The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tune Exchange
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 10:54 am    

I was talking to Mark Sorensen (on a Cell while he was driving truck somewhere in AZ!) this morning, and he had an idea I think is great, A Tune exchange.

We are all woodshedding and practicing and if we aren't in a band, sometimes it's hard to motivate ourselves on a new lick or we wonder if it really is coming off right. I get tapes in from guys just wanting to share what they are doing and I really like it. You're sharing in the same instrument and it usually get's me wanting to sit down and play. I'm not talking about tab exchange but having a tape of the songs played at the local hall last night or just your latest repertoire.

I don't really think it is a matter of how good you are, more importantly when you're practicing- someone can give some helpful hints on phrasing or timing that can really help, and even send back a tape of what they are talking about and give you something to play with and get the timing or whatever right. I finally became a distributor for Rebel Records and the Record Depot just so I could hear songs that you never hear on the radio, so I could have someone to play along with.

I'm not real sure how to put it together-so more people can share in it. So any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I'm open right now to getting a mailing list going from all the people I'm now in contact with, and simply asking anybody that wants to share a tape or video or play a tune and ask for advice on improving it, to let me know and then we'll break them into music catagories and if you see someone you want to share with, send them a tape.

I personally am ALWAYs open for any music and have a Stereo going in the shop of the music sent in.

We may be able to tie it in some way with the Forum, I think the biggest problem is most people are shy and afraid they might get criticized, but it's one or two people listening and I'd rather be a better player and get instruction myself. I think we have a neat group here on this Forum that would be nothing but helpful and fun.

If you're interested let me know.

Ted
ted@melobar.com

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 26 February 2000 at 11:03 AM.]

JERRY FERMIN

CLARKSVILLE TN
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 3:14 pm    

A little off subject sorry..!but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a used guitar,one of those six string models that you can play standing up, I really want one but just can afford to shell out for a new one.I saw one at gruhn guitars nashville but, it was sold quick THANKS JF

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 11:08 am    

Hi Jerry,
There's a Melobar 6-string Skreemr model like what we have on the web site www.melobar.com, used at the Nashville shop, you'll have to call Gary for the price, 615-395-0044, otherwise email me at the site and I'll see what we can do price wise. You should be able to get into one around $600.

Ted

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 11:25 am    

I have always thought a CD of UNSIGNED forumites would make a great recording as well as a way for Bob to make some money to keep this thing going, as well as give some folks exposure...last time I talked to B0b about it he wasn't too interested, but I still think It would be a great Idea, I'd love to submit a tune for it, as well as hear some of the other guys work..I don't have a great studio, just an old portastudio and a couple of decent mikes...but I'd still love to be included
Aloha,
Mike

[This message was edited by mikey on 28 February 2000 at 11:30 AM.]

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 12:06 pm    

I'd really like to hear what you're doing Mikey. I think if we ever could get it started it would go and go. And then have some of the best stuff go on a CD and just give it to Bob, I think he's so busy that he just doesn't have the time.

For just an exchange we really don't need great recordings. I've had guys do tunes for me at Bluegrass festivals with just a hand held recorder that did well enough for me to get the song down and have a tape to play along with. Video is best because it records and plays to pitch.

Ted

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 28 February 2000 at 12:07 PM.]

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 4:25 pm    

Aloha Ted,
Sure, I'd be happy to send a copy of my Demo, just send it to Melo-Bar?
Aloha,
Mike

JERRY FERMIN

CLARKSVILLE TN
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 5:47 pm    

THANKS TED ILL GIVE HIM A CALL

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 7:19 pm    

Great Mike, Melobar is fine attn Ted/Tunes, CD-cassette any format. Let me know what instrument and tuning on each song if you can. You've got my curiosity pegged. But I don't want to know how warm and comfortable it is over there, or hear any surf with palm leaves in the wind, I'll be eating my heart out!

Hey Jerry if you're close to Nashville he has a shop there with our guitars to try out.

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 28 February 2000 at 07:20 PM.]

JERRY FERMIN

CLARKSVILLE TN
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 6:29 pm    

I am close to Nashville .whats the name of the store?

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 7:46 pm    

King Bee, Gary Gilbert 615-395-0044. He sold some stuff this last week but we have a Steelgitr there to try out and an SXL and a Supersteel are on thier way.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 9:47 pm    

Jeez, now I have to go out and sample, Rainforests, Volcanos, girls on beach,swaying palms, surf, etc...only problem is...it may be 80+ and sunny, everyone in the world comes out here, bringing every virus in the world w/ them...I've had the Flu for 3 weeks now...and my friends on the mainland say, " I didn't know you got sick out there!!!"
Aloha,
Mike

JERRY FERMIN

CLARKSVILLE TN
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 9:52 am    

coool

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 1:09 pm    

I'm interested in the exchange. Let me know whats going on.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 4:02 pm    

I think that tune exchange is a great idea Ted , I'd be interested in taking part .
Ingo.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 8:14 am    

I'm up for it Ted.
If there are any other UK Steelers in the West Midlands, we have a really nice recording studio at the College where I work,

------------------
Cheers!

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 9:13 am    

Aloha,
I was wondering, does anyone know if a Standard CD player will play Mini Discs?..I may buy a MD recorder ( I've seen them for under $200), just so I can make a CD Demo,from my portastudio, let me know via, email,
Mahalo,
Mike

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 10:25 am    

Roy Thompson has been sending me emails with 1 minute clips of tunes that sound good on my cheap computer speakers and have really been fun to listen to. I'm thinking of maybe a Tune Exchange page on our website where you can just post a tune like that and anyone can click on and hear different melodies etc. and hear what a lap steel can do.

What do you guys think...??

How tough is it for anyone to record on thier computer like Mikey is thinking of there? Is the software expensive? Maybe I can buy a case of them and give them to new Melobar buyers or something so we all have the abililty to let the world hear our latest efforts?

I don't know much about this so any and all info is very welcome.

Ted

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 12:18 pm    

Ted:
From my experience you do not need special software to make a short sound file (wav) and attach it to an email message.
If you have a sound card in your computer the capability is there. It is not CD quality but it works.
I have a procedural that I will try to post hereunder in a seperate post for info and discussion.

Roy

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 12:21 pm    

Here is the Procedure I use for emailing sound wavs:

How to Make Digital
File From Cassette

Step 1: Make a cassette recording of your steel playing. Keep it short, say
under a minute. This allows for an extended lick, verse or chorus
of a song. Wavs can be longer but they take a long time to download
unless you compress them with Winzip software.

Step 2: Now you want to get your music saved in a sound wav file on your
hard drive.

Procedure: Requirements....

1. A Sound Card.
2. Cassette Player ( a walkman will do)
3. Audio Cable with 1/8" to 1/8" stereo miniplug
4. Sound Software ( all sound cards come with some type of software to record audio)

Procedure:

Take the audio cable and plug one end into the headphone jack of the cassette player,
walkman etc. The other end goes into the "audio in" of the sound card.

When you play a cassette , the sound should come out of your computer speakers. (Don't proceed any further until you accomplish this). After doing so go to your start button and find your soft ware. Look under multi-media for creative wav studio etc. IF YOU HAVE SOUNDBLASTER LOOK FOR ‘SOUND OLE' AND CLICK ON IT.

A cassette should come on your monitor. It works the same as a regular cassette. Push play on your cassette, click on record and away you go. Experiment with your settings. When you get it to your liking you can save in a file in the normal fashion.

You can also put a mike into the ‘mike-in" of your soundcard and record live, play or talk etc.

After saving prepare your email message and use the procedure to attach the file.

Hope this helps. If not email me your questions

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 03 March 2000 at 12:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 05 March 2000 at 04:28 PM.]

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 3:12 pm    

That sounds like the answer!

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 7:29 pm    

I have actually ran the output of my mike preamp to alesis miniverb to 1/4" to 1/8" adapter directly into the mike input on my "puter, for a WAV file, I think it is set for CD quality, but 1 track of about 3 min is like 3 megs, so unless you have a T1 line it takes a while to download...but I have been looking into a lot of digital alternitives...and if you could play minidiscs on a regular CD player...man, that would be happenning...I've seen Fostex digital 8 tracks for $600, but you still need something to copy to, and I don't know if it has a standard analog out so you can make standard cassettes...needless to say, my Tascam is a Porta 1 and I bought it new at least 20 years ago....so I think going digital may be a better route than buying that new SG...then again....
Aloha,
Mike

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 10:03 pm    

Hey Mike,

The mini disks are smaller versions of a 3.5" floppy. Not quite the same thing as you were thinking probably. They do make smaller disk but you still need a regualr CDR to record on them. CD recorders for computers have come way down, this may be an answer. OPtcode is making some great devices that you can input audio into the computer. From your porta output right into the computer. E-mail me if you want to discuss furture.

[This message was edited by Joe E on 03 March 2000 at 10:05 PM.]