The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Hankins-Who`s playing steel??
Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 10:50 am    

Hi
I just got an old 45 record that turned out to be 2 steel instrumentals.I wonder if anybody out there know this band,and who the steel player might be.
The record is: Bobby Hankins-Stompin`at the Savoy / A string of pearls-Audio deLuxe records 103.
It seems to be recorded in Oelwein,Iowa.
I don`t know if Bobby Hankins is a steel player,or if he is a band leader.If so,who can be the steeler? I assume the record to be from the 60`s/70`s. Pedal steel,but got a nice 50`s swing touch to it.That`s natural for that kind of songs.
Any idea?
Regards,Egil.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 11:47 am     Bobby Hankins History

Egil Hal Rugg was with Bobby Hankins before he moved to Minneapolis in 1958,
I heard a reel to reel tape that Hankins sent to a booking agent for some possible bookings that Hal was playing on, However, If the record you
have was cut after 58, It could be Lefty Schrage that has the NE Iowa show
in Waterloo Iowa,"Lefty did play for Hankins" but a few yrs later, I spent a lot of time with Hal from 58 until he moved to Nashville in 62or63, Both Hal, Terry Bethel & myself played the Flame Cafe in Mpls during that era, Actually, Hal left for Nashville with Red Sovine & Terry with Mel Tillis! Some real glory years, Those were!
Regards! Al Udeen

Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 2:55 pm    

Was Bobby Hankins from, or would he have settled in southern Michagin in later years. I knew a Bobbie Hankins that had a radio show, and
I beleive he got into Gospel music later on. DW

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2011 6:09 pm    

It could have been Hal or Lefty, or possibly Al Ricchio, or maybe Billy Wayne. I would love to hear those tunes as I am a Hankins fan from way back. I grew up in Oelwein Iowa where he lived. Doyle if the Bobby you are thinking of was from Coldwater, Mich, he would be the same guy.

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 16 May 2011 12:57 am     Track example

Hi
I found the post on ebay where I bought the record,there are a soundclip if you check down the page a bit.I am not very good at this,but if things work out,you will find a link to this page.
Thanks for your inputs so far. PS-The record must very well be from the 50`s,it sounds that way!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=370504611093&view=all&tid=0

Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2011 7:20 pm    

I think the steel player could well have been Zane Beck who preceded Hal in the band in the early 50's. It wasn't me.
...lefty

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 18 May 2011 11:01 pm    

Hi Lefty.
Thanks for your reply. Since it was not you playing on this 45 record,do you have any idea from what year/period it may be from? It can maybe help to come closer to whom it may be.Who played with him those years.
Regards,Egil.

Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 4:09 am    

hi Egil,

There is a typo in my post, i.e., I think Zane preceded Hal in the "early 60's" (not early 50's). I joined the band sometime in 1964 and played lead while Billy Wayne and/or Alex Riccio were on steel. Both Hal and Zane preceded them. I will check w/ Bobby's daughter to see if she has any records from back then.

...lefty

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 10:02 pm    

I'm sitting here with Bobby's daughter, Dixie who is a first class drummer here in DFW. She says that Hal was hired by dad from the Flame in1960 and stayEd till Hal moved to Nashville in late 62 / early 63. She is not sure if Hal is on the records you mentioned. But if it was done between 60 & 63 it would be.

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 10:52 pm    

Hi Johnny.
Nice to hear from you,and the family of Bobby. The problem is that there is no listing anywhere on the record that indicate what year it was made.Sometimes they do,but not here.
But thanks for your input,very interesting!
Egil

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 9:11 pm    

Hi Egil,

I have a "Bobby Hankins Show" LP from 1967 from Oelwein, Iowa. It lists the steeler as Lefty Rite! Also, Johnny, it credits 12 year old "Little Dix" on drums.

Joe

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 12:58 am    

Joe is that the album with the band on the front and the picture of Bobby and Barbara Jean on the back? It has a blue cover? Lefty Rite is actually my friend Lefty Schrage. They called their guitar player Buddy Nite.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 8:29 am    

Well, that makes sense. Lefty Schrage it is. Yes, it's the same album.

Joe

Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 3:49 pm    

Thanks Craig. If my memory serves me right Bobby had a music store there, and had a radio show called Hymn time country style, I beleive. Johnny, if you don't mind, ask Dixie if she remembers a festival in Wolf Lake Ind. I beleive she was there with her Dad. I won't steal away from this thread anymore. Thanks again, Doyle