or adware/scumware.

One can obtain a fair amount of protection against hostile incoming traffic by purchasing a broadband router that also contains a firewall, such as the D-Link Di-604, which I use.

I use the external router hardware firewall, backed up by the Kerio Personal software Firewall, on all of my home computers, plus Norton Anti Virus 2004, and AVG AntiVirus, both with Automatic Updates turned on.

I filter all of my incoming email through Mailwasher Professional, to eliminate, or report spam, and also scan everything incoming and outgoing, with Norton's email scanner. I also use AVG by Grisholm, as a second line of AV defense.

If this sounds like paranoia, I would remind everybody that the definition of paranoia is imagining the everybody is out to get you. What I speak about is true, they are out to get us! I am in computer security.

On a side note, and highly relevant, keep forwarding any new Nigerian scam emails to me.

Wizardo

David Spangler

Kerrville, TX USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 7:55 am    

Gary, try looking at www.tigerdirect.com. You can call them and they will configure one for you or send you all the parts to assemble yourself. I have bought 3 kits from them with good results and $ savings.

------------------
David Spangler

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 8:02 am    

Anybody have any history/success/failure stories for the newer Serial ATA drives? They are fairly new on the market in this area and integrators are starting to use them in machines. Seems some of the newer motherboards are being made with both Serial ATA and the legacy IDE interfaces. Any recommendations?

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2004 6:06 pm    

Hey Bobby Hunter.can you send me your phone # please and best time to call.I will tell you what my computer is doing and maybe you can help me. is hard for me to put it to words on here

------------------
Gary Phillips
JUST-N-CASE PLUS

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2004 6:36 am    

Ray Minich asked:
quote:

Anybody have any history/success/failure stories for the newer Serial ATA drives? They are fairly new on the market in this area and integrators are starting to use them in machines. Seems some of the newer motherboards are being made with both Serial ATA and the legacy IDE interfaces. Any recommendations?

I have both types of drive in my new, self-built computer. The Serial ATA drive has a faster seek time than the IDE drive, and a bigger buffer, for the same money. My Asus motherboard uses a built-in Raid Controller to operate the SATA drive, and all I would have to do is add a second ATA to the second connector, then activate the Raid configuration program, for Mirrored writes. Of course, this slows the write process slightly, but it would probably work out the same as the speed of an IDE drive.

The warranty is also longer on SATA drives, which are built to tighter specs, and are meant for serious users, businesses and ISPs.

I have had mine up and running for one month straight, with no problems.

Wiz

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2004 7:56 am    

Thanks for the info Wiz, just spec'd a machine with a SATA drive at the integrator's recommendations and hoped I hadn't jumped the gun on "bleeding edge" technology. Regards.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2004 8:18 pm    

Ray;
You might be interested in these quotes I took from VTEC, where they discuss the advantages of Serial ATA over Parallel ATA:
quote:

The transition to SATA hard drives has been controlled, and currently computer mainboards allow connection of either parallel or serial ATA hard drive storage. Eventually parallel ATA will be phased out and SATA fully implemented.

This entire subject really belongs in the Computers Forum. The OP was interested in buying a used computer, but we are now discussing advanced technologies.

Wiz

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 6:17 am    

Hi

I buy new Dell 4600 on ebay all the time for customers with no issue at all. Nice boxes. Usually around 500.00 delivered to CA.

My 2 cents

Mike

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 7:53 am    

<< Anybody have any history/success/failure stories for the newer Serial ATA drives? They are fairly new on the market in this area and integrators are starting to use them in machines. Seems some of the newer motherboards are being made with both Serial ATA and the legacy IDE interfaces. Any recommendations?

I built my present system over a year ago. CPU is a P4 3.2 Ghz with 1Gb RAM. Total storage capacity is over 250GB with 1 IDE and 2 SATA drives. They all work very well together, and the SATA drives are, of course, much faster.

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 7:06 pm    

Hey Guys, I like to Thank Bobby Hunter.for help me to fix my compter just in 5 min he had it all free up, I think Bobby is the Buddy Emmons of compters the next time I need to ask a ? about compter, I will call Bobby.Thank you Bobby.

------------------
Gary Phillips
JUST-N-CASE PLUS