The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Introduction to 6 string Lap Steel DVD - review
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 9:38 am    

I've gone through this 1.45 hour DVD bit by bit and can highly recommend this to any beginning 6 string steel or Dobro player. This DVD hits on what students want to learn. They want to know how to play! No songs taught- just great styles of music: mostly Blues, Country, and Hawaiian. Well filmed (split screen) and 100% instruction with no “fillers,” showing-off, or lots of stories (thumbs up!). It’s exactly what you pay for… how to get up and running on this wonderful instrument.

BASICS
I’ve started newcomers on Dobro before and can see the insight Michael's acquired from years of instructional experience when it comes to his presentation on basics: How to hold the guitar, how to hold the bar (he calls it a slide), a bit about picks, and getting that fluid steel guitar sound. The DVD begins in low bass “G” tuning and ends in a high bass “Dobro” tuning. All the basics are here: hammer-on’s, damping, rhythm, vibrato, double-stops, harmonics- with several progressions accompanied by rhythm guitarist Michael Roach. This is where you actually learn to play with others or for others. [hint, hint]

THE STEEL GUITAR SOUND
Michael does not neglect the unique voicing and flavor of the steel guitar! He makes it a point to express that aspect of this instrument in both instruction and because he says so right on the DVD! The concept of this DVD is basically three part: A) To get you up and running quickly on the instrument with a fluid sound. B) Learn some progressions and stylings you can immediately impress your friends with. C) Prepare a road that leaves the student in charge of their direction; “Don’t copy what I do, do what you want to do.” Not just a toolbox for steel but so much more because you actually learn to play the instrument. This is what I liked most. If you've dabbled with steel guitar or play a bit now, this DVD will keep you interested. This is where you'll learn to expand your current skills as well.

I’ve played steel guitar and Dobro for 25 years and can highly recommend this DVD to any beginning player. There are others I like as well that teach 1 particular style (8 string Hawaiian or Western Swing for example) but this is by far the best introduction I've come across for the 6 string player. Branch out from this DVD. Michael has struck bedrock in this introduction to steel DVD. It’s all you’ll need to get started. Learning steel guitar will always improve your playing on any other instrument as well;-) That's my tip! This DVD is Available HERE from Euro Blues.

Eric Ebner
Austin, Texas

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 7:08 pm    

I will add that Michael Messer's "Introduction to Blues Slide Guitar" is excellent too He teaches you to play "ideas". Excellent camera work and angles too.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 6:57 am    

Eric,
Quote:
There are others I like as well that teach 1 particular style (8 string Hawaiian or Western Swing for example)

I'm interested to hear your recommendations for both Hawaiian and Western Swing.

\ Paul

Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 10:58 am    

Paul,
Paul Seager wrote:
I'm interested to hear your recommendations for both Hawaiian and Western Swing

Bob Brozman’s Learn to Play Traditional Hawaiian Steel Guitar Bob's music got me started on steel guitar in 1982.
Cindy Cashdollar’s Learn to Play Western Swing Steel Guitar I like to keep things local so this pic was easy;-)
Mike Neer’s Steelin' From the Masters Classic steel. Mike's a great guy as well.

I own all three of the above discs. There are many others produced by the players on this forum! George Boards and the Late Rick Alexander have some good instructional materials for purchase and free clips on YouTube as well. Michael asked to review his disc and I was proud to do so. It's really good stuff! I think the G major tunings are a great starting point as well... it's where it all began Wink

John Broughten

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 3:51 pm    

Where can this be purchased in the USA?

Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 7:30 am    

SOON AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.A.
I've contacted Euro Blues to send me a case of these discs and will offer them in US dollars with US shipping in the next couple of weeks on the Tribotone website. Due to Dollar/Pound exchange rates this disc is currently quite expensive in the USA. Having them here will avoid exchange fees with the weak dollar and overseas shipping. They will be priced like any other U.S. product.

Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2011 6:11 am    

Now available HERE and shipping from Austin Texas.